“Wonderful location”
Review of Hotel Mezquita

Hotel Mezquita
Ranked #28 of 65 Hotels in Cordoba
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Fantastic location overlooking the main attraction in Cordoba, the Mosque, and surrounded by cafes, restaurants and little shops. Beautifully furnished rooms and public areas, nice bathrooms, helpful reception staff.

Just one tip - they suggested we drive to the hotel then on to the car park: don't do this unless you want to navigate some very narrow streets. Follow the signs for Mezquita Parking (it's very well signposted) and walk to the hotel from there - it's only a 5-minute walk.

Room Tip: We paid a bit extra for the view of the mosque and the room was quite a bit bigger than the standard...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This place couldn't be in a better position! Right in the middle of the old town, in the middle of it all. The hotel is stunning, with antiquity and charm in abundance!
Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable and the bathroom had all the amenities of a 4 star plus hotel.
The staff were very helpful and the wi fi strong enough to Skype without hassels!
This is must stay in beautiful Cordoba.
I highly recommend !

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I visited Cordoba as part of a touring vacation in Portugal and Spain. We stayed two nights and Hotel Mezquita turned out to be a good choice - though we got off to a challenging start.

If you have a car you need to make sure you get good directions to the parking garages - I used the one by Old Jews Gate. You can go directly there, park and then pull luggage a mile or so to the hotel (about 5-8 minutes) or you can try to find the hotel - which is right across the street from one of the main gates to the Mezquita - unload, and then drive to parking. Either way it's inconvenient and difficult to navigate. Many of the streets are closed to traffic or open only to certain vehicles - including those of people booked in hotels. If you do drive into any of the rerstricted areas you MUST give your license plate to hotel clerk so that the police can be notified by midnight and you do not get fined (they record license plates from cameras placed all around the restricted areeas).

The hotel itself is good - not great. The room was small and the furnishings and bed somewhat spartan. The breakfast os very good and the location simply cannot be better. After the hassle of parking we really loved the fact that the hotel was always nearby - and both days we retruned during the day for a little R&R.

The hotel staff were great - though I had to carry my own luggage upstairs - no elevator. They also recommendederd and booked us into a flamenco concert just a few minutes away - and that worked out very well.

Overall I liked the hotel for its convenience to everything Cordoba, but I think more could have been done to alert me to the driving/parking issues. Other hotels in similar areas of other Andalucian rowns/cities were far more helpful and proactive at letting me know what to expect and what to do.

So, I would recommend for sure of you are not driving and you are looking for an authentic, local hotel offering good quality at a reasonable price. If you have a car make sure you know what to do and how to get it done - and you can make arrival so much better.

Room Tip: There is a good deal of noise from street washing crews during the very early morning hours so a hig...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter J
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

In the day time just perfectly located next to all attractions, in evenings the area seemed totally dead.. so it is up to what u are there for.
Very clean and nice room and toilet. Single beds are a bit small.
I would go for rooms over looking outside not the breakfast internal area.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank EminentG
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed here in January 2014 having booked it the day before more or less blind. I really fell on my feet, this hotel has a fabulous position and loads of character. My room was very small but was perfectly adequate for a solo traveller. It was clean and there was plenty of hot water and extra blankets for the winter. The receptionist spoke good English and they were really happy to look after my bag for the day whilst I explored the city.
It isn't a luxury hotel but doesn't charge luxury hotel prices. It was ideal for what I wanted and I'd definitely go back.

Room Tip: If there are two of you I'd ask to see the room as some of them are very small. Also some don...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank travellercarol_13
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I was very shocked at the behaviour upon my arrival to this hotel, especially because it was a Rick Steves recommendation in his guide. I had booked on Expedia a double room a few days before I left on my holiday. The room I received was maybe 10 x 10. I am a previous real estate person and know the sizes of rooms. At 9 pm, I had trudged up multiple flights of stairs with no bellperson, in the dark on occasion as the lights are on energy movement timers, and I didn't know where the switches were yet. Luckily, I had a flashlight on me which came in handy to get the key in. So, I went back to the desk to state that I had booked a much larger double room. The desk clerk argued that it had a double bed in it, but I said that Expedia showed a pic of a much larger room and said 21 ft. We kept arguing so I asked for the Wifi code so I could show him on Expedia. This is the shocker - while I was looking it up on Expedia, he went on the computer and deleted the description from Expedia so that it briefly flashed on my phone showing the correct description then change to reading only "double room." I checked the other descriptions and they were all still fully intact, full paragraphs with room sizes. I was stunned and said that I would phone Expedia. Finally, after further debate, he assigned me a superior one facing the Mezquita and told me that it was worth much more than I paid. He also said I may have to move the next night of my two night stay. He made the whole thing seem like my fault. I think what happened was that they overbooked or he was just trying to fill his single room. He should have just politely offered me a complimentary upgrade or a price reduction for which was a single room that they stuffed a double bed into. As a solo traveller, I then felt unsafe on my first night for the only time on my entire trip. I went to two other hotels that evening and Hotel M. seemed very friendly and were going to accommodate me if the situation worsened. It didn't. Another funny note was that the room description was back up that night when I looked at my phone and read 21 sq ft room [they don't even understand how to write room measurements as that room would be just larger than a 4' x 4' room]. .

This is the unfortunate part for the hotel. The second room I received was very nice, a large size with a nice view of the Mezquita. The superior double is 16 ft wide. The rest of the staff were very informative and helpful.

The buffet did not look good so I had a coffee and pastry, the famous Pastis Cordoba, at the bakery off another hotel on the side of the Mezquita facing the river. Great coffee and nice pastries so save your money and don't get the buffet. Items were turning brown.

So, buyer beware, one way or other, you get what you pay for. There was another couple who were walked to a previous hotel after overbooking in a previous review. I think this is why they don't have you pay through Expedia.

Floor plan attached. The first room they gave me was facing an inner open area that looked like a large chute [labelled patio/yard on Evacuation Map]. You can see it was a single room. The good room they gave me after was the bottom right.

I won't be coming back to this hotel. This is the only really poor rating I have ever given.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Rhiannon5
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Córdoba, Spain is a fascinating and charming city to visit if you love history and the old world scene. This hotel is NOT a grand hotel but it is in a very convenient and strategic location in the historic district just across the street from the grand Mezquita de Córdoba and other areas of interest which is a real plus. The rooms are not large but are adequate, clean and have A/C ( a must if you visit in the summer). The price depends on the time of the year you choose to go. We paid 50 euros a night without breakfast. We decided to add breakfast which was served buffet style in a lovely inner courtyard and the price was 8 euros. However is was quite disappointing. We like to count on a reasonably varied buffet breakfast before taking off to all day tours. If that is also your case you will not be pleased with breakfast in the hotel. Also, when visiting Andalucia and choose to drive a car, bear in mind that getting to some of these hotels located in historic districts can be a challenge since the streets are very narrow. Most of them do not have parking and you need to park in a public parking and get to the hotel walking or by taxi. That was the case with this hotel. In general the staff is not all that friendly or outgoing and there was no bell boys to help with luggage and such. ( The absence of staff to help with luggage was was pretty much observed in other hotels we stayed) However, we also had a serious inconvenience (with fortunately, no consequences) and the hotel manager made up by waiving the breakfast and gave us a day room so we could do a late checkout. As mentioned by another reviewer the hotel's ground floor is nicely decorated and inviting to relax in some corner to read a book. However in the summer it's probably not the best choice since there is no A/C there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Mezquita.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple