“Only the gardens made this above a 2* review!”

Alcazar de los Reyes Cristianos
Book In Advance
US$53.97*
Monumental Cordoba: Guided 3-Hour Walking Tour
US$106.85*
and up
Cordoba Day Trip from Seville Including Skip-the-Line Ticket to Cordoba Mosque...
US$47.97*
Cordoba Monuments Tour
Ranked #7 of 142 things to do in Cordoba
More attraction details
Owner description: The palace-fortress of the Christian Kings has tranquil gardens and fountains.
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This proved a slightly puzzling tourist experience. I paid my entrance fee and walked in, but it was very unclear where in the building you should /shouldn't walk and if there was a suggested route. Other visitors seemed equally bewildered. As a result, I suspect I missed some of the more interesting features of the Alcazar as I didn't go through certain doorways / up the stairs as I half-expected someone to tell me I wasn't allowed! I certainly didn't learn anything about the significance or history of the building.

The gardens were magnificent though. Perhaps I was lucky as it was a particularly fine sunny day, but as I stepped out and saw the gardens stretching into the distance, with a sea of marigolds and sparkling fountains and the bright blue sky, it was, for a brief moment, like something in a dream! The topiary and roses were lovely too. I hadn't known there was a garden here, so this was quite a bonus. As I was staying in Madrid city centre, it was great to get out in the fresh air and sunshine. I saw a small lizard running into the flower bed.

Overall though, rather a strange visitor experience...One wonders why they don't provide some basic information and make more of the place.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,793)

Reviewed 18 October 2013

The exterior of this Alcazar is romantic - palms against ancient yellowed stones, crenelated walls. I was prepared to love it, and was delighted to find that as a senior (even from outside the EU) my admission was free. I enjoyed the Roman mosaics, and some aspects of the gardens. The garden immediately surrounding the castle was very bare in places and although I took photographs, they really seemed to highlight the bareness of the courtyards. The larger gardens proved to be more interesting but it was the little nooks and crannies that really appealed, particularly the plants against the old stones.

Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

After the alcazar in seville, this place does not offer much for a rather expensive entrance fee. You will see no explanations than spanish in rooms vaults etc. It is managed as if the only thing they want to show is the gardens. Waste of time and money.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

well, despite the non welcoming guys at the ticket office, you enter a location that could be very interesting. BUT, the maintenance has not been made for the last decade at least, the gardens are ... hmm... not interesting at all.
Most of the rooms have no explanations and are kept in the dark.
It seems that about 20% of the rooms are "privado' and the view on the main tower is simply OK.
We have lost our time and money. So many interesting things to visit in Cordoba, why ending up there???

Reviewed 15 October 2013

The Alcazar has several Roman mosaics that are very good, such as the ones of Oceano, the Grand Geometric Mosaic, Polifemo and Galatea, and Medusa. However I think that the gardens are the best part of the Alcazar. There is beauty in the symmetry of the garden with the reflecting pools and fountains spouting water into them. The flowers in the gardens are very beautiful and are manicured. The parterres are also beautiful. The only imperfect things are the statues, that need to be cleaned.