“Great gardens”

and up
Alcázar Reyes Cristianos: Official Tour
Ranked #20 of 144 things to do in Cordoba
More attraction details
Owner description: The palace-fortress of the Christian Kings has tranquil gardens and fountains.
Reviewed 30 October 2013

The building is forgetable as it is very plain and nothing to other Alcazers which I have seen, however the room with the roman mosaics is well worth finding.

The highlight is the gardens with the variety of pools and planting. Even in October this was a delight but in the spring when the blossom is on the fruit trees and the flowers are just blooming it must be wonderful.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,285)
All reviews
in 182 reviews
"palace"
in 161 reviews

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Went on a fiesta day, so got in free as a pensioner. Go up to the tower and get the view of the whole castle. Wonder the garden and the pools. Don't miss the colourful fish.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We found the castle and its garden both beautiful and interesting from a historic point of view.
It was here Isabella and her husband Ferdinand (the two royal persons) set up the Spanish Inquisition.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

This proved a slightly puzzling tourist experience. I paid my entrance fee and walked in, but it was very unclear where in the building you should /shouldn't walk and if there was a suggested route. Other visitors seemed equally bewildered. As a result, I suspect I missed some of the more interesting features of the Alcazar as I didn't go through certain doorways / up the stairs as I half-expected someone to tell me I wasn't allowed! I certainly didn't learn anything about the significance or history of the building.

The gardens were magnificent though. Perhaps I was lucky as it was a particularly fine sunny day, but as I stepped out and saw the gardens stretching into the distance, with a sea of marigolds and sparkling fountains and the bright blue sky, it was, for a brief moment, like something in a dream! The topiary and roses were lovely too. I hadn't known there was a garden here, so this was quite a bonus. As I was staying in Madrid city centre, it was great to get out in the fresh air and sunshine. I saw a small lizard running into the flower bed.

Overall though, rather a strange visitor experience...One wonders why they don't provide some basic information and make more of the place.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The exterior of this Alcazar is romantic - palms against ancient yellowed stones, crenelated walls. I was prepared to love it, and was delighted to find that as a senior (even from outside the EU) my admission was free. I enjoyed the Roman mosaics, and some aspects of the gardens. The garden immediately surrounding the castle was very bare in places and although I took photographs, they really seemed to highlight the bareness of the courtyards. The larger gardens proved to be more interesting but it was the little nooks and crannies that really appealed, particularly the plants against the old stones.