Maestre
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
All reviewsone starbudget optionold townparking spotrooms are cleanbreakfast is servedeasy walking distancesmall streetunderground parkingbars and restaurantsa great place to stayfew minutes walksingle roomthe ground floorfirst floorexcellent locationon foot
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 June 2013

The location was optimal and the hostal was very clean and pleasant. The room was small, but quite adequate. The price was excellent..We had to climb a flight of steps with our luggage, which might pose a problem to some guests.
The hotel seems more luxurious, but I imagine it was more expensive.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Lets get it clear from the start. This review is for HOSTAL Maestre. There are two accommodation establishments named 'Maestre' on the short Calle Romero Barros. There is the Hotel Maestre (Spanish ***) at Nos. 4-6 and Hostal Maestre a few doors away at No. 16 (Spanish *). We stayed at the latter. Both establishments appear to be run under the same management.

If you are using one of the online booking services from the TripAdvisor website, carefully check the address you are booking. See preceding addresses. Generally online posted rates at Hostal Maestre are significantly lower than those for Hotel Maestre. From TripAdvisor reviews, some visitors have ended up at one establishment when they thought they had booked the other one. We did too!

Getting there. A review from 2012 mentions taking the No. 5 city bus (a bright green one) from the bus or railway station. The correct (2013) city bus to take is No. 3. Because of the one way streets in central Cordoba, The No. 3 bus takes a completely different route between the bus and railway stations and the hotel / hostal on the outward trip than it does on the return trip. The stop for the No. 3 city bus is on the southwest corner of the intersection of Avenida Via Austusta which runs east-west between the bus and railway stations which are across the road from each other and Calle Arqueologa Garcia Bell which runs north-south immediately west of the two stations. The bus stop is right beside the entrance to the Roman ruin excavations adjacent to Car Park No. 1 (big blue P sign) on Calle Arqueologa Garcia Bell. Now go and look for the blue bus stop sign on Google maps! Buses run about every 10 to 15 minutes in the middle of the day, less frequently on evenings and Sundays. Once on the bus, get off at Calle Romero Barros just before the large metal cross in the middle of street at the end of Calle San Fernando (see photograph of cross). This is soon after you pass the large columns of the ruined Roman temple on your right.

Getting back to the bus or railway station after your visit! Easy. Walk to the end of Calle San Fernando. Turn left and find the bus stop for the No. 3 route about 50m along Paseo de la Ribera.

Now for the review of HOSTAL Maestre! Our introduction to Hostal Maestre was somewhat less than stellar. First of all we had to search out the receptionist. When we found her, she spent the whole time she was filling in our registration form talking to a young boy with her... and ignoring my wife and me except when she asked us registration type questions. Sometimes she had to repeat the question as either she had made a mistake or had forgotten what we had told her, eg. she wanted to see our passports again as she had forgotten to type our passport number into her computer. She was clearly not focused on what she was doing and made quite a few mistakes which she then corrected.

Our room was adequately spacious but all furnishings, the beds and bed linen looked 'tired' and overdue for replacement. However, the bathroom was VERY small and cramped. The room overlooked a courtyard (patio) on one side and the street on the other. At night it was quiet. However, we were woken up shortly after 6am by someone banging on doors (wakeup calls) and much shouting and running around. Turned out it was a group of teenagers on a group (school?) tour to Cordoba. We mentioned this that morning to the receptionist at Hotel Maestre who was sympathetic to our complaint and tried, unsuccessfully, to contact a management person. However, there was little improvement the following morning. The knocking and shouting were just a bit quieter. We then moved on with our travels as planned so we do not know how long the group of teenagers remained at the hostal.

We gathered that we were not the only guests to complain about their behaviour.

On a positive note, the hot and cold included buffet breakfast was comprehensive and wholesome. It caters for pretty well all international tastes and eating preferences. The lady managing the buffet takes great pride in her work and is very accommodating to special requests. She has obviously catered to all types of people and nationalities. Also the rooms and public areas were all clean. The two patios were a joy to behold and can be seen from the street outside through they typical Cordobean metal grilled doors.

Hostal and Hotel Maestre are centrally located and only about a five minute walk to the Mezquita and the centre of the old city. They are on the edge of the tourist zone, the boundary of which more or less runs down Calle San Fernando. East of this street you are back in modern Cordoba with a modern indoor air conditioned shopping centre and park less than a 1km stroll east along the riverbank. Immediately behind Hostal and Hotel Maestre is traffic-free Plaza del Potro (see night photograph) with numerous restaurants and the Museo Julio Romero De Torres, the Museo De Bellas Artes and the Posada del Porto, a typical Cordobean courtyard house or inn where Cervantes once stayed, to explore. We attended a free evening performance of first class flamenco music and singing at the Posada del Potro (see photograph). The Posada del Potro, now restored and owned by The City, is well worth a short visit if you are visiting the other adjacent attractions. See http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g187430-d2284108-Reviews-Posada_del_Potro-Cordoba_Province_of_Cordoba_Andalucia.html for reviews.

Altogether, we were disappointed with our stay at Hostal Maestre given the numerous favourable TripAdvisor reviews... which now turn out to pretty well all have been for Hotel Maestre which, superficially appears to be very nice. Will we stay at Hostal Maestre again? No. We'll probably try the Hotel Maestre next time, primarily because of its convenient location near the old town, apparent better quality and because of the relative ease of getting between railway or bus station and the hotel. We’ll certainly be more careful when making online bookings in future that the establishment we are booking through an online link is actually the same one as reviewed on TripAdvisor!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JenMarkCo
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Stayed here only one night in late Feb 2013. I made my reservation directly to the hotel by phone. All prior comments are accurate. This place has a great location in the old town area, halls, lobbies and public areas were clean and well appointed. My room (206) was spotless, comfortable bed, good shower with sufficient towels and hot water. Breakfast, served next door in the hostel was very good.

After eating breakfast, as I was checking out, I told the desk clerk the coffee at the breakfast bar was very good, and asked if I could purchase an extra cup for my "travel mug". Phone calls were made and after only about 30 seconds I was told the extra cup of coffee (for my travel mug) would be available at no cost.

I returned to the breakfast bar and met the woman who sits in the area and records room numbers of incoming diners. Holding my empty tavel mug, in my best spanish I explained I was not eating breakfast, just getting an extra cup of coffee. She responded (in english) that she was aware of that, told me to fill my travel mug and handed me a 500 gram vacum sealed package of coffee. She said that she heard that I like their coffee and she wanted me to take this as a gift so I could make it at home. I was floored. This types of occurrence is what makes traveling fun. I will go back in May and bring the woman some coffee from the US

Room Tip: The parking garage under the hotel is small and gets packed with cars. The hotel room cost about 25 euros, while the parking space cost 10 euros. When I return I will park my car on the street about two blocks away (near the river) and forgo the parking garage hassle and expense
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank goodinfo
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Spacious elegant and outstanding value. Friendly and efficient staff. Breakfast in adjacent hostel (same name) worthwhile at 5 euros. Central location; make sure you try the juice bar opposite .Worth mugging up some basic spanish as surprisingly little english spoken in Cordoba's bars and restaurants

Room Tip: Rrooms 103 and 106 are away from road and quiet
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I stayed here in July during my visit to Cordoba & was very happy with the hotel for the price.
It is a short walk to all of the sites of Cordoba, an excellent base to see the city from. My room was clean & had everything I needed.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo