“Good Outweighs the Not-So-Good”
Review of Hotel Plateros

Hotel Plateros
Ranked #51 of 65 Hotels in Cordoba
Reviewed 8 September 2010

First off this hotel is adorable! It is just as it looks in the photos, and the location can't be beat. But there are a few drawbacks, so I'll break it down as follows:

PROs: Unbelievably cute small hotel, and at a really good price. When I booked my room I made sure the owner knew I was a single person (I think I said it three times in my e-mail) but I wanted a balcony for sure, so if that meant I had to pay for a double room I would gladly. So he booked a double room for me with balcony, for the price of 44.94 euros per night rather than the 32.10 euros for a single. However when I arrived, he insisted I look at a single room, telling me he didn't realize I was only one person, since he had a single room with a balcony over a little side street. Excellent, I told him I would take it and said that my price would be the single rate, correct? Nope, I was still on the hook for 44.94 double rate he told me, but they would now include breakfast for the three mornings I would be there. Well, I don't usually pay over 12 euros for breakfast...but I was tired...didn't feel like haggling, and to be honest, 44.94 euros did seem like an okay price. The interaction did leave me feeling a bit unsettled though, but I was the one who agreed to it so...so be it! (This turns into a big CON later though as the breakfast was them completely ignoring me in their empty eating area every morning, eventually they would bring me one cup of coffee and a big hunk of bread with some jam. Then when I finished that I would have to hunt them down for a second cup of coffee, and I was very brave on days 2 and 3 to ask for a glass of orange juice, which given to me, but nothing close to service with a smile.)

But back to the PROs: I liked my little single room a lot. It had its own bathroom, was *just* big enough and I had my own set of French doors (no bars across) and small balcony that overlooked a side street that was barely wide enough for cars to pass. (I stayed in room 4.) Not much traffic, not too noisy. Good people watching. In addition, the hotel has a completely picturesque patio where you can get tapas and a drink on a nice day. (Although another CON wedged in here is that the one day I sat out there and ordered tapas, it took almost an hour just to get my small plate of patatas bravas. But hey, I'm in Spain and in no hurry fortunately...but be warned that service just seemed painfully and exceptionally slow for any kind of food.)

More PROs: They have a cute small resident dog, and if you're there on a Saturday night it seems like all of Cordoba is stopping by for a drink and socializing. I loved it! It was about a 5-minute walk to the Mezquita, and I felt totally safe out at all hours walking those streets. People in Cordoba were friendly and it was fun. And did I mention how picturesque the hotel is?

CONs: Management was laissez-faire and as others have noted elsewhere, seemed more interested in the locals in their little pub/restaurant than in their hotel customers. I definitely got the impression they wanted to have as little interaction with the hotel guests as possible. But it's okay, just give me the key to my room and that's usually all I need, so it wasn't a problem for me! (Well, except in the morning when I had to track them down for the extra coffee. One needs to pick one's battles and getting enough coffee in the morning is definitely mine!)

Also the door handle on my cute French doors was broken but it still locked and if I jiggled it I could work it okay. And this one killed me: The hairdryer they advertise is really a wall hand dryer that has a picture of a hairdryer on it. And it's mounted over the sink! I laugh every time I think of the contortions I had to perform to get my head under that thing, it really had no hose or nozzle or anything, just hot air shooting down onto the sink, and as I am somebody who requires a hair dryer after my shower, this provided much entertainment value every morning. I've been all over the US and to Europe 18 times now and have never seen anything like it. Too funny!

Bottom line: Despite the cons would definitely return to Cordoba and Hotel Plateros, but would plan to not eat breakfast at the hotel, and to bring my own hairdryer!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank LunaBella25

Reviewed 10 May 2010

We already live in Andalucia running our own B&B but try and travel around the region whenever we get the opportunity. Over the last couple of months we have had 4 or 5 trips away but the best by far has been in Cordoba. The Hotel Plateros is outstanding value for money. The staff are welcoming and knowledgeable. The hotel is just a short walk from the Mezquita. We arrived on Sunday lunchtime and the restaurant was full with a number of large parties. Unfortunately the restaurant isn't open on Sunday nights - nor the bar - which was a bit disappointing although we did have a nice evening strolling through the old town visiting a number of tapas bars. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Plateros for one night. We are a family of four, with a 15 year-old daughter and 12-year-old son. The hotel agreed to our request to squeeze the four of us into one room, with two cots, in order to keep our expenses down. The hotel is a nice old building on a pretty, quiet, little plaza. We enjoyed having tapas out front in the dusk and later we enjoyed watching soccer with the locals in the bar. The location of the hotel is great -- enough off the beaten path to escape the hustle and bustle, but close enough to get to everything easily. It's just a five minute walk to the Plaza Tendillas, less than a 10 minute walk to the Mesquita, and only just over 20 minutes to the train and bus stations (we walked both coming and going). The lodging included a continental breakfast, which is worth E8-E10 for a family of four. The hotel is clean and well maintained (our room had a recently resotred bathroom). The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel has free WIFI, though it did not reach our room. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Stodel
Reviewed 30 January 2010

This is a pleasant hotel in a good location in the historic centre of Cordoba. Warning: Cordoba is very very quiet on a Sunday night in winter! However, it is worth visiting just for the wonderful Mezquita. We had a friendly reception and our room was comfortable and big enough. We were a bit disappointed that the in-house restaurant was closed that night – just the bar was open for the football, and the very nice young barman was very apologetic. Breakfast was very basic (a toasted roll with jam, and coffee) but adequate, and the room rates are low. No problems at all - recommended.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Penny71
Reviewed 6 December 2009

Can't add much to what others have said. We booked because of good reviews here. Our room was at the back, near the kitchen and I feared noise, but with two hallway doors carefully closed by staff, it was fine. Only the decorative but very substantial window bars which did not appear to open worried me a bit being so close to the kitchen. I should have asked if there was a secret way to open them. A front room would have been nicer, but also noisier. I would definitely return here and hope I do!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2009

Family run tavern/hotel : food and drink there.Walk to cultural sites.
Difficult location to find even with GPS.The owners looked after the the local/tavern customers before the comfort of the hotel guests.The noise from a party in the tavern kept us and our daughters awake well into the early hours of the morning.You need a good night's sleep when travelling around Spain, which we did not achieve at this hotel.
Our room was basic down stairs near kitchen-airconditioner too noisy and not working when arrived.Daughter's room upstairs, where they could hear the loud noise from the tavern plus their airconditioner did not work.Some staff members were dismissive in their attitude to our concerns.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Stayed at Hotel Plateros for just one night, but found it to be very well located and an ideal value option in Cordoba. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful - we drank the owner/manager's wine (very good), had good tapas and raciones, and were given helpful tips on where and when to visit the city's attractions. Great atmosphere by evening - Cordoba can be quiet by evening during the summer, but this was a great place to relax and have a drink/meal after a day exploring the city. Rooms are fairly basic, but we felt the whole experience offered great value and would expect this to be at least a 2 star hotel in the future.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple