“Central but uncomfortable”

Ranked #11 of 39 Cordoba B&B and Inns
Lisbon, Portugal
“Central but uncomfortable”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Centrally located you won't find better at this rate but it may not make up for the not so clean sheets and towels or the nice but abusive owner... If you choose this hostal ask to see the room first as the cheapest one is really small with just a tiny window...choose the bigger one for a litlle more money and bring your sleeping bag just in case you don't feel confortable sleeping in used /not washed sheets! ;)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 October 2013

To start with the positives, the location of Hostal Alcazar was really good. In addition to the bus stop and taxi hangout across the street, you have a very easy walk to the Mezquita and other historic areas. Plus, the premier churros con chocolate stand where you will see tons of people lined up in the morning is within 100 feet. As others have said, the host is friendly, relaxed and available. With our booking, we were given a choice to stay in the main building and have breakfast included or go across the street to the "apartments" and be on our own. We choose the breakfast and were put into room 2 (first floor). While I wasn't expecting much and I don't mind older furniture and some worn out facilities, room 2 is in need of help. There is no AC, only a small window fan (thankfully it was just mild outside). The "shower" was a wand-type you must hold in your hand or sit down in the tub. The wall mount for it was broken. The sink had a large chip in it and when turning on the cold water faucet, the whole faucet rotated. But the worst was the pillow on the bed. It was a single long pillow that was stiff and very tall. Both my wife and I gave it a try but got sore quickly. She tried to manage with a travel pillow around her neck while I tried for a sweatshirt rolled up and then nothing. In the end, it was the worst night of sleep we got during our whole trip. The breakfast was basic but nice (almost an American-sized coffee). I think we ended up paying an extra euro or two for it, maybe. In the end, we were just ready to move on. We paid the same for this place as we did all the other places we stayed (Barcelona, Granada, Ronda, Seville and Madrid). This was a poor value and not even close to anything else we experienced. We still had a lovely and memorable time in Cordoba, mainly because of our dinner experience at Casa Bravo and the Mezquita being ridiculously cool. Because of so many positive reviews, my best advice is to just check out the room a bit closer during check-in. But we would definitely look for a different place next time.
Also, the morning of checkout, I was getting churros and my wife was handling the payment. She did get patted on her backside on the way out the door.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Arick B

Travellers are raving about these Cordoba hotels

Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

I found this Hostal in the Rick Steves' Spain book and could not have been happier with his recommendation! A friend and I stayed there for 4 days last week. The location is terrific, very near the sights and just across the street from the bus stop. The owners are very pleasant and accommodating people. Fernando is a real jokester and loved trying to make us laugh, even with the little Spanish we knew. You could get breakfast and snacks from them at a very nominal price. Staying at family run places like these are what make a trip to Europe memorable. What a previous reviewer said about the H Alcazar was 180 degrees from what we experienced. I'm wondering if we both stayed at the same place?

• Stayed June 2013
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights with small kids. The owner Fernando was very kind and helpful, made a lot of jokes with us. Rooms are basic but clean, and if you are not the kind of traveller who needs wellness services and luxury this hostal is perfect to explore Cordoba. The Mesquita is 200 meters away, the Alcazar is just across the street. Food store is also 2 minutes away. The hostal has a parking place reserved across the sreet. Don't try to drive to the exact address, the hostal is in a walking street.

• Stayed June 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This was a last resort for us and the only place we didn't look into properly before our tour of south Spain - and it was our only bad accommodation experience of the two week holiday.

The room was small, dark and scruffy. The towels we were handed were dirty and stained. The male owner started winking at me when my boyfriend was busy with the bags on arrival. I ignored it at first thinking it was nothing but later, when he insisted I go with him alone to look at the bathroom (my other half had already seen it), it started becoming clear that he wanted me to linger there with him.

On departure the following day, the situation unfortunately got worse. At breakfast, he stood behind my boyfriend and pretended, as a 'joke', to hit him over the head. His behaviour was childish and unprofessional. Then, when we left the hostel and walked the short distance to the garage gates, he contrived things cleverly, insisting I wait with him alone with our bags while my partner went down into the underground garage to retrieve our car. He was quite adamant, saying only one person could collect the car.

Of course, in hindsight, it seems very obvious to me now that he was lying – the one person in the garage ploy was utter rubbish – but, at the time, we just thought we had to do as he said. Sensing he was running out of time, he used the opportunity he'd created to give me a pretend "hug", then quickly moved to stroke my hair and grope my bottom. The whole experience left me feeling very angry. We were friendly towards him at first and he seriously abused our trust.

If you are a lone female or even travelling with a friend/partner, I advise you to look elsewhere. If you do stay here, don't let the owner contrive a situation so he is alone with you. He is very insistent but say no. I would hate anyone else to go through what I did.

To her credit, the owner's wife seemed much nicer so my suggestion would be that she takes over the customer-facing role. Her husband should stay in the background away from the female guests.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nat-xplorer
Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed 14 May 2013 via mobile

it is a nice hotel very near to the main old center 3 blocks in a very quiet neighborhood.
The owner is a very nice family and theowner makes eexcellent jokes. It is very simple and clean. It is a good option for a short stay in Cordoba.
,...........

• Stayed May 2013
London UK
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We found this hostal in the Rough Guide. Having spent the prvious night at a Parador this was at the opposite and of the price spectrum. €50 for a double, breakfast not included, but free parking for the bike in an underground garage. Very well-located and although basic met our needs for the night and there are plent of cafes close by to get breakfast. Not sure what the going rate for budget accom is in Cordoba but this was OK. the proprietor, who was very friendly recommended a restaurant up the street as being more authoentic than the more touristy places. We were not impressed by the food or service we received up the street, however.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple