“Good location but...”

Ranked #11 of 40 Cordoba B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Good location but...”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

When we arrived, there was nobody at the reception. Later we found the patriarch in a towel in a back room and the son in the street between the 2 parts of the property. Seems he is there because it's the only place where the wifi signal could be found. Needless to say we didn't get internet that night. As weary travelers we didn't fancy squatting in the streets like him. The patriach winked at me and called me "guapa" meaning good looking. I should be happy with the complement except it gave me chills. Read earlier reviews about this aspect of the property.....

The Hostal's location is great; near the Mezquita and other sites and restaurants. The room we had was quite big with private bath, air-con, tv, table and chairs, and a sofa.

The sofa is probably a sofa-bed to turn the room into a triple. But it was not clean. We didn't touch it. The rest of the room wasn't exactly dirty but could probably use more maintenance. The towels looked clean but there were no toiletries. We didn't dare use the blankets in the wardrobe. Luckily we brought our own. It is family run with the women folk doing the cleaning in the morning but also looking after the kids. Toys were strewn at the reception. Everything is messy there, including a backroom with the electronics, with wires running all over the place. That part of the property was dark and dingy but the part on the other side of the street was bright, airy and has lots of beautiful flowers. We had cheaper and nicer hostals on our trip. Would not return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emily W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Roeselare, Belgium
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I'm not going that much at hostals, but I can really recommend people to go to this hostal also if they don't like that much hostels. Very hygienic, and every room has his shower! very nice owner. they also offer a 8 euro parking just by the hotel! If you are out of money, but want to stay in Cordoba! I recommend you this hostal!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lisboa
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Stayed there 1 night.

The location is very good, located near the Alcazar, and at a walking distance to the main attractions.

Booked a double room with shared bathroom, but got an attic room, with a private bathroom, a double bed and a small hall with a table and a TV. We were happy with the trade.

The hostal comprises at least two buildings, and is runned by a very nice couple, who makes you feel like home. The decoration in the common areas is homy, with several family photos, many plants and many souvenir plates (from all over the world) decoration the walls.

The hostal is very clean.

Wi-fi worked fine in the room.

Payed 24€ for a double room.

Would certainly recommend a stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Faro, Portugal
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Great value for money. Near the old town and all it´s main attractions. The staff is very friendly and give advices about the best places to go visit, eat and have a good time. Has a parking garage near.
Enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed there with a friend for one night in January 2013. We found the place on the internet and I need to state in the beginning that we were only searching for a cheap room for one night. While we were asking for the hostal address to a woman on the street, she shouted "hey Fernando! these girls are looking for you! Fernando is my neighbour girls." she said smiling, and so Fernando greeted us nicely and took us to the hostal. Beware that you can bargain for the price of the rooms before renting (we did).
Our room was just upstairs from the entrance floor. It had a tiny pink bathroom but there were clean glasses and other necessary stuff like soaps etc. The sheets were clean, I saw that he took them from the laundry, which was next to our room.
To begin with, the location is fascinating! I did not imagine that it could be so close to the touristic center because of the price. We just walked 2 minutes for the Alcázar de los Reyes Cristianos! (Also, I advice you to see the light show there, one of the must sees in Cordoba)
The hostal also has a kitchen downstairs with an owen and a microwave, where you can cook your own food and bring to your room. It was a small and an open one, but would work for basic needs. There was a small table with two chairs in our room, so we could eat there. My advice, do not expect a lot neither from the kitchen, nor the bathroom. They reply to basic needs. In the end, you will not stay there forever, no?
As far as I could see, there was a small garden near the kitchen where you can sit and drink something.
Fernando adviced us to go to the mosque early in the morning when it is free to enter, so he has been very helpful. We took a photo in front of the hostal and he stepped in one. Then said "taking a photo with Fernando is 5 euros" :) He was a funny person.
I wouldn't take my serious guests there, but it is a very nice place to go with friends or family, and lots of fun in the end!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Centrally located you won't find better at this rate but it may not make up for the not so clean sheets and towels or the nice but abusive owner... If you choose this hostal ask to see the room first as the cheapest one is really small with just a tiny window...choose the bigger one for a litlle more money and bring your sleeping bag just in case you don't feel confortable sleeping in used /not washed sheets! ;)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 October 2013

To start with the positives, the location of Hostal Alcazar was really good. In addition to the bus stop and taxi hangout across the street, you have a very easy walk to the Mezquita and other historic areas. Plus, the premier churros con chocolate stand where you will see tons of people lined up in the morning is within 100 feet. As others have said, the host is friendly, relaxed and available. With our booking, we were given a choice to stay in the main building and have breakfast included or go across the street to the "apartments" and be on our own. We choose the breakfast and were put into room 2 (first floor). While I wasn't expecting much and I don't mind older furniture and some worn out facilities, room 2 is in need of help. There is no AC, only a small window fan (thankfully it was just mild outside). The "shower" was a wand-type you must hold in your hand or sit down in the tub. The wall mount for it was broken. The sink had a large chip in it and when turning on the cold water faucet, the whole faucet rotated. But the worst was the pillow on the bed. It was a single long pillow that was stiff and very tall. Both my wife and I gave it a try but got sore quickly. She tried to manage with a travel pillow around her neck while I tried for a sweatshirt rolled up and then nothing. In the end, it was the worst night of sleep we got during our whole trip. The breakfast was basic but nice (almost an American-sized coffee). I think we ended up paying an extra euro or two for it, maybe. In the end, we were just ready to move on. We paid the same for this place as we did all the other places we stayed (Barcelona, Granada, Ronda, Seville and Madrid). This was a poor value and not even close to anything else we experienced. We still had a lovely and memorable time in Cordoba, mainly because of our dinner experience at Casa Bravo and the Mezquita being ridiculously cool. Because of so many positive reviews, my best advice is to just check out the room a bit closer during check-in. But we would definitely look for a different place next time.
Also, the morning of checkout, I was getting churros and my wife was handling the payment. She did get patted on her backside on the way out the door.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Arick B

Travellers are raving about these Cordoba hotels