“Disapoint”

Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Cadiz
Sevilla
“Disapoint”
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Very very very old, location was good, but hotel needs a big review, maybe to build new bath, change the room completely, and all instalations like electricity, plumber, air conditioning, tv, etc, etc,

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Viva Stay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Maldon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I booked last minute and this was pretty much all that was left in my price range. Do not expect too much from this dated hotel in the centre of Cadiz Old Town. Rooms are very large with loads of wardrobe space. The en-suite bathroom was rather sad looking and did smell a bit of drains but so does most of Cadiz. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. If you want luxury then this is not for you. Personally, I can put up with a bit of shabby knowing I am just a stroll away from the buzzing squares (Plaza San Fransisco, you're in it! Plaza Mina, just around the corner), numerous authentic tapas bars, delightful churches (visit the one next door to see the art work inside), streets full of fantastic shops (Zara, Mango and LaCoste). I will try and book the Hotel San Fransisco (just down the road) next time but seriously, this hotel is not as bad as some reviews make out. I have stayed in worst in Cadiz and Spain.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back if you need quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Stockholm
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We decided rather late it might be a good idea to spend a couple of nights in Cádiz, so after having phoned all the top-rated hotels/hostals we were happy to get a room at this place although we did not know what to expect. However, we were pleasantly surprised. OK, the place has seen better days and could do with a facelift. The square where the hotel is situated is very lively with a good café/restaurant opposite. We got a big room facing the back, so it was very quiet except for when the bells rang in the adjacent church (every fifteen minutes, but they were quiet at night and in the morning). The room was fairly well cleaned, bathroom big and with a window. It's a pretty basic hotel, but good value for money and very attentive staff. I had forgotten my sweater in the taxi from the station and when I mentioned this to the guy in the reception he immediately called the taxi central and half an hour later they had tracked down my rather expensive designer sweater and delivered it by taxi (I just paid the driver 5 euro for the extra trip, which I was more than happy to do). Perhaps that's not relevant for the hotel, but it shows that the staff is friendly and that Cádiz as a city is very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back if you want it to be quiet. Otherwise the view over the square is nic...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 June 2011

This hotel was listed in the Michelen guide which had given us good recommendations for the previous two cities we stayed in, so I just trusted it. Like others have mentioned, it smelled bad (like a gas leak in most of the hotel and like sewage in the bathroom), we saw two cockroaches (in the lobby and one in our room), the carpet in the room was filthy (stained and dusty), and the phone didn't work. The people working there were nice, they did provide a cot for our 7-month old baby, and the location is definitely great, but unless all the hotels in Cadiz are this bad, it's just not worth it!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank erofal

Travellers are raving about these Cadiz hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I have just enjoyed a weekend stay at this hotel. I notice that previous reviews to this one were some time ago and this may have prompted the management into action. I can say with honesty that my stay here was fine and was made even better by both the location and the cost..They seem to have addressed what were in reality were not majorly traumatic details..

Fracia y Paris is typical of the faded glory of the old town and should be viewed in this manner. Yes the decor is faded and has seen better days but viewed in the context of this fascinating old city, it becomes something different. We stayed at the front of the building with 2 small terraces overlooking the gorgeous Plaza San Fransico.. a bustling gathering places where locals come to eat drink and relax. It was busy and noisy but the good news is that the hotel have fitted double glazing which really does the business. with the patio doors closed (and air con on!) the noise was really muffled and my fiend and I slept well..even the church bells next door failed to disturb.
The room itself was big and airy. It was clean and I did not recognise any of the comments posted previously about hygeine standards. There was an occasional smell from the toilet bowl, a product no doubt of the old sewage network, a characteristic of many an old spanish city and something which should not be held against the hotel. It was fine with the toilet lid kept down and did not permeate the room or the bathroom!!

In summary, I thought this hotel was excellent value at e50 per night for a double. It benefits from the faded old charm of a city which is steeped in history, & has a vibrant and hospitable feel to it. The previous reviews would have put me off staying here (had I thought to look before booking, which I rarely remember to do!) and I´m glad I avoided them. I can only summise that the moaning minnies that stayed here previously would be better off sticking with the bland, homogenised chains like Ibis or holiday inn. It was a great privilege to be thrust into the heart of the old city and to blend with the people in such an intimate way. Those that prefer the santitised version should perhaps, give it a wide berth. Those with a little romance in their heart should definately not.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Bielefeld
Reviewed 20 October 2009

The Hotel was not good at all. The Rooms are quite big, but the Bathroom is absolutly disgusting. the Rooms and Hallways are really smelly. We wanted to stay 2 nights, but changed the hotel after the first night. The Location is perfect of the hotel, nice bars and restaurants nearby... But from the inside I would not recommend going there. Breakfast is not worth to be called breakfast. Better go out and get a coffee somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
england
Reviewed 3 June 2006

Stayed at start of May. It had a 70s decor, depressing and smelly. Bathroom light did not work plus one light in the room. All for the price of 82 euros a night.

Plaze outside is noisy even on week nights. My partner and I found Cadiz to be incredibly boring and run down, the only saving grace being the sea views. So as there was not much to do we looked for another hotel. We found Hospederia Las Cortes de Cadiz. The rooms were new and beautiful, fridge, laundry sevice, all for 88 euros a night.

Stayed one night at francia, when we went to check out, we found that reception had already charged my partners card- without his permission or warning, meaning they by-passed the pin and signature option- AND charged him for 4 nights instead of the original 3. This has since been rectified.

Don't stay in this hotel. We won't be.

• Stayed May 2006