Casa Palacio Cadiz
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsplaza san antonioexcellent locationgreat apartmentold citytapassalvadormicrowavecalleaccommodationfacilitiesheartreceptionstreetbalconiesspain
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Nice room - great location - right price - friendly staff.
We arrived by car (follow signs for Parking San Antonio) Plaza San Antonio is about a 2 minute walk away. Its around 17 euros a day to park there so after leaving our luggage we found free parking (weekends and holidays) not too far away in Ave Fernandez Ladreda.
 Cadiz has a unique atmosphere and the Gaditanos are friendly and welcoming. We are already planning coming back for Carnival!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sopadecampbell
Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

Cadiz exists of 2 parts. The older part where this appartement is located and the newer part with all the newer buildings that misses the vibe of the old city centre. Cadiz is special because you can combine cultural with beach. There are a lot of Spanish people that have a second home in Cadiz. That is why the old part still has the Spanish feeling. The appartement is on a great location that makes it worth staying. Paul your cat in a parking nearby because parking is not included.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I stayed at Casa Palacio for two nights in October. The apartment itself was fine - large, clean - if nothing special.

On departing, I forgot my Kindle, which I'd left in a bedside drawer. I emailed Casa Palacio, asking if they had found it, and they confirmed that they had; I offered to pay (in advance) for postage & packing if they'd mail it to me, which they agreed to do; I provided my address and asked that they advise me how much I was to pay for P&P. Since then, I've heard nothing. I have emailed Casa Palacio innumerable times, as well as attempting to call, but I can't get a response from them.

Needless to say, the whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. I certainly would not recommend staying at Casa Palacio.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank C_Stevenson00000
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We chose Casa Palacio Cadiz for its location, right in the middle of the historic centre on a pedestrian only street.

We parked our rental car in the underground parking garage at Plaza San Antonio, where the rate for 24 hours was EUR 16,55 at the end of October 2012. Calle Ancha starts at Plaza San Antonio and Casa Palacio is then maybe 50 meters away (less than a two minute walk). We then did not use the car until our departure from Cadiz, we walked everywhere. The cathedral was maybe a five minute walk. Location was indeed perfect.

Casa Palacio must be an old residential building, nicely renovated and converted to an apartment hotel (in 2012) with about ten apartments. There is a new elevator.

The reception is only manned by appointment, we called the given number the day before our arrival, said that we'd arrive between 8pm and 9pm on a Sunday evening. We then arrived at 8:05pm and were friendly greeted by one of the owners. He made the paperwork, gave us the keys, showed us our room and then left. He told us we should not hesitate to call him if we needed anything. As we noticed that there was no hairdryer in our apartment we left him a note and a friendly lady brought us one the next evening.

Our room had no windows facing the street, only the covered patio, so there was no noise whatsoever. Our apartment consisted of one huge room with a bed, sitting and dining areas, a kitchen and a separate shower with toilet. The decor was not quite according to my taste, but everything looked new and was in perfect working condition.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bejo_hu
Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

We made a last minute decision to stay one night in Cádiz after growing tired with the ubiquitous tourist hordes throughout most of the rest of Andalucia.

These apartments are located in the beautiful old part of Cádiz city, close to good value (for Cádiz) public parking (2 mins walk away - €13) in Plaza San Antonio.

On booking, the owner requested that we provide details of our arrival time as the front desk is not manned.
Telephone numbers are provided should you require any assistance during your stay.

The property is located on a smart commercial street with apartments over a number of shops. There is a small sign for Casa Palacio. It is on your right hand side as you walk south down Calle Ancha.

The owner arrived at exactly 4pm, as arranged. The property is very secure, with a key provided for the two external doors and for the door to your flat. The apartments are in a safe area of Cádiz and close to most of the best tapas bars and restaurants.

Our two bedroom apartment was huge with access to a small roof terrace. The flats have been refurbished recently and are spotless. There were two bathrooms (one en-suite).

There was plenty of space for my girlfriend and I to run around the apartment, like gambolling lambs. We got excited by this and decided to play with the air-conditioning controls for the apartment. The temperature can be adjusted as low as 16 degrees, so we started our siesta in the cool environs of the second bedroom.

The apartment is triple-glazed and extremely quiet despite its location in the centre of Cádiz.

The flat was well furnished with a large open plan kitchen / living / dining room. There isn't much in the way of basic food items supplied (olive oil, salt, pepper) but we didn't investigate fully. Most utensils appeared to be supplied (pots, pans, cutlery etc).

Due to us only staying in Cádiz for one night, we did not get chance to try the modern kitchen facilities. There is a wonderful market about 5 mins walk from the apartments with the most amazing array of fresh fish, seafood, meat and fruit and vegetables.

However, we wanted to sample the best local tapas bars that are only a few minutes away. Our favourite tapas bar was Cumbres Mayores.

The nearby Plaza San Antonio was pretty. After our air-con tampering session, we showered in the separate bathrooms before venturing out to enjoy the early evening atmosphere of Cádiz old town. There were lots of affluent Spanish families sat in the square, watching their children play. Unfortunately, the beauty of the square was tarnished somewhat by an old woman who decided to appoint herself as chief urination officer. After feeding the kids copious amounts of Naranja, she picked each toddler up one by one, pointed them at the nearest orange tree, and, in an ironic piece of Spanish recycling, encouraged them to release the waste products of copious amounts of orange juice.

We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says, "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of orange trees in Plaza San Antonio." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.

When you check out in the morning, there is a metal drop box for keys that is attacked to the wall to the right before you reach the front door of the reception. You need the key to unlock the door so don't deposit your key before you open the door. And if you do, then phone the owner for help.

We thoroughly recommend these apartments. Càdiz hotels are very expensive in summer due to the nearby beaches. Most other hotels were quoting €140 per night plus €25 a day for private parking. Therefore, compared to these poorly rated hotels, Casa Palacio was actually quite good value and, most importantly, it was located in Cádiz old town rather than along the beachfront strip 4km away, where most of the bland hotels are located. Very good.

Recomendamos completamente estos apartamentos. Hoteles de Càdiz son muy caros en verano debido a las playas cercanas. frente a estos hoteles mal clasificados, Casa Palacio fue realmente muy buen valor.

Y, lo más importante, fue ubicado en el casco antiguo de Cádiz en lugar de a lo largo de la playa tira 4 km de distancia, donde se encuentran la mayoría de los Hoteles anodino. Muy bien. Perfecto.

• Stayed: September 2012