“I love planktom!”

Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 October 2015 via mobile

Second time at the restaurant and it just simply gets better. Their new location is a mix of tradition, modernity and the sea and that's what you also get served. I love Angel Leon's creations and even though our previous visit wasn't apart, I got some flavours from back then and discovered new ones. We had our "planktom shot", "chocos" fried roll (bocadillo cremoso de calamares), the sardines that make you feel like you're in heaven but I was a bit disappointed with the lovely "sopa yódica de berberechos", which is one of my favorites, was served on a dish resembling a rock filled with pores that soaked part of my soup. Thank God the waiters brought us some delicious bread, and even though, it's not good mannered, we used it to get the delicious liquid out of the tiny holes. Among our new discoveries was the "gazpacho de tomates verdes" wich was sublime, very fresh and tasty. I can't wait to come back again. It's a pity they won't be open for my birthday, but they'll have the new "tasca".

1  Thank Beach-Dew

Reviewed 21 September 2015

We have eaten at quite a few Michelin Star Restaurants. This is the first one we have ever rated low. We both love seafood and trying new things which appeared to be what this establishment offered. The service was top notch when noticing when we were done etc, but they never let us breath between courses. Everything was way too fast. We did the wine pairing as well which definitely needed some time to enjoy before the next course. The cuisine was very good, but no worthy of the price. Angel Leon, the chef, came out and spoke to every table but our table. We definitely felt a bit snubbed by him, but if the experience would have been better, it would not have bothered us so much.

2  Thank TravlnGastronomy
Reviewed 30 July 2015

Great experience as all dishes except the desserts were local fish and seafood in modern dishes, all paired by a matching sherry!

Reviewed 15 July 2015

When you get in the restaurant your are welcomed by the crew and leaded to your table. I love that the kitchen can be seen from the very entrance. Then, Ángel León, as a great host, greets every single table one by one and chat a little bit with you.
The experience starts with the atmosphere, but the summum is the food. Every single dish is delicious as well as exciting because you don't know what wonder of the sea you are going to discover. What I loved most was the sardine which comes with its own fat and can be labeled as foie-gras of the sea because of its texture and flavor; the oyster was to die for, in three phases: marinated, in a mousse and freeze-dried, and I have to say that I am not a big fan of oysters but Ángel León won my heart with this one; plankton is so good that you wouldn't mind to be reincarnated in either a shrimp or a lobster, what a mouthwatering flavor, it is a bit of the ocean; all in all, every single bite will make you feel like a daredevil ready to conquer. The Chef has shifted traditional gaditano food into a new and surprising journey for your palate that you may not want to brush your teeth afterwards or eat anything because you will feel sad of not getting something similar in your next meal, and in addition, you will become a plankton lover! What else can you expect?

Reviewed 14 July 2015

We had a 22 course meal for 4 of us. We chose the Grand menu as me and my mum are big lobster fans and the other menu didn't have lobster, the grand menu was €166.
Me and my mother also chose the 'Wine pairing' with our meal which was €66.
The food was very interesting and in parts was very tasty. However, some parts of the meal were so 'fishy' (tasted like being slapped in the face by a fish) that we couldn't bring ourselves to eat them. My mother and I also were expecting a nice glass if wine, most likely white with our courses. However it was Sherry, yes a Fortified wine but still not what we were expecting; we had around 8/9 sherries and it was really too much. However the sherry that you get second last which is 100years old is to die for. We then came to the deserts, I was confused as I hadn't had the lobster which I was hoping for. So I requested to see a copy of the menu, to which I was given a menu and I asked why I hadn't had the lobster. The waiter then digressed that there were 2 menus and that they were now in a different season and so they couldn't get lobster ( there is a lobster tank here at our hotel and you can lobster here easily so I really find it hard to see the problem a 2 Michelin star restaurant could have sourcing ingredients). The only reason we had chosen the Grand menu was the lobster and had we been informed prior to ordering we would have had the select menu and not wasted more money. The wine tasting was however a lot to handle, extremely interesting. The younger second sommelier was very knowledgable, he was obviously very passionate and was really good at explaining the new bottle we were drinking and what the significance of it was.
Overall, service apart from the lack of explanation at the beginning was very good and attentive, the sherry was nice despite the constant flow being over whelming and food was while in parts too fishy some were very tasty and amazing. It is definitely a experience and the 'party bag' at the end is a nice touch. Thank you

(I do want to mention that this review is from a British seafood lover who catches fish and lobsters every summer, I can understand if this restaurant appeals more to Spanish seafood lovers with the Mediterranean touches).