“Good location”

Monasterio De San Miguel Hotel
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Aside from Catholic boarding school flashbacks of Madonna and baby Jesus at evey turn we had an enjoyable stay at this hotel. It's a bit dark and dated and impersonal however the cafe, pool and courtyard area we loved. A little noisy with people coming and going.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 June 2013

Party of four friends had an excellent stay in this delightful hotel. Day areas and pool a delight with ever helpful staff. Rooms a little tired but perfectly adequate. Perfect location for train to Cadiz and Jerez, as well as the return by catamaran from Cadiz .Tio Pepe tour Saturday morning was excellent. Search out the restaurant El Arriate in Puerto de Santa Maria on the road from harbour up to Bull ring, wonderful food, delightful couple running the restaurant serving local specialities and quite reasonably priced.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank ElCid45
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I came as part of group of 87. I was a solo traveller and did not expect too much from my room based on experiences in some other hotels. I was very pleasantly surprised. I had a very large room with a king size bed and en suite facilities. There was also the usual hairdryer, TV etc. and plenty of power points. I also visited some double occupancy rooms and the only difference I could see was that most had large twin beds pushed together and also a balcony and a view of the garden. ( I had neither balcony nor view, but we were in the centre of town.) From the moment I arrived, till I left, I found the staff very friendly and helpful no matter where I went. Inside the hotel was very interesting as it was a former Convent (despite the name) and had many interesting things to look at, although of course mostly religious themed. On the negative side, it is in a very narrow street which our coaches could not negotiate. This meant that each day during our mini-break we had to walk 5-8 minutes to the main road to pick up the coach, which was sometimes problematic for those less able-bodied among us. The breakfast was from 7.30am each day in buffet style and excellent food standards with plenty of choice including bacon and scrambled eggs every day. The evening dining room however did not open till 8.30pm with the meals service beginning around 9pm. Rather late for our "Senior Citizen" Group more used to British early dining, although for the Spanish who more often dine around 11pm this was still quite early. A bit of a cultural difference there I think. Some people were also disappointed that there was no menu choice and we were all served the same meal by waiters. I am not sure if this was maybe a "special price deal" as part of our group holiday? The other surprising thing was that the bar always closed at 11pm. We are not heavy drinkers but we barely had time to get to the bar for a nightcap and a bit of a social chat before retiring, when we were asked to leave again! I understand this was a local by-law or something although I was never able to confirm it. I cannot fault the standard of the hotel both in the public areas and the rooms. Immaculate. The hotel is in a quiet location and yet only a few minutes from the interesting town centre. Despite the minor negatives I would still stay there again.

Room Tip: The dining rooms are in the basement and need 3 staircases to negotiate them. Ater 2 days we found t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I stayed here for 4 months with work, and I'm not in any rush to go back.

The room was pleasant enough, cleaned every day, fresh sheets, towels etc. It was nice and bright, and the bathroom was very spacious and bright.

The food there was very expensive, and in my opinion not at all worth it. On one occasion my fiance and I went down to the bar and ordered "Grilled chicken breast, chips and salad" and "Marinated steak with fried potatoes and eggs"... When it arrived, we got deep fried chicken pieces on the bone with chips, and gammon, egg and chips. The problem was that the Spanish menu was accurate, but the English translation was completely wrong.

On another occasion, three members of staff entered our room when I was at work and my fiance was in bed. They let themselves in without knocking, and when she saw them and asked what they were doing, they stared at her and left the room without saying anything. I made a complaint to management, and after being told that "Is not possible" for 5 minutes, they told me that they had been sent to repair the TV, despite there not being a problem with it.

On a positive note, the breakfast was pretty good.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tom_A_B
Reviewed 8 September 2012

comfortable hotel with large clean rooms, large variety of choices in breakfast, and large clean pool in ex monastery garden. Unique building with previous christian pray halls, old holy figures and paintings, lovely patio and one of best restaurant in the city. Location is close to city's center which is lovely, many tapas, restaurants, clubs and ice cream shops. We loved the hotel and the city very much. great spot for vacation.

Room Tip: the elevator is a bit noisy. Check if your room got pool or road window side.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sh_y_trip
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We stayed in the hotel for one night with the group of 8 friends and 3 children. Had the most romantic dinner in the patio and all of us felt and loved the monastery atmosphere as well as the location of the hotel. Would definetely recommend it to the visitors of Cadiz area.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank kartvelimogzauri
Reviewed 29 April 2012

What a stunning redevelopment of the monastery site. Swimming in a monastery garden; well that;'s different. But how false religion has fallen. The hotel is also now going the same way. Look; it is in a poor part of a poor town, Puerto de Santa Maria. What would have been eye catching say 10 years ago, is now tired and past its best. We fed well and slept well. And thanks to the catamaran ferry made it to Cadiz.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple