“Wonderful hotel”

Kempinski Hotel Bahia
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Estepona
Reviewed 25 February 2014

A colleague and I were here in December of 2013. We stayed for a week. We had business in Gibraltar and didn't want to stay there, so after researching hotels online, we took a chance and stayed at the Kempinski. We both loved it! My room overlooked the back of the hotel so I had a view of the gardens and the sea. It was extremely quiet. I know that some other reviewers have said that you can hear the road in the front, but I didn't hear any road traffic. Again, maybe because my room faced the back. As for the room itself, it was very pretty, done up in soft colors and furniture. Everything was in perfect condition. The bathroom was lovely as well. (BTW, I am very picky - I like staying at the Four Seasons, Ritz, Intercontinental, and beautiful boutique hotels when I travel for pleasure. So the fact that I liked this place says a lot). The restaurant was wonderful! Breakfast consisted of a lovely European style buffet (tons of cheeses, breads, pastries, meats, eggs, waffles, fruits, cereals, sweets... the choices were endless and the presentation very nicely done). The restaurant overlooked the back of the hotel and had lovely views of the sea beyond. We also had dinner in the restaurant a few times and it was excellent (I am selective when it comes to my choice of restaurants as well). The lobby was beautifully done up with a big tree (we stayed the week before Christmas) and was large with high ceilings and glass doors that opened onto a very large deck. There is a big open bar in the lobby with comfortable seating. We spent a few evenings sitting here with a glass of wine after a long hard day at work in Gibraltar. I think that the one thing that really made this hotel stand out was the wonderful staff throughout the hotel - at the reception area, the bar, and the restaurant. They were exceptionally nice and very friendly. And finally, the hotel cat Frederico was adorable and very friendly as well! I will be going back to Gibraltar on business and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay in a room at the back of the hotel, facing the sea. If you cannot afford to stay in an ocean f...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
JMP_Kempinski, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Bahia, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear letudo,

thank you very much for your wonderful comments and for having stayed with us during your business trip to Gibraltar in December 2013. We are very happy to hear that we could make your trip a nice memory and that you enjoyed our restaurant offerings and services.
Again thank you very much for all your comments. We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Jean-Marc Poli

Write a ReviewReviews (1,062)

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed here for one night for valentines .

Great hotel and great staff great location the breakfast was outstanding and plentiful .
But for a 5 star hotel shame about the spa :( lovely sauna & steam room nice gym but small indoor swimming pool and no jacuzzi :(

Room Tip: If you do choose to stay here I highly recommend Sea view & looking over the stunning Gardens

Dear Denny V,

thank you very much for having chosen to spend valentines day at our Hotel. We appreciate your comments and thank you very much for having enjoyed our services and breakfast offerings.
We are sorry that the Spa was under renovation and our facilities were temporary during your stay.
It would be great to welcome you again in near future!

With kind regards,
Jean-Marc Poli

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stayed for 8 days in feb. Lovely buildings and staff were great. Had some issues with noise as they are upgrading rooms. However they moved us twice. Reception could not understand why we would not accept a room with drilling noise. Reception staff need to be more customer friendly and understand customer needs. Once we got settled it was a great place with great views and supa dupa breakfasts....

2  Thank Costalitaking
JMP_Kempinski, Director General at Kempinski Hotel Bahia, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Costalitataking,

thank you very much for having stayed with us and for your comments on our buildings, staff and breakfast offerings. We appreciate your feedback. Currently we are upgrading our room facilities and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you during your stay. We are sorry about the misunderstandings you have had with our reception staff and we apologize for that.
Thanks again for your time and we are looking forward to welcome you again should you decide to spent your holidays again in Estepona/Marbella.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 20 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here 3 nights for the beginning of our honeymoon. We were upgraded to a room on the top floor which was very quiet and had a lovely sea view and balcony. The staff members were incredibly friendly and helpful. If we asked for something, they were on it very quickly and did it with pleasure. The food at Alminar was delicious (but was on the pricey end) and the service was great. The spa facilities are very, very nice. The indoor pool and sun room were lovely for us to enjoy on a chilly day. Part of the spa area was undergoing renovation which didn't bother us at all, as we could not hear it from our room, or from any of the spa areas we were in. The worker there was very kind and apologetic anyway and we appreciated that.

We came during the off-season (it was also a particularly chilly and rainy week) so the outdoor area was nearly empty during our whole stay. The gardens are absolutely beautiful and the pool looks great. We would have loved to take advantage of all of the outdoor amenities if we came at a different time. I would imagine it gets quite busy out there. We really enjoyed being able to walk out to the empty beach and enjoy the spectacular mountain views and blue water. What a beautiful location!

We were very sad to leave this place as it was super comfortable, relaxing and we felt like we were very well taken care of. It was one of the highlights of our trip for sure. We look forward to returning someday!

PS: The included breakfast buffet is fantastic. Delicious food and a huge selection of a variety of items. We looked forward to breakfast every morning. :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
JMP_Kempinski, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Bahia, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear E K,

thank you very much for having chosen us for your stay in Estepona/Marbella.
We appreciate your nice comments on our restaurants, Spa and gardens.
Thank you for having enjoyed and appreciated our services and offerings. We look forward to your next visit to your home away from in Andalusia, Costa del Sol.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Lunch in the Alminar restaurant in the Kempinski. What could be nicer?

That's what I thought.

Starched tablecloths, attentive waiters, and surely exquisite food, beautifully presented?

Well, I got three of the four!

The setting is, of course, very good. I have been to other events here, and the aperitivo in the garden followed by the dinner in the dining room has always been very good. But I was disappointed with my lunch.

First course I chose an insalata caprese. You know, very obvious, very classic: Tomatoes, mozzarella di buffala, basil and a dressing. Nice and fresh on a hot summer's day.

The waiter came and brought me a small narrow glass, filled with what looked like ice-cream and sorbet, with a sprig of mint at the top. I assumed it was a free extra, the aperitivo de la casa served while my meal was being prepared, so I enquired what it was exactly.

It's your first course salad, he replied.

What!? My tomato and cheese salad?

Yes, he whispered in Spanish, so the English and German clients wouldn't hear his treachery. All the food is like that here, it's all "comida de diseño" - Design food.

It looked weird. It tasted weird. The texture was weird. It WAS weird.

And it set the standard for my meat course and my pudding. Never what I expected, and never a pleasant surprise.

In London I have eaten in good restaurants. In France, outstanding ones. But this was just weird.

Sorry!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Turista-Inglesa
JMP_Kempinski, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Bahia, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Turista - Inglesa
First and foremost, thank you for having stayed with us in June last year. Secondly, thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry that the experience at lunch at the Alminar was below par and below your expectations and please accept our sincerest apologies. The Alminar restaurant will be repositioned this year in May. The entire menu, food offerings, service sequence will be revised. Once again, thank you for your time and we hope to welcoming you back to our Hotel should you decide to spend the vacations in the Costa del Sol again.
With kindest regards

Reviewed 23 January 2014

This was my second stay at the hotel, booked through a travelzoo special offer and once again we were made to feel very welcome by all the staff in the hotel and restaurant. Sometimes you feel that you are getting second rate treatment when you have one of these deals but the meal in the restaurant was superb and our room was fabulous with lovely views over the garden, pool and sea. The buffet breakfast was extensive though as with many of these in even the best hotels the cooked breakfast was not as hot as we would have liked. Hotter hot plates and heated plates would help! The sauna and steam area in the spa are spacious and immaculate but the indoor pool was a bit disappointing. More like a children's pool with little depth and sadly no jacuzzi or jets. However the outdoor pools are lovely and everywhere is beautifully kept.
The bar prices and well stocked mini bar are expensive but as you would expect from this level of hotel and the free wifi is now available. I would definitely recommend the hotel especially if you manage to get a special deal.

Room Tip: We paid for an upgrade to a room with full sea view and it did have a lovely balcony with fabulous v...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teabag

Dear Teabag,

thank you for having stayed with us again. It is always a pleasure to receive regular guests at their home away from home, in Andalusia.
Thank you for having enjoyed our services and thank you for all your comments.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Superb service in a lovely hotel, great breakfast, lovely setting , the hotel grounds is surrounded by a beautiful garden facing the sea and in the middle of it all, two amazing swimming pools,

Although we did not try the food in the hotel , I am sure it would have been excellent, the problem being in the costa there are so many nice restaurants that you have so little time to try them all, and you only concentrate on your favourites.

Room Tip: try sea facing or garden facing rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Acquarian1

Dear Acquarian,

Thank you very much for having stayed with us in January 2014 and for your nice comments. It is always pleasant to hear about the experiences of our guests and appreciation of our services. Thank you very much for all your feedback. Looking forward to being of service again in the next future.

Jean-Marc

Also consider these accommodations in or near Estepona
Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa
#5 of 33 in Estepona
Gran Melia Don Pepe
Gran Melia Don Pepe
#5 of 69 in Marbella

Been to Kempinski Hotel Bahia? Share your experiences!