“Will never be back”

Sol Marbella Estepona Atalaya Park by Melia
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Estepona
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Just returned from 2 weeks in estepona with having 10days in private accommodation and spending the last three days of our holiday at this hotel. Let's just say it spoiled my holiday
Upon arrival our room wasn't ready so I said I would hang about in lobby if someone would be kind enough to inform us when it would be ready only to go back to them an hour later to be told it's ready.

I was handed two keys and a map and pointed in the general direction where our room was, once we arrived at our room but not before passing the hall stained carpets, empty breakfast plates and glasses still in hall (after 2pm may I add), I opened the door to find a large bathroom and 4 single beds in a room with no room to swing a cat.
Upon inspection of the room I noticed plaster coming away from the walls, holes in the curtains, only to open the patio door which did not lock and be greater with what looked to me like the master air conditioning unit for the full hotel and you can imagine the noise coming from it.

My wife had pointed out to me that instructions on the map handed to us also had rules for dining at dinner. To my surprise it says no shorts allowed at dinner (who goes on holiday with long trousers when you come from Scotland) so you can imagine I was like a raging bull. I returned to the reception to asked to be moved and was told all the family rooms are the same and the hotel was full so nothing could be done, I as lso asked about no shorts allowed at dinner and was sent to see the restaurant manager to see if I was allowed to wear shorts and she agreed with me when you come on holiday not many people bring trousers so I was allowed in.

We had a walk about the complex to see where thing we're and how good the place was meant to be and let's just say I was not impressed as it was really dirty.
We managed to find a few sundebs all be it 2 were broke and within an hour of trying to relax I went back to the room to sit listening to the noise of air conditioning.

Dinner time came and went within about 20 minutes because there was nothing to our liking and even the chips and chicken nuggets were cold. The kids had some ice-cream and we left to find food outside hotel and we never returned for dinner eating out all the time.

On our last day our check out was at 12, but our pick up was not till 6.45 in the evening so we were advised to put our cases in lockable room which we could have access to at anytime. I also asked if they offer washing facilities as we were out of our room and they said yes they have showers at the indoor pool.

I forgot to say that after we had breakfast we left the hotel and didn't return until bed time it wa as that bad.

It was time to change and get ready for home so myself, wife and two kids went to indoor pool to have a shower and get changed only to be advised by the life guard that the showers had been closed for repair for a week, he pointed to the shower next to the pool and said we could use that, we ended up washing in the sink in the toilets.

I travel all over the world for work and for holidays and this has got to be the Worst ever hotel I have stayed in

Room Tip: Avoid in all cases
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Colin G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,213)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

By far one of the worst hotels I'v stayed at & I have travelled and stayed through out the world
This hotel offers no customer service to its residents.
If you are fully inclusive then be prepared to be ignored at the bar. Paying at the bar gives you the right to have the best personnel service, not the case if you are all inclusive. The bar staff are missirable and do not inter grate with you.
In the main restaurant you are asked on some days, for no reason whatsoever to use another restaurant where the quality of food is poorer.

The only good thing was the the entertainment crew, they worked hard to intergrate and organise group activities - day and evenings. Their efforts are lost in this place.

You will definitely need transport as this hotel is near nowhere an the nearest town is 10-15 min drive.

Room Tip: Always ask for sea view, it offers the best outlook from your room and level 2-3
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dennis W
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We've been here six times over ten years with our children, 13 and 6. We were recommended it by a friend primarily because it was so family orientated ( don't be put off by golf ) the hotel seems to serve both general and specialist holidays very well. We love it because its right on the beach and well off the main coastal motorway at the end of a cul -de - sac very safe away from traffic. As mentioned in other reviews this Hotel is aged but was obviously the jewel in the cost del sol crown in its day. We've had various standard of room over the years, from small family rooms, junior suites and a full suite. They were all spotlessly clean and cleaned thoroughly every day. There are two buffet style restaurants serving the same menu but in different parts of the hotel, one is smaller and is close to the main reception and the other is quite large and situated along a large corridor that links the two parts of the hotel. There was always several fish choices, several meat choices, an abundance of salads and pastas and soups. Our children are plain eaters and they were always able to find something ( with chips )
This is not a chips and burgers or curry chip restaurant but you will find something that you'll enjoy. The desserts were also wide and varied. Breakfasts, cooked breakfasts, fruit, cereals, breads, croissants...again a large selection to choose from. There is a great chinese at the top of the road ( over the footbridge and go left to the "Diana" shops) to the hotel as well as various other small cafes and shops. Also, if you walk onto the beach and look along the beach to the right you will see a small wooden glass fronted beach restaurant about a ten minute walk along the beach..we ate there several times, they have a very "english menu" burgers, etc etc. and their food and service is great.
We found the bar staff and all restaurant staff very friendly and helpful..Any grumpiness that we encountered was more confusion about our accents and what we were actually asking for! There were two main outdoor pools and an indoor pool in use when we were there and a small childrens pool. Beside the main "L shaped pool" there is a small snack restaurant / bar which is open for lunches and you could eat lunch within a car length of the shallow end while the children played. If you wanted you could eat and be within five seconds of your children if needs be.
There is a childrens "mini club" morning and afternoon, where children can do arts and crafts or sports activities. Our youngest child loved the mini club. You won't find too many ipads, or Nintendos DSs here..its very much hands on traditional play activities.
There is a short "mini -disco" every night where the entertainments staff guide the children through half an hour of childrens songs in different languages, head Shoulders knees and toes etc. After the childrens songs there is usally entertainment for the adults. Some nights it was Flamenco or other guest performers and other nights it was the entertainment team themselves. Its not Las Vegas but more early rounds of Britains Got Talent,,,
This hotel also provides a wide and varied programme of sports activites..Archery, Football, Volleyball, Golf, Tennis, Shooting....too many to mention. A Tennis Professional provides paid lessons and you can hire a court as well. The guests there were mainly Spanish, French, Dutch or German.some Irish and English / Scottish families too. A small shop beside reception sells UK newspapers and the selection of other European papers on sale reflects the client group. Theres a hairdressing salon on the ground floor too.

This is a wonderful affordable hotel which although getting old is still graceful and elegant in its own way Yes, the corridor carpets do look a little worn but given the traffic of people coming and going from the pools all day it serves its purpose. Its not high end posh at all but a great hotel still providing a service to a high standard.

If you are looking for high end luxury like the multinational hotel brands with mints on your pillow then this is not the place for you. If you are looking for Dublin, London, Manchester, Glasgow in the cost del sol where everyone speaks english and the food is the same as any Uk restaurant then this is not the place for you. If however, you want an affordable family holiday where you can relax off the beaten track in safety and meet people from different cultures and see no bad drunken behaviour at all....then this may well be for you. Back soon Atalya !!

Room Tip: Ask for sea view or price a corner sea view suite...surprisingly not much more expensive than a fa...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Ome P
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

The official rate is north of 100 of europes finest currency. .. but frankly it ia definitely not worth that. Oldwith its own sense of style and grace.. back in the late 60s early 70s.. if only the walls could talk the stories they would have. Its now a old place which has little or no investment for at least a generation. Didn't play golf but will assume that that must be the highlight. Approx 15 euro to get to the main strip of marbella. Full of kids too.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This is simply the worst hotel I have ever had the displeasure of staying in.
However I can highly recommend it if you don't like air conditioning, love cockroaches the size of a fist, are aroused by the smell of stale smoke, think simple maintenance is for the overly privileged, grey thin towels are the hight of fashion and wish to battle 100 hungry Spanish children for a bit of breakfast.
On a slightly positive note there was a charming pregnant cat

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Pete H
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have been coming to Atalaya Park for 15 years or so and while it now seems a little more worn than before it still remains a wonderful resort for families. My daughter was one when she had her first Atalaya holiday. She is now 13 and having as much fun now as she did as a baby, toddler and growing up in-between. The rooms are simple and a bit outdated to say the least but they are comfortable and always immaculately clean. The TVs are a bit old but there's free WiFi all over the resort. Who wants to watch TV here anyway when there's so much to do for adults and kids? The food is served in two buffet restaurants and is always good. You can find something for every palate. A family can eat comfortably with plenty of choice for everyone. And the staff are always friendly and helpful. This holiday when we arrived I thought to myself maybe this would be the last time. But, after just 24 hours I stopped seeing the tired rooms and the lack of a fresh coat of paint and just fell back in love with the place. There's a huge pool, a small beach, tropical gardens, basketball court, running track, tennis courts and 2 golf courses five minutes away. Snacks and drinks are reasonably priced but the half-board option is a real steal and well worth it for the great breakfasts and dinners. If you're looking for something posh this is not it. If you are looking for a haven for families in a safe, friendly location then you can't find better. My only wish is that the management finds some time and cash to give the place an update. It would be great to know that this wonderful resort will be looking after my children and their children in generations to come. .

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building have the best views though the rooms in the Annex building are much bigge...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ericmaci
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Nice resort with big and good facilities in wich you can relax and have a good time specially for kids.

There is a fantastic animation team (Golden Entertainment) that always do enjoyable activities for adults and children, all of them are such lovely people!

I definately recommend it to everyone, because it is the perfect place with the best weather of Spain to go on holidays.

• Stayed: July 2014