“A post Christmas break”

Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Estepona
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“A post Christmas break”
Reviewed 25 May 2011

I really enjoyed my few days at Playa Andaluza. I needed a few days on my own after the Christmas madhouse, and my break at Playa Andaluza was very pleasant indeed. I had a two-bedroom apartment to myself, which was great. The apartment itself was very large with a beautiful balcony which had a pool view. The kitchen was fully equipped and spotless, the bedrooms were comfortable and very spacious, the bathrooms were luxurious (one of which had the deepest bathtubs I've ever seen). The apartment had wireless internet (which was free, if memory serves), and the tv received all five UK terrestrial tv channels. The location of the property is a little 'remote' perhaps, and in my opinion, a car is definitely needed (which I had, thankfully, which allowed me to visit the local Carrefour hypermarket in Estepona, Puerto Banus, and the very nice La Cañada shopping centre in Marbella), but if you want a relaxing getaway, then this is definitely somewhere to consider.

My only gripe is about the swimming pool. I also stayed at Playa Andaluza in October 2010 (ie, 3 months before the trip I'm reviewing), and as lovely as the swimming pool is, the water was utterly freezing. I'm surprised there weren't icebergs floating on it. I love to swim, and I've been swimming most days since I was 4 years old, and usually, you can throw any amount of cold water at me you want to and it wont bother me, but the pool at Playa Andaluza was SERIOUSLY cold. Bone-numbingly cold.

I spoke to the hotel management about this, and was told that during the summer months, the pool isnt heated. I guess they consider October to still be summer on the Costa del Sol. I was also told that in the winter, the pool is fully heated.

In January, the water was even colder, and there's absolutely no way it was heated. Once again, I spoke to the management, and was first told that it was heated (which it clearly wasnt) and was later told that to keep costs down, the pool wouldn't be heated for the winter season. Very nice indeed, assuming you're a penguin.

This was a real shame, because the pool itself is stunning. Super clean and sparkling, and extremely inviting, especially as the weather in January was really beautiful most days - but in the time I was at the hotel in January, I didnt see one person get into the pool, apart from me, and I was in it for about (literally) four minutes before I realised that the initial 'ooh its cold' feeling wasnt going to wear off, and that it was just getting worse. To avoid having a heart attack and freezing to death, I got out, dried myself off, and went and sat in my extremely deep bath tub for half an hour to defrost.

Overall a very nice stay, but for me, it would have been ten times nicer if I could have used their lovely pool. I really dont understand why Marriott (or any company) would operate such a deluxe property but completely remove one of the biggest perks from their guests: the ability to go for a swim in a very attractive pool.

I must also add that a couple of years ago, I stayed at their sister property, the Marriott Marbella Beach, and the pool situation was the same. It wasnt heated, but it was bearable (just). It was unbearable at Playa Andaluza.

But I'd certainly recommend the property to anyone wanting a very deluxe self-catering experience, especially if they hate to swim. I would have given this property five stars if it hadnt been for my dip in the Antarctic ocean.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank OakPlant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Peaceful & quiet with quality amenities. Friendly staff and everything on site with numerous activites for everyone. First trip to Spain and enjoyed the people, the food, the weather, the beauty...the best. Thank you so much. Regards, Judy & Doug Irwin

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 12 May 2011

The Marriot Vacation Club is well worth a visit for a family or a group of friends. The suites are plush and nothing has been overlooked. I cannot think of one device that was missing from the suites. Despite being a solo traveller, I managed to gain some invaluable rest in pleasant surroundings.

Room Tip: Suite Grenada 1005 VIP
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank georgegrimes
Bellevue
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Our decision to stay at Playa Andaluza for 5 days was made, in large part, because of my Marriott Platinum status, and reviews on Trip Advisor. In hindsight we should have avoided Easter Week at this property, since we were there without children or grandchildren.

Further, on all prior Marriott Vacation Club visits, I received a Platinum upgrade upon arrival. Due to the fact that this property was completely sold out during Easter Week, there was no upgrade. It is true, on the surface, that I had a decent deal here (119 Euros per night, including full buffet breakfast for 2), but the price I paid for that rate was a tiny, tiny single room (rather than an apartment), about the smallest I´ve ever stayed in. It was literally challenging to walk from one side of the room to the other. It consisted of two twin beds pushed together to form a pseudo-King bed, and the beds were inferior compared to Marriott standards in the rest of their properties. With a lousy US to Euro exchange rate presently, it turned out to be a not-so-good deal.

The bathroom walls were water stained and ugly. Hair dryer was weak and difficult to use effectively. Shower curtains were split in the middle, by design, and strange to use. Trash was not uniformly emptied daily, as advertised. Towels are not up to Marriott standards. Free washing machines (the ones we used are in the parking garage) took 2 hours to complete even on the simplest cycle. And, the dryer left permanent black stain marks on some of our white clothes.

So why does everyone rave about this place? It is a beautiful property. Garage parking is free. Staff is extraordinarily helpful and everyone greets you with "hola" and a smile constantly. The gym is top notch. The pool area is gorgeous. For families, this is a great location with so much to do on site. There are good restaurants (assuming you rent a car) within a reasonable distance. There are great day trips to be had from this location (e.g. Gibraltar).

Bottom Line: As a couple going for a relaxing romantic visit of several days in Costa del Sol, stay away from Playa Andaluza during Easter Week (unless you love sharing the property with every one else´s kids of all ages). Pray for good weather (which they seemingly never get during Easter Week). And make sure you rent a car (which we did, thankfully) so that we could spend as much time as possible outside of our tiny room.

Room Tip: Make sure you´re getting a full apartment here.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank mshbnyehud
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 6 April 2011

We had alovely few days here, the weather was warm, the accommodation very comfortable and the facilities- indoor pool particularly great. You do need a car however, and it is a very big vacation club facility, still not quite finished where we were staying. The timing for us was excellent as there were no crowds and it was not too hot. I think we got very good value as it was not quite "in season".

Room Tip: The three bedroom villa was spacious for 6.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Judz80
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Had a great time, the rooms and common areas are so beautiful. The bar is actually a bit pricey since you can go just up the road to get beer and most of your food, wine, and drink much cheaper than the little onsite grocery. Don't miss meeting with the vacation advisor. Jordanne's recommendations were simply perfect and made our stay even better and we were in the tiny lock-off. We had a near perfect holiday here. So worth it, as Marriott usually is. The only negative was trying to walk the beach, which just isn't that nice.

• Stayed February 2011
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Staff here are typical of what you find in a Marriott: friendly, professional and well trained. The rooms here are massive, although the decor (sort of Andalusian/Mexican tiling and wood) was a little grim and surprisingly dated given this hotel is only 4 years old. We've also stayed at the Marriott Som Antem Vacation Club in Majorca which is far nicer than this place with villas instead of apartments. The well-equipped kitchen would be handy if we were staying here for longer than the 3 days we had (the Mercadona supermarket nearby and more expensive but massive Hipercor in Puerto Banus are very good).

My main gripe with the Playa Analuza is its location. Nothing is within walking distance, and putting aside the fact that I don't much like the Costa del Concrete much, you really do need a car to get around. A taxi to Puerto Banus for the main entertainment: seeing where the tasteless rich spend their money, and watch crop-topped Russian Paris Hilton wannabees walking their poodles (do they scoop their poop?) will set you back EUR 20 and Marbella EUR 30. Estepona is about the same distance, but we didn't go.

The fitness centre is also good (typical Marriott).

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Xoan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Estepona
IBEROSTAR Costa del Sol
H10 Estepona Palace
H10 Estepona Palace
#9 of 35 in Estepona
Occidental Estepona Thalasso Spa

Been to Marriott's Playa Andaluza? Share your experiences!