“Fantastic Rooms, excellent location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marriott's Playa Andaluza

Marriott's Playa Andaluza
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Estepona
Wrexham, North Wales
“Fantastic Rooms, excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2009

Stayed in the Cadiz block with wonderful view towards the sea. Our two bedroomed apartment was huge with all the amenities you'd expect including efficient air con, free internet, 3 TV's and large balcony. Rooms were very comfortable and clean and the shower was superb.

Disappointed with the breakfast in the restaurant, food of poor quality and overpriced. We purchased freshly baked croissants, baguettes and pastries from the onsite supermarket which were excellent. We ate at the restaurant a couple of evenings, the food was ok but nothing special bearing in mind the price, however the setting (outside) was lovely.

Whilst the complex was busy we never had a problem getting a sunbed by the pool or on the beach. The beach was fine although getting into the sea proved very tricky, due to the rocky sea bed, strong waves and steepness...definitley not child friendly. The food in the beach bar was better than in the restaurant.

A car is essential if you want to get out and about although there are many bars and restaurants within walking distance (just) along the busy A7.

We visited Ronda and Casares in the hills as well as the overrated Puerto Banus and Marbella. Estepona was nice but a hidden gem is Puerto La Duquesa just further along the A7. It has a beautiful marina and very quiet beach. The best thing though is the price of food and drink in the many bars and restaurants around the Marina...fantastic value.

Would fully recommend for a quieter holiday in lovely surroundings in top quality apartments...would return.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Grfter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
n.ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2009

We visited this great property from 30th august- 6th september 09. This was our seconed visit after we were there the same time in 08. We are new vacation club owners and exchanged our home resort for here. The facilities within the complex are excellant, three pools ,one of which is a fabulous kids pool with slide. We spent most of our time there, as our two year old daughter loved it. All the areas around the pools are lovely and clean and what you would expect from Marriott properties.
The actual apartments are lovely, spacious with great air-conditioning. The beds are so comfortable with great pillows! Good kitchen and plenty of utensils and cookware.
I cannot fault this property in any way, we had super weather and had a very relaxing week. We did not eat in the restaurant so cannot coment on the food on offer.
This is a great place for just chilling out with places of interest within reasonable driving distance. We had a lovely week and would not hesitate to recommend to everyone.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank lufcgirl
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2009

We stayed for a week in July, the resort was busy but did not feel overcrowded.

This is a long transfer from the airport at the moment due to roadworks in the San Pedro area.

This property is still not completed area around one of the pools is screened off but I dont think construction has yet started on this section. All facilities were open I think but there were vey few activities going on - even things advertised in the programme didnt take place.

Rooms are very nice - we stayed in the Almeria block which is the newest but has no underground parking so its not as convenient as the other blocks when you are carrying luggage etc. rooms are the standard Marriott vacation club standard with the usual facilities.

Cleanliness of the resort as with all Marriott properties was excellent.

The quality of the restaurants around are not great - if you want better quality you will need to go into Mabella, Puerto Banus or Estepona.

We have stayed at this property twice and the Marriott Marbella several times. The Marbella resort is better in terms of facilities, location, service and overall resort appearance in my opinion plus much closer to the airport.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank luv2holidayUk
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2009

We stayed at Marriott Playa Andaluza for a week in mid-July. We owe Marriott timeshares in Aruba and Orlando and we exchanges our Orlando units to Marriott Playa Andaluza. We had two 2 bedroom units. We had requested the units to be close to each other and we got them right next to each other with no problem. The front personel was extremely helpful. The units were spacious and clean. We stayed at the Granana building. I have nothing bad to say about the resort except the parking garage is very small. We had a minivan and we couldn't park it there, space too tight. We ended up parking the car outside which was just fine.
The beach is not very good, rocky and little dirty like some other reviewers had said. But we didn't go there for the beach, we came to see beautiful Spain. The driving was little scary but you really need a car to be able to get around. Nothing is within walking distance.
We truly enjoyed our stay at Marriott Playa Andaluza. We were there in the middle of the high season and to our pleasant suprise the resort never felt crowded unlike Marriott Aruba Surf Club where getting a palapa on the beach is a nightmare. We are already planning our next trip to Marriott Playa Andaluza.

3 Thank enma
Pordenone, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2009

As I am writing, I am currently enjoying my stay at Marriott Playa Andaluza using the resort free wired internet . This is my second stay at this MVCI resort, the first time was back in 2003 as the property had just opened and my experience was not 100% positive. But things were much, moch more positive this time.
I travelled to Estepona with my husband, my 8-month-old son and my parents, who are members of MVCI. They traded two of their weeks with two at Marriott Playa Andaluza: one in a two-bedroom apartment and the second one in a three-bedroom apartment.
The resort is really beautiful. There are currently 5 blocks: the “Granada”, “Cadiz” and “Almeria”, which are right by the seaside, and the “Sevilla” and the “Huelva”, which are more inside the complex. The company has planned to build two more complexes but the construction has not started yet (probably because of the global crisis). The resort features four pools: the main one, in front of Granada complex, one “activity” one (for aquagym, volleyball, …), one children pool plus one indoor one. There is also one restaurant called Solera with live music entertainment, one fitness centre, one more bar by the beach and one minimarket.
We stayed at Almeria building which is said to be opened at the very beginning of June, 2009. Both apartments (two-bedroom and three-bedroom) were really beautiful and well furnished, as always happens at Marriott, though remember that apartments at Almeria are smaller than the ones in the older buildings (the previous time I stayed at Granada and the villa was much spaciuos). All units have at least a partial sea (and pool) view and balconies.
The resort is beautiful (expecially the gardens) and kept very well. One day I noticed that a tile was broken and the associates promptly sent the manteinance to repair it.
The staff then gave me everything I needed for my baby: special bedding (coat), high chair, blender and eating set. Unfortunatly the resort does not provide strollers so I had to use my own. So the resort is extremely family-friendly.
Housekeeping makes a general daily service during the stay: that means that they make the beds, change the towels and clean a little bit – buth not deeply. Although I would have prefered the apartment to be kept more clean (and was surely too lazy to clen it my own), I can easily understand it, since the unit are really huge – expecially the three bed-room one!...
I had also a positive opinion about staff in general. My son got ill during our trip and the associates called the doctor on duty for us. As the baby was sick, we had to change our apartment to go into the three-bedroom one. They assigned the closest one to the one we were staying in and gave an immediately check out/check in, so moving the ill baby was easier.
We really enjoyed our stay at Andaluza, and my husband and me decided to join the MVCI, since we really love this place and wish to go back at least once every two years.
The area is then beautiful – Marbella, Puerto Banus, Gibraltar, Sotogrande, plus amazing hystorical cities such as Granada, Seville, Cordoba and Ronda. One only thing that is not outstanding is the beach itself – shelly and little dirty. But it is not Marriott fault, since all beaches in Spain are public and no-one seems to care much.
In the end, I really appreciate this resort, I would suggest it to my best friend (and expecially to families with young children) and I am already looking forward to my next visit here!

3 Thank Francesca-DM
Cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2009

The Marriott Resort - Estepona. What can i say, it was the perfect summer holiday, the self-catering apartments were fully equipped, the en-suite shower with two showers was nice, big bath. Very helpful staff, plus the resort boasted 4 pools plus slide, 2 baby pools, 6 jacuzzis, gym, mini-golf and many other activities. The private beach doesn't have the best sand, but being private it isn't too crowded.

A load of us went for a 50th birthday and arranged a bbq on the beach, they did rush some of the dishes resulting in the the meat not being cooked. But after a complaint they soon rectified with a complimentary breakfast.

The resort alone could cater for your every need, but remember Marbella is just down the road and a short walk away from the Mariott is a few irish bars and resturants - I would recommend the Taj mahal (they serve perfect indian food).

Would strongly recommend this to couples and families, i would like to return some day.

Lewis

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank smokey_plc
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2009

We went to this resort on a 4-day preview, which was great value, with free car hire included.
It was more like a serviced apartment, and a HUGE one at that. I went with my partner and stayed in a 2-bedroom apartment - this would probably be very good for families with kids etc. Very comfortable apartment, with coffee making and other facilities as in any serviced apartment + free WiFi as well. Everything was very spacious and luxurious.
The resort itself was amazing - the dream place for a 4-day trip of lazing around and indulging oneself! There is easy access to the beach, equipped with lounge chairs etc, as well as a restaurant on the beach itself. Access to gym, swimming pools and jacuzzi included, which was excellent for us, since me and my partner like working out and swimming!
There are 2-3 restaurants on-site which are slightly expensive (reasonable considering they are on-site), but had very high quality food and accomodating staff - we custom-made our dinner and really enjoyed it - especially the restaurant on the beach with amazing views. There is a supermarket where one can buy ready-to-eat / heat-and-eat food (though there are not too many options here) + rent out DVDs to watch (DVD players available in the rooms)
The reception staff were very friendly and helpful - they also offered tours and day trips to nearby places like Gibraltar etc. (you could join a tour operated by third parties - well organised, with Marriott pick-up and drop-off)
Overall a great place - we had a lazy 4-day break, did not use the car except for transport to/from the airport, and spent all our time walking around the resort / on the beach / in the gym / swimming!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank nomad2222
Also consider these accommodations in or near Estepona
Marriott's Marbella Beach Resort
Gran Melia Don Pepe
Gran Melia Don Pepe
#4 of 71 in Marbella
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,571 reviews

Been to Marriott's Playa Andaluza? Share your experiences!