“Disgraceful front desk service and jewellery stolen from hotel bedroom & foyer”

Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Estepona
Dublin
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I made a reservation to stay in a Junior Suite at the Hotel Elba Estepona for two nights in August 2013 to celebrate my wedding.

When I checked-in, the lady at reception was very welcoming and she upgrading me to a suite. Unfortunately, this was the only good service I received during my stay.

On the morning of my wedding, the air-conditioning in the bedroom was broken, I telephoned reception twice to see if a technician could fix it, but nobody arrived to the bedroom to help.

On the morning of my wedding, my bridesmaid gave me a rose gold Michael Kors watch. While I was at my wedding, this watch got stolen from my suitcase.

My new husband also gave me a gift of a white gold diamond bracelet on the morning of my wedding. As I was walking through the foyer at 4:25 pm, the bracelet went missing. As I was travelling to the church to get married, my bridesmaid phoned reception to see if the bracelet was handed in, but it was never located.

After my wedding, my bridesmaids called to the hotel to try to find the bracelet and the gentleman at reception was very rude and unhelpful to them and refused to allow them to view the CCTV footage. As there was a 20 minute gap from when the bracelet went missing to when we contacted the hotel, and we knew the precise location within the foyer where it went missing, we thought there would be a reasonably good chance of it being located. When I arrived back to the hotel after my wedding, I spent 10 minutes searching around the foyer (in my wedding dress) looking for the bracelet, not one person behind reception offered to help me.

I have called into the hotel three times since I checked out and emailed them twice for an update on the stolen watch and missing bracelet, on one occasion the lady behind reception rolled her eyes at me and puffed. Sadly, I haven't received a response to my emails nor have I received a telephone call or an update from the hotel.

The third time I called to the hotel with a Spanish speaking friend, the hotel agreed to allow me to watch the CCTV footage of the front door. During the 20 minutes when the bracelet went missing, only five or six people walked in or out of the hotel, and I was unable to find out who stole the bracelet as the CCTV camera did not extend to the area within the foyer where it went missing. It is worth pointing out that the hotel only agreed to allow me to see the CCTV footage after I threatened to report the matter to the police.

I have since filed a report with the local police in Spain and hopefully some good news will come out of it.

Overall, my experience at the Hotel Elba in Estepona has been very distressing and is the most upsetting part of my wedding. This is certainly not a five star hotel, and the service levels have been appalling.

I am writing this complaint on trip advisor to warn any guests at the hotel to be careful of their valuable possessions while staying in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank OrchidOrchid
Elba Estepona E, Director General at Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Tripadvisor Readear

We would like to inform you that this comment was published for the first time last August 2013.

Once denounced these accusations, which violate the good name of the Hotel, with no demonstrable accusations, this was deleted by Tripadvisor.

El Hotel has not received notification to date by the competent ( Police) authorities in this matter.

Following, please find our answer from last August 2013:

Dear Client

As you can understand it is not the responsibility of the hotel if you lost your bracelet in the lobby of the hotel and this has not been found. That day in particular the hotel was at 95% occupancy with an average of 500 customers, so understand please that somebody might have found the bracelet, and unfortunately this persons did not had the ethics of returning it. Once more, this unfortunate accident is not the responsibility of the hotel

A very serious and not provable indictment, is accusing us of having stolen a gold watch without any kind of evidence. As I informed you , this should have been immediately reported to the police for investigation

Regarding the security camera, I agreed you to watch them in my presence and not as you say after threatened to report the matter to the police. Please be informed that It contains confidential information which are protected by law. Once again the inconvenience was that the CCTV camera did not extend the particular area where the bracelet was missing. It is impossible to have cameras that visions every each meter of our property.

We fully understand your discomfort that caused the loss of your bracelet in this important day, your sadness, hopelessness and helplessness, but we do not agree with you, that the hotel and its staff have not have serviced you properly and according to the situation. We realy regret that this has been your perception and that you have left our hotel with a bad impression, which is a shame as we did our very best to satisfy your every need and we are really sorry to know that your expectations were not meet and we wish to apologize for this.

I remain at your entire disposal for any further information you may need.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Lokeren, Belgium
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We have already gone 2x to this hotel, every time for 2 weeks. The rooms are very spacious, the breakfast is very diverse, the personnel is always ready to help out. It is ideally located for golfers, the spa & fitness are well equiped. A car is indeed needed for visiting Marbella or Estepona. Am looking forward to go back ! Minor point is that the majority of the visitors are Spanish and that activities + kindergarten tend to be focussing on them.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

2 Thank Andy R
Elba Estepona E, Director General at Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and the trouble to post your comments about your stay at the Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa.

We are most thankful for constructive reviews as they allow us to enhance our understanding of our guests’ needs and expectations.

It is our hope to welcome you once again in the next future.

Hotel Management
Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I booked a 4 night break at this hotel for my wife and I during a recent trip to Spain. Whilst the hotel and room were fine the service was average at best culminating in our room not being cleaned and made up on our last night. Would never go back.

Room Tip: Cannot think gof a good reason to book a room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Davemoore2013
Dear Client,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa.

Unfortunately it seems you have left our hotel with a bad impression, which is a shame as we do our very best to satisfy the needs of all our costumers, and we are really sorry to know that your expectations were not meet and we wish to apologize for this.

The rooms are also properly reviewed before check in of guests and during the stay, however if you find the slightest imperfection or anything in need of cleanliness or repair you may advise reception or the Management the same day in oder to make sure it is fixed straightawa.

At Elba Hotels we strive to provide a unique experience to each client, therefore your opinion is very important to us. We have taken all appropriate measures to address the inconveniences you encountered.

Again, thank you for sharing your impressions; it gives us the opportunity to improve and offer you better service on your next visit.

Yours sincerely,
Gibraltar
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This is now the fith year, that we have visited Gran Hotel Elba.
Family orientated and we are always very well looked after by the freindly staff.
It's our kids 2nd home, they just Love it.
Even celebrated our parents 50th Anniversary at the Elba. Truly a five star experience.
We recomend it for any one, the breakfast if fit for a King and there is a choice of restaurants in the surrounding areas such as the Marina, if not the Hotels buffet has a wide variety of dishes for every pallet, you can't go wrong.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

2 Thank Sunil N
Dear Guest,

First of all, we wish to thank you for choosing the Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa for your stay in Costa del Sol.

As well, we appreciate the time you took to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

With comments of guests like you, we have the opportunity to know what really your expectations are, which we always want to fulfil.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back at the Hotel in a near future.

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Had a wonderful week, despite some negative reviews here on TA, we could not fault the hotel. All the staff from cleaners to Reception staff were so friendly and helpful, the room excellent.
A car is necessary as not too handy to the town, a couple of supermarkets across the road if you fancy a picnic lunch.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank John B
Elba Estepona E, Director General at Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Client,

It was such a pleasure reading your comments. Without a doubt, feedback like yours encourages us to continue working hard so that our guests’ experiences at our hotel are enjoyable ones.

We would love to see you again soon at any of our establishments.

Kindest regards
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Came here a while ago now for a few days days to relax, we had a wonderful holiday at the Gran Hotel Elba.
We had a double room which was HUGE with plenty of storage space, beautifully clean and tidy. Even had a inset repellent plug-in.
The blush bathroom was gorgeous with separate bath and separate shower, it also had his & hers sinks.
Breakfast had a good choice of fruit juices, fresh fruit, cereals, pastries, yoghurts, cold meats, cheeses and a chef ready to cook your eggs just how you'd like them.
The buffet at lunch times was perfect, with a variety of salads, soup, meat, fish. pasta, pizza and rice followed by a selection of delicious deserts. Yummy!
The pool area was lovely and clean with lots of sun loungers and towels
The gardens were beautifully maintained.
Private beach has dark sand and shingle, in the distance you can see the rock of Gibraltar.
The staff were helpful and friendly. The smell in the lobby was divine and really enjoyed the warm tea at reception.
Would recommend hire car. Estepona is a few minutes drive away and 20 minutes drive to Puerto Banus which is worth it to see the posh yachts and luxuriance cars.
A relaxing enjoyable stay, definitely would return here. Fabulous hotel. Loved it!!

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Luisa C
Elba Estepona E, Director General at Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa, responded to this review, 14 November 2013

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We spent a week all inclusive here in late July which was excellent value. We had to keep checking with reception that we really really didn't have a bill to pay as we could not believe how cheap it was. The room we had was excellent. Ground floor, right by the pool, our own little garden space and loungers and incredibly spacious. There was a spacious hallway, dressing room with 2 sinks, large bathroom with separate bath, lounge area with 2 beds for children plus a sofa and patio and a larger spacious room for us - best size of family accommodation we have come across. Food was nice although not amazing but perfectly lovely considering it was all included. All inclusive drinks were of a high standard and you never had to wait to be served. The children loved being able to order their own drinks and as many as they liked. We've never done all inclusive before but it was really nice being able to relax and not worry about how many 4euro cokes have been ordered by my son per day! Pool was lovely. Evening entertainment every night if you wanted it.

My only downside would be that we felt a bit restricted as there is only one bar, one restaurant for all inclusive and one entertainment space so after a week we began to crave a bit of variety. We had a lovely time though and I would go back. We also liked the fact that spa allowed children for a couple of hours a day which my two really enjoyed and took advantage of. Good hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Julia M
Dear Client,

First of all I would like to thank you for this wonderful comment regarding your stay with us here at the Gran Hotel Elba EStepona & Thalasso Spa.

It is with great pleasure that I read through your thoughts and realized how much you enjoyed your holidays with us.

I will personally pass them on to all staff members, as they will be delighted so receive such positive feedback.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the location of your room as well our all inklusive programme.

Thank you once again for the greatly appreciated comments and your praising and motivating words. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back shortly here at the Gran Hotel Elba Estepona for another holiday with us.

Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts regarding your stay with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon again here at our establishment.

Kind regards,