“Gran Hotel Elba”

Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Estepona
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This hotel is really excellent and has few drawbacks. The rooms are enormous and overlook the sea in all cases i think and some the pool and the sea.

On the downside, out of season most of the restaurants were closed, and would have been very expensive had they been open, also the hotel is some distance from the town and required a walk on the beach, if that is how you are going to get there. Really the only way is in a car, but you can see it is set up to be a resort in which you could remain of that is what you want.

All I can say is that we seemed to get our room at a god price, and it was good value.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gryhpe
Write a ReviewReviews (1,884)

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa for 3 nights as a family of 4 and we we're very pleased. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The room we got was a Junior Suite, it was very spacious and spotless, the room itself had 3 double beds, sofa, minibar, TV and a private balcony with sea view. The hotel has an outdoor and an indoor swimming pool, table tennis courts, gym and the Thalasso Spa. The restaurants were very good (the Arena Beach restaurant has a buffet) and the food was excellent. Thank you to Carlos and team for serving us with a smile. Overall, it is a brilliant place and we would definitely recommend it to anyone staying in Estepona.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Matt J
Elba Estepona E, Director General at Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Client,

It was such a pleasure reading your comments. Without a doubt, feedback like yours encourages us to continue working hard so that our guests’ experiences at our hotel are enjoyable ones.

We would like to let you know that we will take your opinions into account: they will doubtless help us to improve the customer service we offer our guests in the future.
We would love to see you again soon at any of our establishments.

Kindest regards.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My goal was to relax, wind down, and rebalance. This spa seemed to fit the bill. The room was really lovely. Customer service was sublime, courteous, and timely. I'd had a great deal of help from the staff before my arrival and never experienced the slightest irritation.
The enclosed pool was perhaps my favourite spot of all although the spa had lovely elements, and I indulged in a daily spa treatment. Ladies, if you'd like a real treat and have to choose one spa treatment, I suggest the 90 min seaweed treatment, you'll be glad you did.
My only complaint was the quality of food in the restaurants. Breakfast provided a large assortment to suit all tastes but the 'restaurants' didn't match my expectation for an abundance of healthy choices. Maybe it was the off-season sticking with essentials. And, do not order pizza with room service; it was limp, I suspect a frozen pizza popped in the micro-wave!

Eat elsewhere but do enjoy the beauty and excellent customer service this location offers!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank R0shanna

Dear Client,

Having read your comment regarding your recent stay with us and while I am very glad to learn
about your positive comments. Thank you very much !

It will be a big pleasure for all of us to welcome you once again, please do not hesitate to contact me on the occasion of any future visit.

With kind regards

Reviewed 23 December 2013

I made a reservation to stay in a Junior Suite at the Hotel Elba Estepona for two nights in August 2013 to celebrate my wedding.

When I checked-in, the lady at reception was very welcoming and she upgrading me to a suite. Unfortunately, this was the only good service I received during my stay.

On the morning of my wedding, the air-conditioning in the bedroom was broken, I telephoned reception twice to see if a technician could fix it, but nobody arrived to the bedroom to help.

On the morning of my wedding, my bridesmaid gave me a rose gold Michael Kors watch. While I was at my wedding, this watch got stolen from my suitcase.

My new husband also gave me a gift of a white gold diamond bracelet on the morning of my wedding. As I was walking through the foyer at 4:25 pm, the bracelet went missing. As I was travelling to the church to get married, my bridesmaid phoned reception to see if the bracelet was handed in, but it was never located.

After my wedding, my bridesmaids called to the hotel to try to find the bracelet and the gentleman at reception was very rude and unhelpful to them and refused to allow them to view the CCTV footage. As there was a 20 minute gap from when the bracelet went missing to when we contacted the hotel, and we knew the precise location within the foyer where it went missing, we thought there would be a reasonably good chance of it being located. When I arrived back to the hotel after my wedding, I spent 10 minutes searching around the foyer (in my wedding dress) looking for the bracelet, not one person behind reception offered to help me.

I have called into the hotel three times since I checked out and emailed them twice for an update on the stolen watch and missing bracelet, on one occasion the lady behind reception rolled her eyes at me and puffed. Sadly, I haven't received a response to my emails nor have I received a telephone call or an update from the hotel.

The third time I called to the hotel with a Spanish speaking friend, the hotel agreed to allow me to watch the CCTV footage of the front door. During the 20 minutes when the bracelet went missing, only five or six people walked in or out of the hotel, and I was unable to find out who stole the bracelet as the CCTV camera did not extend to the area within the foyer where it went missing. It is worth pointing out that the hotel only agreed to allow me to see the CCTV footage after I threatened to report the matter to the police.

I have since filed a report with the local police in Spain and hopefully some good news will come out of it.

Overall, my experience at the Hotel Elba in Estepona has been very distressing and is the most upsetting part of my wedding. This is certainly not a five star hotel, and the service levels have been appalling.

I am writing this complaint on trip advisor to warn any guests at the hotel to be careful of their valuable possessions while staying in the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank OrchidOrchid
Elba Estepona E, Director General at Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Tripadvisor Readear

We would like to inform you that this comment was published for the first time last August 2013.

Once denounced these accusations, which violate the good name of the Hotel, with no demonstrable accusations, this was deleted by Tripadvisor.

El Hotel has not received notification to date by the competent ( Police) authorities in this matter.

Following, please find our answer from last August 2013:

Dear Client

As you can understand it is not the responsibility of the hotel if you lost your bracelet in the lobby of the hotel and this has not been found. That day in particular the hotel was at 95% occupancy with an average of 500 customers, so understand please that somebody might have found the bracelet, and unfortunately this persons did not had the ethics of returning it. Once more, this unfortunate accident is not the responsibility of the hotel

A very serious and not provable indictment, is accusing us of having stolen a gold watch without any kind of evidence. As I informed you , this should have been immediately reported to the police for investigation

Regarding the security camera, I agreed you to watch them in my presence and not as you say after threatened to report the matter to the police. Please be informed that It contains confidential information which are protected by law. Once again the inconvenience was that the CCTV camera did not extend the particular area where the bracelet was missing. It is impossible to have cameras that visions every each meter of our property.

We fully understand your discomfort that caused the loss of your bracelet in this important day, your sadness, hopelessness and helplessness, but we do not agree with you, that the hotel and its staff have not have serviced you properly and according to the situation. We realy regret that this has been your perception and that you have left our hotel with a bad impression, which is a shame as we did our very best to satisfy your every need and we are really sorry to know that your expectations were not meet and we wish to apologize for this.

I remain at your entire disposal for any further information you may need.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We have already gone 2x to this hotel, every time for 2 weeks. The rooms are very spacious, the breakfast is very diverse, the personnel is always ready to help out. It is ideally located for golfers, the spa & fitness are well equiped. A car is indeed needed for visiting Marbella or Estepona. Am looking forward to go back ! Minor point is that the majority of the visitors are Spanish and that activities + kindergarten tend to be focussing on them.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Andy R
Elba Estepona E, Director General at Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and the trouble to post your comments about your stay at the Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa.

We are most thankful for constructive reviews as they allow us to enhance our understanding of our guests’ needs and expectations.

It is our hope to welcome you once again in the next future.

Best regards

Hotel Management

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I booked a 4 night break at this hotel for my wife and I during a recent trip to Spain. Whilst the hotel and room were fine the service was average at best culminating in our room not being cleaned and made up on our last night. Would never go back.

Room Tip: Cannot think gof a good reason to book a room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Davemoore2013

Dear Client,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa.

Unfortunately it seems you have left our hotel with a bad impression, which is a shame as we do our very best to satisfy the needs of all our costumers, and we are really sorry to know that your expectations were not meet and we wish to apologize for this.

The rooms are also properly reviewed before check in of guests and during the stay, however if you find the slightest imperfection or anything in need of cleanliness or repair you may advise reception or the Management the same day in oder to make sure it is fixed straightawa.

At Elba Hotels we strive to provide a unique experience to each client, therefore your opinion is very important to us. We have taken all appropriate measures to address the inconveniences you encountered.

Again, thank you for sharing your impressions; it gives us the opportunity to improve and offer you better service on your next visit.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 25 November 2013

This is now the fith year, that we have visited Gran Hotel Elba.
Family orientated and we are always very well looked after by the freindly staff.
It's our kids 2nd home, they just Love it.
Even celebrated our parents 50th Anniversary at the Elba. Truly a five star experience.
We recomend it for any one, the breakfast if fit for a King and there is a choice of restaurants in the surrounding areas such as the Marina, if not the Hotels buffet has a wide variety of dishes for every pallet, you can't go wrong.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Sunil N

Dear Guest,

First of all, we wish to thank you for choosing the Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa for your stay in Costa del Sol.

As well, we appreciate the time you took to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

With comments of guests like you, we have the opportunity to know what really your expectations are, which we always want to fulfil.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back at the Hotel in a near future.

Best regards