“Fantastic”

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Fantastic

This hotel is a wonderful place to come relax and enjoy yourself. Although remote, this I thought was a positive, as the location and tranquility on the beach is second to none. If you wanted hustle and bustle, this can be had with the aid of a short taxi ride.
The staff could not be more friendly and helpful and the pool entertainment just about right. We had a beautiful sea view, right above the pool and could not fault the room in any way, with the service and cleanliness excellent, although some customers weren't to pleased with the noise (music) at the garden side of the hotel. Although we were not affected, I'm sure if you go to any holiday hotel, you'll meet with the same problems.
All round I thought this was a very good hotel and all the amenities just fine with the food very good, especially the grill being very popular.
We were all inclusive and could not complain in the slightest, as the variety in cuisine was very good.
One moan I came across was signing for drinks and food. Going to any decent hotel, you'll expect to sign and have your purchases charged to your room, So no problem on that score for me.
The pools, one main and one small childs have plenty of good quality loungers with sun shades and there are about a dozen or so down on the beach, where access is at the pool through a secure door (room key card required)
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and for with one final comment "We'll be back".

Gracias Gran hotel Elba.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Elba Estepona E, Director General at Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear John D ,

I have just read your wonderful review over our hotel and I just want to thank you for your lovely words. We are very proud of your recognition to our staff.
We thank you for your comments and we hope you will visit us again.

Kind regards,

Juan Manuel Galán

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2014

For any north american tripadvisor readers that are familiar with Mexican/ Carribean larger resorts - the Gran Elba is a version in Spain. Huge rooms, large balconies overlooking the medeterrain sea and a simply outrageously large bathroom. Large, buffet style meals with lots of choice.

The hotel is easy to access off the main highway and provides free parking, and wifi. The location is a short drive into Estepona, were we would have dinner in one of the local outdoor tapas restaurants.

The bed was large and comfortable. At night, the AC cooled the room and it was dark and quiet - perfect for sleeping. There are two pools - one large one for everyone and an enclosed adults only pool on the 2nd floor. The pool would have benefited from a heater. ( or it being turned on). The views are amazing from this resort - lovely views to Gibraltar and Africa. There's a long stretch of walkable beach for miles, but the sea was much too cold to swim in.

If you do visit, we drove to Gibraltar for a day trip -- parked on the Spanish side and walked across the border. Very interesting day trip.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Just came back from an amazing week at Gran Elba, this hotel is excellent, this has been our third stay and every time it keeps getting better.
We have been welcomed by all hotel staff very well, they are all so kind and lovely especially Pepa who took care of all we needed and made us feel at home.
The food was amazing great buffet selection and great food quality especially the fresh fish and meat.
The service was at its best couldn't ask for anything else, rooms very big and clean.
We all enjoyed the pool area, even though the hotel was full the tranquillity was immense and there were always sun beds available. We had a great laugh with the entertainer he is a very funny guy and made our holiday even more enjoyable.
Will defiantly be going back very soon as we all loved it there, all i can say are positive things.
Cant wait for august to see you all again and relax in this amazing hotel the best in the costa del sol.
10/10

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Sarah Parody C
Dear Sarah Parody C ,

First of all we like to thank you from the heart for your loyalty to our hotel over the years. We feel honoured to have guests like you who keep visiting again and again over the years. Your feedback is very valuable to us, as a repeat costumer you can see the changes over the years and we are very glad to read that service was beyond expectation

Once again, thank you for your visit and for your detailed review.
We hope to have the opportunity to see you again soon at the Gran Hotel Eba Estepona, your home away from home.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

At time of writing this is my last evening here. Myself my wife and 7 year old daughter came here for 1 week bed and breakfast. We are in a 'deluxe' sea view room - I will come back to this later in my review.

Where do I start? Well, overall the hotel is ok but not what you the quality you expect for a 5 star resort - it is more like a holiday camp, like a slightly more well to do Butlins.

The staff are friendly overall with in particular Natalia, Jucelia and Teresa as excellent hosts to you.
Kids club is good and the girls there do their best. I would however advise if the children are taken to the garden/beach/pool each staff member should have a walkie talkie so that it avoids as I experienced walking around the entire grounds panic stricken when I was told my daughter (who clearly wasn't) was in the pool ! Not good. Communication where your children are concerned and their exact whereabouts at any given time is of paramount importance to myself as a parent and should be to that of the hotel.

The gym is well equipped and my wife said the spa was good.

Room service food is very poor - don't waste your money on this. The choice is very limited and quality severely lacking. This needs to be addressed immediately.

Breakfast was average. I also feel the quality of the food has suffered due to offering an all-inclusive option. To exemplify this - 'fruit' smoothies were made from a 'syrup' in a plastic squeezy bottle not fresh fruit as you would expect from a hotel let alone a '5' star resort.

The pool was ok. I understand some people may like entertainers by the pool but I didn't sorry. Aqua aerobics over loud speakers, shouting to press gang you into water polo and then an ice cube spitting competition?!? Who on earth thought this was a fun way to relax in a '5' star resort?!? I thought it was disgusting and an awful example to display in front of children. This daily noise is unwelcome and if the management actually look at the faces of the majority of the guests you'll see what I mean. They need to realise this is mainly a family/older couple venue not an 18-30 holiday park !

Evening entertainment - not a fan but I will say the lady that sang Thursday 10th July was good. The man who sang tonight (11th July) was just so 'cheesy' and looked incredibly bored. He also needs to be told turning the AMP volume so high his audience may become deaf doesn't counteract the fact he is not a good singer. I know this is very subjective but given the very prompt thinning out of guests in the garden where he was 'performing', it seems the majority concurred !To top off the performance tonight after 25 minutes waiting for 2 Irish coffees, after having to walk 2 flights of stairs when I was told they could not make this for me outside ( could have maybe organised this for me perhaps?) I gave up and went to bed.

The room a 'deluxe' sea view room had a sea view but the overriding view was of part of the hotel - room 516. The room decor was ok. It would have been nice however that the repairs needed to be done had been completed before we arrived not during our stay. I have never been in a hotel room so much when a maintenance chap has been there working - patio door handle hanging off and door frame hanging off and door handle to get into the room broken. Not impressed sorry. Some coffee/tea facilities in the room would also be welcome rather than having to phone room service. Sorry when I mean room service the button on the phone in the room denoting this didn't work so I had to ring reception then wait to be put through to room service which sorry but was slow.

So to the management if you really want this to stand out as a 5 star hotel

1. Get rid of the pool entertainment intrusion every day, all day ,4-5 times per day !
2. Revamp your room service menu it is abysmal
3. If you must have evening entertainment some quality checking of this is needed
4. Tea/coffee facilities in the room
5. Food needs improving it is sub standard for a 5 star resort
6. Rather than being asked are you all-inclusive, half board or bed and breakfast every time you ordered something, perhaps maybe just taking the room number may be sufficient?!

This hotel doesn't make you feel special. It is trying to cram in too many people, enticing individuals with all-inclusive options and by this token has lost it's sense of 5 star quality. However if you aren't fussed about food quality, don't like relaxing by the pool, love pub singers and just want to drink yourself senseless every night it's definitely for you.

Sorry if the management don't agree with my review however I have been fortunate to experience a variety of high end resorts across the globe and this comes nowhere close. It could but only if they focus on QUALITY not QUANTITY.

Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Jonathan L
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to say thank you for taking the time to publish a review on your recent stay with us.
We are happy to read that you particulary liked our friendly staff and the way our general areas are always kept in inmaculate shape.
On the other hand we are very sorry to read that not every aspect of your holiday was to your entire satisfaction.
We work very hard in order to achieve the hightest costumer satisfaction and we always welcome any sort of feedback as it helps us to improve our services and take neccesary measures wherever required.
However we do not agree on some of your comments , service of our theme restaurants, the great variety of our buffet, the excellent quality of all our 1º class brands, the atmosphere, the live music, the beautiful setting and the direct sea view. This is what our hotel is all about: it’s a special place with a unique charm and this is why we can count many repeat costumers amongst our clientele. You will find many of them also commenting here on Tripadvisor and we hope that travellers are reading different opinions to make themselves a better idea.
The hotel entertainment is also in line with our establishment, we have live musicians such as pianoplayers, guitarist, a violinist and yes, we are in Spain and we do love Flamenco. it is an essential part of our culture and tradition and we think it is simply beautiful to watch, so we wanted to share it with our guests.
Our public relations team is at the entrance during the entire duration of service, receiving you with a friendly smile, asking you if you had a nice day, offering help wherever it is required.
You have also commented on our management we are constantly reviewing all areas of the hotel and always greet all guests we meet on our way. At least one member of the management is always present in the hotel and we are approachable at all times and open to communication should there be the slightest reason for a complaint.
It would be great if I had the chance to meet you personally sometime in the future. I am sure we could then have an interesting exchange of impressions about the Gran Hotel Elba Estepona, hopefully before your departure.
Finally we apologize sincerely if we didn’t fully live up to your expectations, we will try even harder next time in order to achieve that you leave our hotel 100% satisfied on everything.

We wish you all the Best,

Gran Hotel Elba Estepona*****
Ireland
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed here (2 adults,1 teenager and 1 x 7 year old) for 10 days at the end of June and really enjoyed ourselves. Our room was spacious, nicely decorated and the view over the garden and sea was a little piece of heaven. Some guests referred to noise but the area where we slept was very quiet. The pool area is lovely with a good quantity of sun loungers and towels but I should point out that while the hotel was busy it wasn't at full capacity. My son enjoyed the kids club while the rest of us either used the pool, the Gym (not air conditioned) or the Spa. We went half board and found both the breakfast and evening meal quite acceptable, not repetitive and very enjoyable, the Head Chef was always on hand to discuss the various options and was a very pleasant person. We had a hire car (Malaga Car - recommended , just across the road from the airport) which I would recommend as the hotel it about ten minutes from Estepona and the road into town is not suitable for walking. All things considered I hope to return to this hotel. The two areas that I found slightly annoying were in the dining room where tables were cleared almost before you had finished, on different occasions I had to tell the waiter to leave the plate and with Spa treatments where I felt the therapists could have been better. In general the staff were polite but did not give the impression that they loved their job (cleaning staff were the exception). If the staff smiled more this hotel would be almost perfect!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank A 'TA' Member
Elba Estepona E, Director General at Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear A 'TA' Member ,

thank you so much for your evaluation of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are very glad you liked the resort and that you found it to be very relaxing and with beautiful views.

Thank you once again for sharing your personal experience with the general public and for your kind recommendation.

We look forward to see you again anytime!

Warm regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Location... Suites us as we have a car but if you don't you will need to rely on taxies as quite far from the Center

Rooms: see my pictures .. Very nicely decorated with nice bathrooms but they don't have tea/coffee making facilities

There is a lovely entertainment happening on some days till 1 am ... Lovely Flamenco and singing ... Not so lovely if your balcony overlooking that area and you want to sleep...we moved as soon as we found out about this on check in and enjoyed flamenco till 11.30 :)

Breakfast left us with mixed feelings... Lovely fruit, freshly cooked omelettes ... Spanish tortilla was rock hard and it was sitting there for a long time ... Baked beans tasted like they were off (I am not exaggerating)
I told a few people in the restaurant and the Reception manager promised to make a note after I had pleasure of speaking to two less interested staff... We paid for a 5 star hotel and certainly do not expect to worry about food quality ...
This is not a bad hotel but I don't feel even give star here .... The lady next door felt unwell after having salmon in the breakfast room ... Clearly this is an issue for the hotel but on a positive note if you stick to cereal and freshly cooked food then you should be fine

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Emil A
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 July 2014

A family holiday which was expensive ,an all inclusive. Room was the highlight spacious decoratively modern and clean. Food was good. Staff were pleasant but service was the major downfall. The hotel wasn't unusually busy at all though to get a drink from any bar staff took over twenty minutes. Every time you ordered you had to sign for it. Children's club was only average. There was no proper evening entertainment. This was the first hotel that refuses to provide a courtesy room for even an hour to people with children.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family