“Great views, nice ambience”

Le Vela Azul - Chiringuito
Ranked #369 of 494 Restaurants in Estepona
Cuisines: Spanish, International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Open to the public. On the beach outside the Marriott Playa Andaluza and El Presidente apartments. Excellent food, location and ambience. A wonderful hidden treasure.
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Went for dinner, we knew the place from a prior visit to Costa del Sol previous year. It is located on the seafront, right outside the Marriot Playa Andaluza, so attracts a lot of clients from within the Marriot residents, who are probably bored of hotel style food or fed up paying Marriot prices. Ambience was nice, views were beautiful, service was good as well. Food was a bit of a disappointment, one dish we had was the sardines which seemed overpriced for what the dish offered. Desert was again a disappointment, nothing cooked/ prepared, just supermarket products (literally): off the shelf ice creams, mousse, etc. Spent c €50 for the 2 of us, for 2 mains and one desert to share and without any sort of expensive drinks (just San Miguel), and on the Costa del Sol there are many other places that offer much better tastier / flavoursome food within this budget.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

The location is lovely being right on the beach. This is not Michelin starred cooking but good quality simple food. The pizzas and salads are fantastic and there service is always excellent. Great for children who get a main course a drink and an ice cream for 10 euro. They like it which takes the pressure off the parents who can relax and enjoy the ambiance. Our kids had a mixture of carbonara and pizza. I had a great chicken salad and the blonde general had a pizza also. Plenty to choose from on the menu including fresh seafood but we were after something soothing after a long day travelling. Beautiful sitting listening to the waves lap the shore.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

10 euro hamburgers, basic beach fare. Ok for a lunch, but I wouldn't want dinner there. Just down the beach from the Marriott Playa Andaluza, so it's handy if you are staying at the resort.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

I just read a negative review of the Vela Azul from the exact same night that we were there on May 7. I have trouble believing we were at the same establishment because our experience was absolutely fantastic. Full view of 3 countries (Spain, Gibraltar, and Morocco) as well as the Mediterranean Sea at your footsteps. Our bill was $61 euro (which, by the way, included an appetizer, two entrees, 2 desserts and drinks), so when we paid cash with a $100 euro bill, the owner pulled 2 twenties out of the till and told us to come back another time if we were really concerned about paying him the extra euro and/or a tip! Food was great, management was more than accommodating, and location/atmosphere was off the charts stunning. If you want 5 star, go some place else and pay $100 euro for a couple of dinners. If you want 4.9 star, stop by and see for yourself.

And, yes, we did go back (today, May 9). There were at least 3 other couples in there tonight that were also dining there on May 7. Seems to me their dining experience on May 7 was also a good one if they were willing to go back 2 nights later as we did. One last thing - the owner still refused to take that one euro from us, or any tip for the two nights that we dined there.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

With a location comfortably close to the Marriot Resort, this restaurant seems the ideal pick for visitors there. Based on the 2 other reviews, we (a family of 6, including 2 kids) decided to go. Unfortunately, our experience was anything but ideal. The owner (I think) greeted us as we entered the door, and seemed friendly. The rest of the staff seemed very disengaged throughout the meal. The food experience was anything but standard:

First off, my brother's spaghetti bolognese came with cold pasta. Not lukewarm, cold. He sent it back, and the whole dish (same plate) quickly came back suddenly very warm. My grilled salmon was old and inedible. It wasn't just of sub-standard quality, I'm sure it was once ok, but it tasted remarkably like the salmon I've sometimes left in my freezer a bit too long, complete with freezeburns and everything. I had 2 of the others confirm it was simply not good. I was offered an exchange for something else, and selected the fish-burger. This was actually rather good, though parts of the salad left something to want, particularly the tomato-wedge that had clearly been stored in the fridge for 1-2 days and then reused. It's ok to store food and reuse it, it's not ok when the guest can tell. Most of our drinks were very close to (but not over) their expiry date, so piecing everything together, we came to the conclusion the place probably didn't sell all of last years' store, so they probably decided to reuse. My dad's lasagna was good, and his wife's pasta with salmon-pesto sauce also good, though we suspect the same salmon probably went into making that.

The kids had the children's menu, which for €10 included chicken nuggets, drink, and a 3-scoop vanilla, strawberry and chocolate icecream. At the end of our meal, the owner came with a plate of rather cheap-looking soda-icecream, and said 'this is the ice menu'. The kids happened to love it, as it was some of their favorite ice-cream, but it definitely wasn't the value of the 3-scoop ice cream on the menu.

Me and my brother tried a dessert each - it was all ready-made from (I think) Frigo, so we thought we couldn't go wrong. My coconut ice cream was still good, but bore the unmistakeable crystalized signs of having been stored too long in the freezer.

Our experience with the place was not good, and 'poor' is a kind grade. I happen to believe the place could become good, if they decided to scrap old produce, and only use fresh stuff. The decoration and arrangement on the plates were nice, and the menu quite ok. We probably did order some of the more unusual stuff on the menu, so my advice would be to stay with pizza and burgers, or go for drinks. The place itself has potential, but needs to greatly improve their standards.

1  Thank raabjerg