Hostal Larios
Ranked #36 of 151 Speciality Lodging in Malaga
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Interesting that so many people complain of this place "losing" reservations and then moving people to a lesser location. My experience was the opposite. I got the room I booked online, but then whenI wanted to leave a day early it was pointed out to me, not only verbally, but with imperious finger showing me the fine print of my online contract, that I was obligated to give 24 hours notice. (If I had booked by phone, she said checking out early would be no problem.) Do these people not understand the importance of customer relations? I vacated the room by 10 a.m. and left my bags to go tour the city. When I returned, they still wanted their 30 euros for the room that I vacated. I'm lucky they didn't hold my bags hostage. . . The shared bathrooms were spotlessly clean. However, there was construction of some sort going on in the building's lobby three floors down--and the resulting gray dust covered things in my room with a thin film. Reason enough to check out. And my room was the tiniest I've seen in eight weeks of touring in five countries.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank LosAngelesTraveler89

Reviewed 13 April 2012

Very clean and nice hostal close to all the historical monuments. Are able to reach from train and bus station with city bus. Lots of wonderful restaurants near by. A little noisy at night, but not too bad.

Room Tip: Try to get one away from the street side
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2011

As a solo traveler I usually stay in hostels, but this hotel is right on the main pedestrian street leading to the harbor promenade, all the shops, restaurants and sights. I was in a single bed room with the bathroom down the hall, no phone service, but did have an elevator and the security was good. Taxi to the train/bus station is only $5 and Malaga makes a good hub for day trips to Granada and Seville and a good starting point for tours to Morocco.
Some of the staff spoke English, but there was a woman behind the desk sometimes who did not speak any.
I reserved for 2 nights, but then asked for a better rate to extend for several more nights upon my return and was promised a good rate, but when I got back, they did not have it documented and so I did not get it.
The room is extremely small but a a solo traveler it worked out ok for me just because of
the location and everyone is outside until late at night. Great people watching on the streets of Malaga.

Room Tip: Ask for a better rate to extend if you want but get it in writing. Good for older solo travellers w...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2011

clean rooms but small,cheap and in the centre of malaga great location!!!!!!!.good for the money that you have to pay...

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 March 2011

We booked this hostel because it was highly recommended by Lonely Planet but we then received an e-mail saying that we were moved to their sister hotel because they did not have space for us. We initially went to Hostal Larios (to find out where to go from there) which is located on a very central street in Malaga and is beautifully decorated. We then walked to where we would actually be staying, which lacked the same charm and definitely disappointed in terms of cleanliness. I wouldn't recommend booking this hostel because even if it goes through initially, you'll most likely get moved just like we did.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank meeshy9842
Reviewed 28 February 2011

This is truly a wonderful location there are many 5 star hotels around hostel larios. 50 e for one night 2 people. We walked by at 8pm needing a room and it was available. Seperate bathroom but it was very clean. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 27 February 2011

It appears my experience with this place was similar to others. We booked online using Lonely Planet and quickly got an e-mail saying that the Hostal Larios was full...but they moved us to their sister hotel (1 star Hotel Castillo Guerrero) for no additional cost. As you might notice in my review on that Hotel's page, it was not a pleasant stay. Seems like this is a common experience. Definitely go to the Picasso Museum, go to BOTH castles, do the 4 hour Bike Tour (malagebiketours.eu), and eat at Tapeo de Cervantes (one of my best meals ever). Great trip, Malaga is great.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple