“Comfortable and friendly guest house close to Málaga centre”

Villa Alicia Guest House
Ranked #8 of 36 Malaga B&B and Inns
Marbella, Andalucia, Spain
“Comfortable and friendly guest house close to Málaga centre”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

This is the second time we've visited this charming villa 20 minutes walk from the centre of Málaga. The rooms are comfortable well cleaned. We have travelled extensively in Andalucia and really enjoy the laid back vibe of this cool little guest house. We'll be back soon.

Room Tip: Chill out and get into the Málaga vibe....you'll get parked eventually.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Korean first
west vancouver
Reviewed 18 April 2013

My husband and I are in Spain for 5 weeks and we have mostly been travelling by bus but we decided for one week when we were in the Malaga, Costa del Sol and Ronda area we would hire a car. When I was booking our accommodations in Malaga, I asked particularly about what parking would be available at the Villa Alicia. I was told that there was plenty of street parking and that is was very safe and that the Guest House was very easy to find. Neither turned out to be true. We were arriving from Granada and the only information we received was to find Plaza de Merced and then drive toward Plaza de la Victoria. There was no other information. We were not told about needing to come to the city center, about the tunnel or anything else that would have been helpful. I phoned the Guest House to ask for directions when we arrived and weren't sure where to go and was told that they didn't know where we were (I said we were opposite the Stadium) but they couldn't help.

Eventually, with a lot of other help, we found the Guest House. There was NO street parking and our host was not present. Her cleaning woman was, but she did not speak any English. Fortunately, another guest had arrived and she was able to translate. When I asked about parking I was told that the only parking available was several blocks away and was unsupervised. We have a rental car and the reason I booked Villa Alicia was because I was assured there was safe, local parking.

Our host was supposed to return by 5 pm so we decided not to book in until we had had an opportunity to talk with her about the parking issue. She could not have been less helpful. She maintained that she had never said there was parking available, that is was not assured. When I said I had only booked with her because of her assurance about parking she said I could leave any time I liked but if I didn't pay she would call the police. So, I said "Call the police!" but of course she didn't
She said I was being unreasonable in expecting safe parking and that she had never suggested that was available and that she would certainly not refund my deposit.

When I said I would be posting on Trip Advisor, she said "Go ahead. I will just say that you never stayed here!" And then said "Get out of my house!" And, in fact, we never did stay there

So, beware! This is not a woman who stands behind her promises.

When we arrived, I asked to look at the room we had booked and again I was disappointed. The room was very small, the bathroom was miniscule and the bed, when I tried it, was lumpy.

We had just come from Granada where we stayed at Hostal Rodri for 45 Euros per night and it was absolutely wonderful. We have found another place to stay in Malaga and we would suggest you do the same

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank onthego32
VILLALICIA, Gerente at Villa Alicia Guest House, responded to this review, 20 April 2013
Dear Madam:
We are sorry for your disappointment with our hostel. Answering I will not change that but I will try to clarify certain misunderstandings.
About your dificulties to find our hostel, you made your reservation directly with our website so you had available both explanations, one to drive to the hostel and you ahve also a location map. Plaza de la Merced is one of the most important Squares in Málaga and from the Hostel to that square there are 950 meters (measured on the map of google), walking is 11 minutes driving less than four minutes, Victoria Street is 600 meters. You will understand it is very difficult for us to indicate how to come if you were not able to know where you were and indicate this to us.
In regard to parking , you had the information you needed on our website, we haven´t Parking service, we explain you can park "on the street" (we never say otherwise, or on the web, or directly) and "the street "is safe, we mean, there are no thefts, but even that can always be subjective, the truth is this a very safe area.
Finally , the room you had measures 14,5 M2 (including the bathroom, 12,5M2 room+2M2 bathroom), is a room with a sunny window overlooking the main facade, you also had access to the photos on our website, and sure the room is not little, and it is not my opinion, it is a quiestion of square meters.
Although in our opinion the hostel is not responsible for the issues I've mentioned and you left without paying at least the first night of the three that you had booked you threatened to write a fierce review on tripadvisor as you has finally made
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 March 2013

The hotel is located just 10/15 minutes from city center in a quiet residential area.
The girls at reception are very nice and helpful, they gave us good advices how to visit the city and where to eat (for example the Pedregalejo, the perfect place to have good fish in Malaga).
Once we arrived we were proposed a room upgrade to the top floor double room with a wonderful view of Malaga for a very good price (of course we got it).
It’s possible to have good breakfast for a reasonable price.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed in the room with a terrace and would recommend to couples who want to sit in peace and watch the sunset. The guest-house is tastefully decorated and very clean. Staff are friendly but some do not speak English. There are a fair few steps to climb so not idea for those with mobility problems. In terms of location is is only 10 mins walk into the town (past some lovely cake shops), 20 mins slow pace walk up the hill to see the castle and the taxi rank is about 5 mins. We would return again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, England
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Villa Alicia is a lovely funky guesthouse. Its about a 10 min walk downhill from the historical centre in Malaga so the location is great. The staff are really lovely and helpful with really good English. As the building is old with high ceilings, you might need ear plugs if sensitive to noise as the sound travels in the building. Its a super place and would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2012

Great stay, very good value for price. Within a nice walking distance from the centre of Malaga to see all the historic attractions, but away from the huzz and buzz, so we did get lovely nights of sleep. The house is beautiful and the rooms simple but nicely decorated, will well you need, a cosy and clean bed,a chair and a table to write postcards from, a night lamp to read, and lovely big window to key the sun and fresh air in.
The facilities,kitchen and bathroom are very clean, and the places to seat to eat a dinner are just what's needed, clean and comfy. Esther, the manager, has been very kind and a great host, thanks!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Porvoo, Finland
Reviewed 17 December 2012

We spent two lovely weeks in Villa Alicia Nov.-Dec.2012. It is a privilidge to be able to enjoy the atmosphere of the past times in that old town villa. It is a great cultural achievement what the owner does in order to maintain this valuable old building. The street and the whole neighbourhood offered many other old villas us to admire. We had two beautifully decorated rooms and everything was very clean and worked very well, also the kitchen.The staff is splendid and very helpful. Thank you very much, Esther and Nur, for taking so good care of us! S&L

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends