“Most rude waitstaff we've ever encountered”
Review of Pepa y Pepe

Pepa y Pepe
Ranked #1,612 of 2,237 Restaurants in Malaga
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Centro
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stopped in for lunch today to order several tapas. The waitress came to get our drink order and I ordered two glasses of water (not a bottle). The waitress had mentioned if I wanted a bottle and I said I wanted tap water but insisted she could not give me tap water - even though we knew that was a complete lie. She mentioned that they could only sell us bottled water. Nevertheless, she gave us glasses of water.

After that encounter, that waitress completely ignored us for the rest of our stay and we had to flag the manager down. He wasn't pleasant either and gave us an attitude. The food was moderate and slightly on the salty side. During the meal, we needed a refill on water and the manager had mentioned in a snarky voice if he should bring out the hose to fill up our water - giving us even more of an attitude.

To top it all off, while we were paying, they didn't let us pay with our credit card even though we knew that they had a credit card machine. Just wanting to get out of there, we ended up paying in cash. After living in Spain for six months and numerous vacations here, this has been the WORST customer service I have ever received.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,313)

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I had the choice to eat in this restaurant during a short holiday in Malaga; well I have to say their "fritura" was one of the best I have ever eaten in my life, beer and tinto de verano were excellent and very cheap. We tried many tapas and they were delicious, so we decided to eat there even the remaining evenings. The waiters and were very nice, helpful and absolutely kind; if you are looking for a good place in Malaga, then try Pepa Y Pepe!

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

The most salty food I've ever tried. I was very hungry so I ate it, but I will never visit them again.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Having just arrivrd in Malaga, stopped here for a beer and some food. Worst food and service I have experienced in as long as I remember. Food was cheap, but it was complete rubbish. The apparent boss stood and watched a grim surly waiter work - clearing tables whilst ignoring us. Bad start to our break, so things can only get better- we hope!

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

The only two items this restaurant's kitchen possesses is a deep fat fryer and a micro wave. Maybe a fridge to keep the tubs of pre bought salad.

But that's just guessing ... What I do know is that this restaurant provided us with the worst culinary experience during our holiday here. My wife has lived here some time ago and I travel in a weekly bases for work. Therefore we know how it should be but also where you sometimes have to shrug your shoulders and say "better luck next time". However this was so bad that I actually felt compelled to write a review.

We ordered the meatballs in tomatoes sauce (which was not identifiable as meat and clearly microwaved), we also had the Russian salad (which came out of a tub and was so greasy that crude oil would be considered the lean option), patatas bravas (which were fries cut in half with cocktail sauce laced over them). The service is also uninterested and not friendly, don't expect any smiles.

This is clearly a tourist trap now, apparently, back in the day, this was the place where locals met up before going out. Not anymore, there's a bored girl in front of the terrace slapping a menu in passers by's faces and waiters who clearly don't want to be there.

All in all this is as bad as it comes, it's not cheaper than a cozy small tapas bar in one of the side streets and you'll definitely have better food and atmosphere there. We tried it out "for old times sake" but will never go there again. Spend your money somewhere else.

1  Thank HotelGuy76