“Not the best but not bad”

Oasis Backpackers' Hostel Malaga
Ranked #23 of 144 Speciality Lodging in Malaga
Perugia, Umbria, Italy
“Not the best but not bad”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Like the lady below said, they do switch beds on you without notice but the staff is actually really nice! They didn't have any maps when we went but definitely take the walking tour with the Canadian girl, I'm so sad I don't remember her name. She's very informative and gives great tips on places to eat/go. Malaga isn't that bad to get around so you don't need a bus route to get anywhere unless you want to go to the beach. The breakfast was a lot less than I was expecting. I'd stay here again, easy to meet people.

Room Tip: The beds were super cumfy but only downside is there's only one bathroom in the six bed doorms.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Reviewed 9 May 2012

This was by far the worst hostel i´ve ever stayed at. Upon arriving, (around 15:45) i was asked told i´d have to wait to check in because the receptionist´s shift was ending in 15 minutes and she didn´t want to do any more check ins, so while i waited i watched her stand around. The e-mail i received mentioned a promotion where if you like their page on facebook, you´d get a free drink or a room upgrade. When I asked, they looked at me like i was from Mars and said oh yeah, that´s old. We should really take that off the e-mail. You think? The hostel was loud. Someone was snoring like a freight train. When I got back at night, SOMEONE WAS SLEEPING IN MY BED!!!!! (apparently very typical of this hostel). The staff was everything but helpful! Very rude, and didn´t even know bus info!

Room Tip: don´t book with this hostel
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank travelcrazy612
Luisa0001, General Manager at Oasis Backpackers' Hostel Malaga, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Hi there

thanks for letting us know you opinion. We like to be proud of our staff members and they are carefully selected, so we’ll take your comments very much into consideration as we try to fix these problems. Things like this should never happen, and we'll do our best to make sure that this remains an isolated incident.
Thank you again for letting us know and if you ever dare to stay with us again, we would like to invite you.

Thanks again, your Oasis Staff Malaga
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I was traveling in a group of 4 and we booked a private, 4 person room. It was HUGE! The place seemed new, clean and the facilities were nice. The breakfast was about what you can expect from a hostel - toast & cereal. The location of the hostel was perfect, and the rooftop terrace was an added bonus! I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank NancySP_611
Moorhead, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I had a heck of a time finding the place...but I should have followed the directions better! :) Once I arrived, Juan took glorious care of me. I was so ridiculously late it almost wasn't worth going to sleep...but alas, necessary. I was only here for a few hours but it was an excellent few hours. :)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank maltoosius
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Very nice facilities and location. Great pancho tour free walking tour too, our guide was very knowledgeable and it enriched our experience of Malaga.

Room Tip: These rooms are huge, comfortable mattress, balcony, nice decor, and in room bathroom. Top notch ind...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Tromsø, Norway
Reviewed 20 April 2012

The Oasis hostel is located right next to the main shopping street in Malaga, fairly close to the beach and attractions. The hostel seems very new, and each room has a private bathroom (this can get rather dirty though..) We had to wait in line for more than an hour to check in, which gave us a bad first impression, but after that the staff was very helpful and made you feel very welcome. It's easy to get to know people as the hostel has several hang out areas, and arranges several events throughout the week. Theres also a super nice roof terrace with bar on top of the hostel. All in all the oasis is a nice, average plus hostel, and i would probably stay there again if in malaga.

• Stayed April 2012
Ferrara, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Unfortunately I was only stopping over in Malaga for the day and caching a flight the next morning, but I wish that I could've stayed longer now. I arriver way earlier than check in time but there was no problem with leaving my case in their secure cupboard and I was able to make myself a cup of tea and chill out in the comfy common area.
One of the best parts about staying at the Oasis Hostel was that they are affiliated with Pancho walking tours, who offer free guided tours of the city. Michael our guide was very informative and witty and gave us a great overview o the city's culture and history. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
It's in a great location around the corner from some great bars and the main tourist/shopping area. Although I did have a bit of difficulty finding it when I first arrived, I did however manage to find it easily coming to and from different parts of the city
I was only expecting to get a couple of hours sleep (since I was catching an early morning flight) so I didn't mind the interruptions of drunken latecomers arriving in the room - it comes with the territory of sharing a room. But the beds were extremely comfy and clean so i can't complain.
I would definitely return to this hostel and malaga sometime in the near future! THANKS!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo