“Good Meat”
Review of Meson Cantarrana

Meson Cantarrana
Reserve with
Meson Cantarrana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #584 of 2,307 Restaurants in Malaga
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centro
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Good service from the waiter and the steaks were cooked as requested.Starters and wine came together,as with most red wines they don´t always get the temprature right the wine could have been cooler.Considering it was Easter Week we were pleansantly surprised that service and meal was good.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We were a party of four at this restaurant for dinner. In the first instance, the food took an eternity to arrive. When three of the mains did arrive, two of the meals were wrong. We were told this would be corrected - it took a further 15 minutes. The fourth main had still not arrived! It eventually did, but only after the other three of us had completely finished!
I asked for a reduction off the bill. The manager refused on the basis that we had eaten the food! He would not accept that our evening meal had been ruined by such appalling service.
Malaga is a wonderful old city, with many lovely restaurants - just make sure you avoid this one!

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I really felt the urge to write a review, because despite the moderate ratings here, we had a terrible experience in this restaurant. Let’s begin from the start:
When it came to ordering, we thought about having seafood, but the (at that time we still thought nice because honest) waiter advised us against it as it wouldn’t have been fresh on Sunday – instead we should try the speciality of the house, a plate of barbecue mix for 4 persons (shared among 5). As it wasn’t listed on the menu, we asked for the price and after an obviously complicated process of typing something in his electronic ordering device we were told it was around 11-12€ per person or 64€ with drinks and side dishes. However it came different. The plate itself was far from being special. Some sausages were already cold, the “entrecote” was nowhere to be found except for the bill and the side dishes (one of which was an oily unsalted mess of half-raw potatoes) were served when half of the plate was already gone. When in the end it suddenly said 80€ on the bill and we wanted to have an explanation, the waiter became all agitated and unfriendly and of course couldn’t give us a reasonable one for this obvious tourist scam. Never again!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

we had dinner on a Sunday evening. the restaurant was busy enough to have an enticing atmosphere. we were seated quickly on arrival, and menus and drinks followed soon after. staff were immediately very welcoming, and also very obliging when we obviously were unable to order in Spanish (they have the menu in English).

We ordered four full-sized tapas dishes (enough for two moderately hungry people), and pleasingly the dishes appeared one at a time rather than all at once, meaning that we weren't overwhelmed with piles of stuff. the selection of meats was excellent, as were the artichoke hearts. the 'patatas' are in fact chips, but never mind because they came with a very tasty 'bravas' sauce. we also had some grilled seasonal vegetables, which were also very good, if slightly over-salted.

the waiter recommended the house red, which turned out to be delicious. service was attentive without being invasive. when we asked for the bill it arrived within a few mins, which is not always the case in restaurants on the continent (why do they make you wait so long to give them some money?!). We gave a tip of about 10% (rounded up to the nearest convenient number).

Taberna Cantarrana was a very good experience and I recommend it. The restaurant is tucked away down a side street, so you might not find it unless you're looking for it, but it's worth the effort.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I first went to Malaga city in 2011 and loved it so much I've returned many times. I'm now 67 and was holidaying on my own for the first time. The manager and staff at this restaurant made me so welcome I used to spend every evening there - the staff were lovely - the food was very good - the place was very busy with locals queuing outside for a table. NOT NOW!
The ladies in the kitchen who had worked there for years have gone! ALL the staff have changed and some of those had worked there for years! The excellent young chef was sacked more than a year ago and has proved irreplaceable.
I spent two weeks in Malaga over Christmas and New Year and of course my first stop was this restaurant (I couldn't understand the bad reviews!). The manager at least has survived and I considered him a friend. However, the food !!!! Ugh! The first meal was barbequed pork and I couldn't understand why it was cold so I sent it back - on return it wasn't much better though the plate was hot and I then discovered that the pork was completely uncooked!! I like steak underdone but NOT pork! I returned the second night but decided to be cautious and only ordered patatas bravas and a glass of wine. The potatoes had been cooked 2 or 3 times, many were black or discoloured, cold and smothered in ice cold mayonnaise - I left them. The wine measure was minute and the wine had "things" floating in it. I just left but not before being overcharged !!!! What has happened to this once leading restaurant? It was mostly empty when other nearby places were packed - no locals waiting to come in, just one-time tourists. UGH!