“Right in the heart of the city”
Review of Don Curro Hotel

Don Curro Hotel
Ranked #28 of 88 Hotels in Malaga
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Right in the heart of the city”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I have just spent a lovely 4 days in this hotel, it's right in the midst of the main Malaga sights but manages to still be peaceful and welcoming. The reception and all the hotel staff are friendly, very helpful and extremely professional. I have no idea why one visitor said that "reception staff were unfriendly etc", I found them to be the exact opposite but without being gushing (which I would hate), I found them very helpful with e-mail request before my visit as well.. Perhaps people respond to how they are treated by guests, but that I can't comment on. My room request was for a high floor and mine was on the 8th, it had a big balcony and was warm and well equipped. The ready soaped sponge and toiletries were a nice touch and the powerful little hairdryer was a bonus. The room was clean with a comfy bed and very good pillows, I slept well which is unusual for me when away. Breakfast is served in a pleasant room or you can have room service. I found the food to be good with enough to fuel me for a days sightseeing. The street leads one way to the Cathedral and the other way to the main shops etc, it's only a 100yds or so to either area. I had several coffees and a beer in the bar next door to the hotel, a good way to people watch, the lady serving was helpful and chatty. I realise I'm gushing slightly myself but I really can't find anything wrong with this hotel and will certainly return, hopefully this year.

Room Tip: The higher rooms would probably get less street noise
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Zooropia123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Herts, UK
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed at the Don Curro Hotel for 2 nights (15th & 16th Dec) and then again for one night on 4th Jan.
We had requested a high floor room with balcony and got a lovely room on the 5th floor at the front of the hotel for the first stay. We always request a twin room as we have a superking bed at home and don't want to have to sleep in a regular double (4'6"). We usually find that the twin beds are together and that was the case at Don Curro.
There is NO (cool) air conditioning in winter only in summer (but there is warm air if you want it) and it was warm in the room but we propped the balcony door open and everything was fine.
It was a tad noisy but nothing to prevent sleep however for the second stay we requested a quieter balcony room and got 611 overlooking the side street which was much better and the view over the Spanish rooftops was lovely.
The (included) breakfast was ok too....there was a huge bowl of satsumas, that looked like they had just been picked also ham, cheese, hard boiled eggs, bread....there was cooked food but we didn't fancy it....there was also Danish pastries, juices etc.
The staff were pleasant and extremely efficient but not overly friendly.
As already said the location is perfect for all needs, when we arrived, we got the train from the airport for Euro 1.70 each and walked from the station.....very doable.
We would definitely stay here again and recommend it for all travellers, we saw a number of families, seniors and many of these were Spanish so clearly a popular place.

Room Tip: A high room with balcony, the sun is at the front of the hotel in the afternoons which makes the roo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HippyChick55
Dalkeith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Stayed over the Christmas period. Single room, well-equipped and comfortable. Really liked the 'extra' touches like the pre-soaped sponge, fresh every day, in the bathroom. Plenty of coat hangers and clothes space. We didn't eat in the hotel in the evenings, but the breakfasts were excellent. The hotel was very busy with a highly cosmopolitan clientele; all went smoothly.

Room Tip: Ask for an outward-lookiing room. My room looked into a horrid, narrow space with rusting girders...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Budens, Portugal
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My friend and I had a 2 night stay in this hotel which we picked due to 1) It's location and 2) It had parking. We could not fault this hotels location; it is fantastic for shopping, bars, restaurants, harbour actually everything. Friendly helpfull staff who could speak English which was a bonus as we had very little knowledge of Spanish. Upon arrival by car the concierge took my car off to the car park and returned it back to the front door on departure, you could not ask for a better service. Rooms are clean and of adequate size with comfy beds, a mini bar (which you pay for at reception) & a safe, shower pressure very good and water nice and hot. Heating in room was so efficient that we had to turn it down (visit was January, so heating was required). Breakfast (served between 7.30-11.30am) had something for everyone; fruit, fruit juice, cereals, toast, croissants, rolls, selection of cold meats and cheeses, bacon, small Frankfurt type sausages, eggs, yoghurt, coffee & tea. If you fault this selection then I do not know what you would expect. This was my second visit to Malaga (1st stay at Don Curro) and I will certainly pick this hotel for my next visit.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

2 Thank Deb229
Penicuik, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Lovely central hotel close to cathedral and all shops and restaurants staff very helpful little extras parking your car breakfast just enough to set you up for the day! Would go back if we visited Malaga again great value for money beds comfy warm rooms

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Wiltshire
Reviewed 5 January 2014

To reiterate other reviews, the location is perfect and as quiet as you can get whilst right in the historical centre of Malaga. We were pleased with every aspect of the hotel,its staff and our room.Within a short walk are all the attractions, shops, tapas bars and restaurants you could wish for. The city had a fantastic atmosphere overt the New Year with live music in the street and a fun gathering in the Plaza de la Constitution to welcome in the new year. This hotel is perfect for a few days in Malaga. One word of caution is that if you are bringing a car, the way into the hotel is difficult to find and the GPS co-ordinates don't help. You need to drive to the Molina Lario hotel by the cathedral, go into a small slipway and press a button to gain access to Calle Sancha de Lara. Just announce that you are staying at the Don Curro.Then just park in front of the Don Curro and they will park it for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor with a balcony e.g. 611 was ours.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

As everyone has said, the location is ideal for exploring the center of Malaga and the staff is very helpful. We used the valet parking at 14 euros a night and it was very convenient. Rooms were clean and bathrooms were adequate. The entire hotel was nonsmoking which was nice and the room we had (818) was quiet and had great views from the balcony. Based on other tripadvisor reviews, I emailed them in advance for request a specific room and high floor (above 5th) to avoid noise This was a standard room with a double bed. We booked the breakfast with the room and that worked out well. Selections were the same every day but it was adequate to get you powered up to do some sightseeing. I would recommend to the hotel that they should open by 630 or 7 am rather than 730 for breakfast for those of us who are early risers and want to have an early start. We drove to other towns like Sevilla and Granada. We took the high speed AVE train to madrid and the taxi from Don Curro to the malaga main train station was about 8 euros, hotel can call a cab with 5 mins advance notice.

We love driving around the surrounding cities like Seville, Granada and Marbella from malaga (our home base for the Andalusian part of our trip). We had a lot of freedom relative to group tours. My husband and I are large city drivers and rent cars often when vacationing in other countries. Having said that we have some lessons learned -- renting a car in southern Spain favors those who can drive stick shift as there are fewer automatics and they cost much more, also be careful to study the rules for historic city centres like Granada and Malaga where cars are severely restricted and they have many cameras to fine cars that inadvertently wander into those areas. Speeding cameras are also numerous and there are no requirements like in the US of notifying folks that the speed limit is camera enforced. Petrol is also about twice as expensive as in the US. Some of the rentals don't have an obvious "reserve light" so we almost ran out of gas. For us, GPS was a must. We loaded Spain to our Garmin before we left the US because the streets are not well marked and very confusing. The interstates are great but the small city streets are quite narrow so glad we got a compact rental car.

Also if you rent a car, research in advance where you will park the car. Although it may cost up to 2 euros an hour, safer to park in garages rather than on the street as rental cars often have bumper stickers advertising the rental company. Also enter the parking location as a "favorite" on the GPS so you can easily find the garage when you go back.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple