“Take any bad reviews with a pinch of salt, they're being too fussy.”
Review of Hotel Las Vegas

Hotel Las Vegas
Ranked #25 of 89 Hotels in Malaga
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I have read some bad reviews on this hotel, but for the value this is a very decent 3 star hotel which I would recommend to others. The rooms are very spacious and clean. We had an enormous double bed that was comfortable. Towels and bedding changed everyday.
There was plenty of breakfast choice: fruit, cereals, yogurt, bread,rolls,pastries, cold meats and cheese, on three days from five we had scrambled eggs and either beans or mini hotdogs, the other days were cold mackerel (not over keen on those but we weren't left starving).

I had read reviews about unfriendly staff. We tried to speak a bit of our extremely limited spanish and they were always polite and tried to be helpful, that goes for reception dining room and cleaners....perhaps it was just a bit of a language barrier.

The hotel is situated in between a busy back street (that's the front entrance of the hotel, with extremely limited parking on the forecourt and surrounding area) and the main promenade road that takes most of the traffic going between resorts. Because of this the rooms can be noisy, up till quite late at night and early morning. Our room was 2nd floor overlooking the promenade/beach road. Yes it was fairly noisy but at least we had a lovely balcony to sit on and watch the hoards of joggers, exercisers, segwayers, beach lovers etc. If you have a front room all you're going to see is traffic and no view of anything else.

The hotel is about 10-15 mins walk from the historical centre, cathedral, alcazar, parks, port , bull ring and the central place to catch the local buses. These operate a 1.30 euros ticket per person, per ride to pretty much anywhere. A no. 11 bus stops outside the hotel and will take you to this. It's a very regular and reliable service.
This is definitely the better end of Malaga to base yourself.

Room Tip: Ask for a non smoking room overlooking the beach.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank TabbycatCrawley
hlasvegasmalaga, Community Manager at Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Dear costumer,
Thanks for sharing your opinion with us.We like to know that you enjoyed the Hotel Las Vegas. You can follow our news on our Facebook. Hope to see you around here again when visiting Malaga!
Best regards.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Las Vegas

Reviewed 13 March 2013

Very helpful staff, free wifi throughout (although there seem to be some coverage 'holes' in the hotel); nice breakfast buffet. Excellent location and car parking!

Some rooms smell of cigarette smoke; not sure if the hotel can do much about this, as Spain allows smoking in hotel rooms (though not in public areas - weird). On a positive note, the receptionist switched my room immediately when I complained about this.

Location is fabulous. The only reason why we decided to extend our stay. Loved the trip to spain overall but this being the last destination was truly the icing on the cake.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank SmithKay
hlasvegasmalaga, Community Manager at Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2013

Dear customer,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. We love to hear that the Hotel Las Vegas has helped make your vacation end up being perfect. We hope to see you soon. You can follow our news on Facebook.

Regards

Reviewed 26 February 2013

There have been a few unhappy reviewers so I will try to give a level headed idea of our stay at the Las Vegas Malaga. You can see from the score given that I was happy with my stay here. This is a good standard 3* hotel as I expected. Some say you get what you pay for, but this was a marvellous bargain, which made a late winter break very affordable.

We got a hire car from the airport and we were worried about finding the hotel without a Sat Nav. In fact it was the free parking spaces for guests which attracted us to this hotel, as we understood from friends that free parking was tricky in Malaga and that paying for long term overnight car parking could be very expensive. We found the hotel very easily because you can just follow the road that runs along the beach front until you see the Hotel Las Vegas signs, and then turn left and left again to get to the front of the hotel. We arrived at the hotel at a variety of times throughout the day and night, and there was always a parking space available. However, if this is important to you, please bear in mind that this was February, and neither Malaga or the hotel were particularly busy. Our incoming flight was delayed for 2 hours, and so naturally we arrived at the hotel much later than expected. The reception staff were ready and waiting for our arrival. Contrary to what many reviewers have said, we found all of the staff we encountered to be very friendly and efficient. This started upon arrival with the Reception Staff, who checked us in quickly and were very helpful. I do speak a tiny bit of Spanish, so maybe it helped that I was able to say 'Hola' but even if you cannot speak any Spanish, all of the Reception staff we encountered throughout our stay spoke good English.

Our room was a twin room on Floor 3, which is the same floor as Reception, due to the fact that the hotel is built on a hill. Our balcony was at the side of the hotel overlooking the pool. It is noisy, but in our case, we were prepared for this and it did not distract us. It's right at the side of a main road and so it is inevitable you will have traffic noise at all hours of the day and night if you had your door open. However, with the door closed we could not hear any of the traffic noise at night and it was nice to be able to wake up every morning with a view of the sea and the sun streaming through the massive window. Our room was light and spacious, although I do agree that the decor is a little bit dated. The mattresses seemed reasonably new and were very comfortable. The room was painted grey and the furniture (bed side tables, head board, dressing table and chair) seemed to be a painted grey MDF-rattan combination. The furniture was perfectly adequate, functional and clean, but could possibly do with a re-paint. The soft furnishings could probably do with being replaced as well. The bed covers and the tub chair had the same upholstery, and as other reviewers have said, it was a bit stained and clearly was in use before the smoking ban because there were small cigarette burns in it. I think recovering the chairs and making new bed covers from the same fabric would really spruce up these rooms. A lick of paint wouldn't go amiss either.

We loved our bathroom. Unlike many cheaper hotels in the UK, we had a shower over a substantial deep bath. We like to have a shower in the morning and a bath at night and so this was perfect for us. Hot water was plentiful at all times of the day. The shower head was fixed and it blasted water at you pretty fast!! Like all shower curtains, it was a bit flimsy and we managed to get our shower water all over the floor each time but by the end of the week we had got the hang of preventing a soggy floor. The bathroom was on the inside wall of the room backing onto the corridor. This wasn't a problem except for the fact that there was no extractor and there was nowhere for the steam to go. We tended to leave the bathroom door open when we went for breakfast, and we would usually come back to find that the window had condensation trickling down the inside and the room felt really humid. We didn't mind because we would just let in some fresh air whilst we got ready to go out for the day. It's not a complaint, just an observation. There is one of those dreadful 1970's hairdryer/shaver units on the wall in the bathroom, which we never used, as we had brought our own hairdryer. However we plugged our travel kettle in here and used the nearby space to make our drinks. Like most hotels on the continent, they don't embrace the British obsession with drinking tea and coffee in our rooms, and so we took our own kettle and cups, and bought supplies at the nearby supermarket.

A few days after arriving we lost an item of clothing, and discovered it had fallen on the floor in between the 2 beds. It was obvious upon retrieving the item that nobody was cleaning under the beds as there was a good inch of dust sat under each bed. Other than this, the rooms were impeccably clean and so this is the only reason I have not given 5* for cleanliness. We had clean sheets and towels every day, and the bathroom floor was mopped daily as well. The only other cleanliness issue we experienced was that after an unfortunate day of torrential rain, the plastic balcony furniture was not cleaned and it was too dirty to sit on, so we didn't use our balcony much for the remaining day of the holiday.

We were impressed that the hours for breakfast were 7.00 - 10.30 as we are late risers. The late end time for breakfast was great for us. Breakfast was a lovely 3* continental breakfast consisting of cold meats and cheeses, freshly baked bread (sometimes still warm, if you're lucky) with butter, jam, honey or chocolate spread readily available, sweet pastries, yoghurt, fruit & cereal. Some mornings there were little sausages, beans, or fish available. I agree that the fruit juice was too artificial for my liking, but the coffee from the machine was good. The tea bags were a little bit pathetic and I took to using 2 in a small cup to get the desired flavour. I could have chosen from ordinary tea, camomile, mint or honey, as well as there being hot chocolate available. A sign informed us that there would be a small charge if you wanted to take food out of the hotel to eat later, which I think is fair given that there is a supermarket just a few minutes walk away. We only overheard one guest complaining about this during our 1 week stay. many reviewers have said that the breakfast guy was miserable and unfriendly. I wonder if the reviewers ever tried speaking to him? I said 'Hola' or 'Buenos Dias' every morning and he always replied. Also, we would often stroll in at 10.20 and there was never any hint of him being impatient with us or hurrying us along. We were often the last in there and often did not leave the dining area until 10.45 and the staff were never anything other than wonderfully friendly. He would put up the closed sign and pull on the curtains at 10.30, and start tidying away the food. But he never rushed us to finish what we already had, and didn't mind if we wanted one more cup of coffee before we left. So because of this we always made a point of saying 'Gracias' as we left, and he always replied 'Gracias, Hasta Luego' (see you later) with a big smile. Maybe it's because we are not morning people, but we loved the breakfast man! I don't think he spoke any English at all, so I think he appreciated our efforts. So if you think the staff are a bit aloof, try speaking to them, they might just respond!

We made full use of the free wi-fi and were really pleased that this was included in the price. We had no problem accessing the wi-fi with 2 devices, we also had no problems with speed, although our devices did drop the connection occasionally. We found that this was because we were using other applications (Weather/Facebook) rather than the internet application itself and therefore not going via the sign in page. Once we realised this, we went via the sign in page every time for a problem free connection. We had good wi-fi reception in all parts of the hotel including on our balcony, in the dining room, and in the car park. This might not be the case when the hotel is full in the summer, but I can only tell you what I experienced.

On our first night we were treated to a fantastic sound show. Yes, you can hear the couple above you, and those all around you, having sex!! As this was Valentines Day 14th Feb (but unsure if this is an occasion in Spain) and our first night in the hotel we hoped that this was just a one off, plus it was before 11pm and didn't really prevent us from sleeping on this occasion. We are heavy sleepers normally but on our 3rd night, at 3am, we were woken by not one but two couples having sex in neighbouring rooms. It was almost like a competition. On the one hand we listened to someone impersonating Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally, and on the other hand we listened to someone impersonating a pneumatic drill, rather determined to knock a hole in the wall. Imagine our delight when a third couple joined in! Much of the noise was theatric, but having actually slept through an earthquake on a previous holiday to Turkey, please be assured that waking me up was no mean feat. The noise persisted for about 45 minutes. I don't really know what the hotel can do about this!! This can happen in any hotel but here, I really felt like I was part of the action, leading me to believe that the walls are thin and the beds are particularly noisy. Other reviewers have complained about noise from neighbouring rooms; other than practically partaking in someone's most private of moments we didn't find the neighbours too noisy, but the hotel was very quiet. Occasionally, we heard some very loud Spanish voices and once or twice we heard the TV, but normally I would not even mention this in a review; the reason I have mentioned it here is because I wanted to mention Meg Ryan, and other reviewers have really found it to be a big issue.

When we came back after our first day out, we asked for extra pillows at Reception. I don't know the word for pillow in Spanish, but it didn't matter. He had a think, we repeated it a bit slower, he then understood (we have Yorkshire accents) and obligingly produced 2 spare pillows for us. WITH A SMILE! Perhaps this is because we are quite smiley people. A smile is internationally understood regardless of language. A good number of reviewers have said this was an issue for them, but it was not an issue for us. All of the staff were just as friendly! One day I went to ask at Reception about the bus into town and the staff were very helpful, and happy too.

We found bus stops, a petrol station and a supermarket nearby. There were only a handful restaurants to choose from locally and so in the course of a week we tried a couple. People don't tend to speak English in this neighbourhood outside of the hotel so it's a good idea to learn a few words and maybe carry a phrase book to help you read the menu. I believe there is some kind of snack bar in the hotel but I neither saw it or had cause to use it. I imagine this might be more important in the summer months when people are spending time in the pool and garden areas. The hotel has their own website, in English at http://www.hotellasvegasmalaga.com/en/ and I feel that the photos on there are representative of what we have seen and give an accurate impression of the place as a whole. If you're wondering about the weather in February, it was around 20 degrees for most of the week, with 1 day of heavy rain, 10 degrees, and 1 day of baking heat, 30 degrees. If you're thinking of hiring a car, you'll need a confident driver and a decisive navigator, as there aren't many signs and they don't give you much warning.

Finally I wanted to mention the fact that some of the room were being refurbished during our stay. This didn't disturb us as they didn't make any noise until after 11am each day. it did mean that there was a skip in 2 of the parking spaces, but I don't blame them for doing their refurbishment during low season, and the car park was never full. The fact that they are refurbishing a batch of rooms is a positive for me. They are not leaving the hotel to deteriorate and I am confident that they will get round to refurbishing some of the older rooms in good time. I suspect ours was one of the older rooms and found it to be a good 3* standard. I am happy with what I got compared to what I spent as the included breakfast, wi-fi and parking made it an excellent bargain for us.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank sticky11
hlasvegasmalaga, Community Manager at Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Dear customer,

We are grateful for your full review about Hotel Las Vegas Málaga. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our city. We hope to see you soon in our hotel. We invite you to follow us on our Facebook page to find out all our news.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Its located near to the beach, The room is clean and not new. If you need to iron your cloth you need go out near to the hotel.
There is a small parking place in front of the hotel. It's very useful, because its difficult to find a place to park your car on that region.
If you want to have a see view window, you should mentioned in your order.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kamrad

Dear customer,

Thank you very much for your comments. Communication with our customers is very important. We hope to see you soon in Hotel Las Vegas. We invite you to follow us on our Facebook page.

Reviewed 1 February 2013

Constrained to express my disappointment with the unfriendly attitude of Mr. Michael, front desk Executive of Las Vegas during my stay at that Hotel.

It was my first ever visit to Spain (Espana) with my wife and had been looking forward to enjoy our stay at Las Vegas. We are English speaking and due to language constrain, we sought the assistance of Mr. Michael to find out the availability of Taxi for local sight seeing and to know more about places of interest.

He flatly refused to provide any kind of help or assistance. His callous behaviour has discouraged me to stay at Las Vegas in future. I am sharing my unpleasant experience of my stay at Hotel Las Vegas, Malaga.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank SKGSRCC
hlasvegasmalaga, Community Manager at Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

Dear customer,

We will take note of all your feedback. We regret that a little detail don't have allowed you to enjoy your stay with us. We will pass your comments to the appropriate department. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Spent a week here mid January and pleasantly surprised overall in view of some comments. Breakfast was good with excellent fresh bread and loads of pastries for the sweet toothed and a small but perfectly adequate selection of cold meats and fish. Coffee and juice from machine dubious! Recommend taking a travel kettle and supplies.
Hotel was very clean and we found the reception staff extremely helpful. Twice we went to purchase internet access to pre book Alhambra tickets and check in online for flight back and on both occasions the receptionist used the hotel computer to sort out for us and print documents.
Rooms spacious with balcony and table with two chairs. Beds very hard ditto pillows. TV in English limited to Sky News, Eurosport and CNN. Large comfortable lounge on Reception floor with reasonably priced bar and a selection of books if rained in temporarily.

Bus stop outside both ways and very frequent local bus service if needed although walk into town easy, about 15 minutes and level all the way. Across from the back of the hotel is a walk way along the sea for miles with plenty of benches to admire the view and free outdoor gym equipment in various places actually used by the locals.
There are two small restaurants practically next door and a supermarket within 5 minutes walk open to 9.15 pm.
Vegetables hard to find with any restaurant meals so ended up one night in the Happy China restaurant near the harbour devouring stir fry! Excellent meal and one of the cheapest under 25 euros for two with a bottle of house wine.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms if available.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank berrybush
hlasvegasmalaga, Community Manager at Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Dear customer,

Thank you very much for recommending our accommodation for users of Tripadvisor. We love to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We invite you to follow us on Facebook neustra page. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 3 November 2012

Absolutely stunk of cigarettes! Very rude receptionist! I asked if there was a bus to the airport and she replied " I don't know". The television has no English channels. It was cheap at 50 euros but I would rather pay more Han wake up with a headache from smell, traffic noise and no assistance!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Kate H
hlasvegasmalaga, Community Manager at Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

Dear Kate,

We deeply regret that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. We will take note and pass your comments to the appropriate department to continue implementing our attention. If you had a problem with your room could notify the receiving department for that change rooms. Sorry for the inconvenience.