“Just what we needed!”

Ranked #3 of 88 Hotels in Malaga
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Just what we needed!”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Just returned from a 5 night stay in this hotel and cant fault it! Its a perfect location for being right in the centre of what the city has to offer for museums, restaurants, shops and other sight seeing places.We had a standard room that was spacious, clean and comfortable.Ample wardrobe space with free safe and drawers. Lovely large beds and a roomy bathroom - very modern decor. Our room looked over the main street which proved to be great viewing for the annual carnival procession that Malga has in February!! Breakfast was included in our deal through Travel Republic - but it is a continental breakfast, no bacon and eggs etc!!! What we did have was plenty of choice of cereals, fruit juices, ham and cheese, croissants and toast and some fresh fruit and plenty of tea and coffee! Breakfast was served until 12 midday! It was easy to find having caught the airport bus to central Malaga (2 euros each!) and got off the bus just before the start of the park. Cross the road and the hotel is at the top of the precincted street!

Room Tip: Suites look fantastic but the standard ones are excellent and comparable with deluxe rooms that we h...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chooseygirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Benitachell, Spain
Reviewed 11 January 2012

First time at a Room Mate Hotel but not the last. We stayed for 2 nights just before the Spanish "3 Kings" celebrations (6th January). Had the balcony room on the main photo on 3rd floor - perfect. Good size and overlooking the plaza which was packed with people every night (but not too late). View from this balcony superb. Hotel location right in city centre and could not be better...we went by car and parking is at sister hotel "Room Mate Lola" but only short walk or taxi away and secure underground parking.
The hotel is clean and well maintained. The staff could not do enough to help and genuinely seemed interested unlike some other hotels. All in all probably the best place to stay in the centre of this wonderfull city.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and great view over the square. Quiet with good sound insulation.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Colorado
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Our first visit to Malaga (during the 3 Kings Festival), we stayed at this hotel for the price and reviews...less then 5 mins from train station (5€ taxi ride) Early/Late checkout, very close to everything. Hotel & room very clean, WIFI was excellent. Enjoy the Vino & TAPAS down the street from the hotel at: La Barra and also Bar Orellana (I think I left my liver there) food was outstanding. I would stay at this hotel again. RHINO

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Alcester
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We don't think it is just because it was the season of goodwill when we stayed there, but this hotel gave us the feel-good factor at every turn. It has art deco style, a perfect location, friendly and helpful staff and a very spacious and comfortable room.

The hotel is on the corner of Constitution Square (which was given over to Christmas events when we were there) and the main pedestrian-only shopping street. Since it was the season of goodwill we treated ourselves to a junior suite which had floor to ceiling windows overlooking both the square and the street so we had a grandstand view of the children's orchestra one night and the brass band the next, and of the passing parade, the living statues and the revellers in the shopping street. Our room was well equipped, with a mini-bar fridge, air con, room safe and a super-luxurious king--size bed. The bathroom was well stocked with a jacuzzi bath and and an over-the-bath shower. We only ate breakfast in the hotel - a selection of cold cuts, pastries and breads but everything was constantly refreshed and it was served till midday!
Only one problem - if you arrive by taxi get the driver to drop you in the Square. Ours dropped us at the port end of the shopping street and we had to drag our bags quite a way.

Room Tip: Splash out on a Junior Suite. They don't break the bank and room 203 is a huge corner room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Mount Dora, Florida
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We stayed for 5 nights, beginning Nov 2, 2011, prior to a transatlantic cruise. I sure got lucky here and picked the best hotel possible. I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. We had a junior suite which was much larger than I expected. Room 203 on the 3rd floor had a wonderful view of the plaza and the main street. Even with 3 balconies, we never had a noise problem. We had room to spread out, a huge, comfortable, king size bed, a bottle of free water, free welcome drinks. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

The only real drawback here is the very bad wifi service. It doesn't work well anywhere in the hotel. At least it was free. For Europeans who can use their cell phone plan it doesn't matter. For American's who want to stay in touch, email will work - but not with any pictures or video. It is painfully slow and attachments just don't go at all. Staff explained to me that their system can't even be reset as it's router is in Barcelona. I had need of better service so they were going to set me up to use Room Mate Lola's system which is a traditional, on premises system. But we were able to find a local computer repair store a block away that had wifi for a fee that worked flawlessly. It's just to the left across the street and down a narrow alley - I don't remember the name.

We enjoyed the free breakfast that came with out room. It had a nice variety with a daily special each day. There were plenty of hot drink options along with a coffee/cappuccino maker on demand which made great coffee. The bar off the lobby never got crowded. It would have been fun if it were more heavily used. There are abundant choices of dining options in the immediate area.

I'd love to go back to Malaga again one day and I'd stay here again if I got as great a deal as I did this time. We found the hotel overall clean, friendly and fun.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mommabean
West Sussex
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We went for a week end to Malaga to get some sun and I booked Room Mate Larios after we stayed in the one in Madrid (which was also very good). I ended up booking the Junior suite (212) with an excellent view on the street (3 windows) for the xmas lights and bands/clowns/crowd!

Room was of very high standard, staff were very helpful, all in all a very good place to stay.

I would definitely go back there (in room 212).

Room Tip: Room 212 for me was the one. You don't get to hear the street much with the double glazing, but...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Stayed here for a long weekend from 4-7 Nov. I had previously been to Malaga staying at the Molina Lario but I'm glad I booked this hotel this time around, I thought it was good value for money. First impression was very positive, I was allowed an early check-in arriving at 11.30am which was perfect because I had an early morning flight from London and very little sleep the night before and really needed a "siesta". I got to my room on the 2nd floor which was very cosy and comfortable with a small balcony overlooking the very lively Plaza de la Constitucion (was even treated to a display of drunken naked male students jumping the in the fountain late Saturday night! :-). My room was very clean and had tasteful modern decor and tall windows with thick double-layer curtains and double-glazing to keep any light and noise out (although you do get some noise from the plaza late at night so you may want to take earplugs just in case). The bed was very comfy with a firm mattress, just how I like it. It took me a while to figure out how the lamps worked and whereas I'm all for energy-saving light bulbs the lighting in the room was a bit too dim. There was a big flat-screen TV but unfortunately no foreign channels whatsoever. It would've been good to have at least one or two channels in English, because I spent quite a bit of time in my room and could've done with some entertainment at times. The location of the hotel is excellent, it's about a 5 minute walk from the bus stop (take the city bus from the airport which is only 2 euros and get off at Alameda Principal near the Paseo del Parque; a taxi will set you back nearly 20 euros) and minutes from shops and tapas bars and the Carmen Thyssen museum which I recommend if you're into art. The breakfast buffet is small but very good. And you can get decent freshly-ground coffee as well which is the one thing I need in the morning so I was happy! There's a choice of 3 fruit juices (orange, peach &pineapple) and water, white & brown toast, white & brown mini baguettes with 2 different cheeses and cooked ham & turkey and jams and honey, 3 different cereals, fresh fruit, rather lovely fluffy mini ring donuts (yum!), a tortilla, some cake and fresh mini pain au chocolat and yoghurt. I liked the breakfast room with the panoramic views of the city center, this was also the bar during the day/evening and it was nice to sit there and relax over a glass of wine after sightseeing. I wasn't sure about the muzak that was played in the bar. I would love it if they played some Spanish music as well to really make you feel like you're in Spain/Andalucia but that's just personal preference. I came over to Malaga especially for a concert this time so I'm quite passionate about my music. Shame the upstairs bar wasn't open during my stay, would've loved to have checked it out. I didn't have too much interaction with the staff. They were mostly softly spoken and just got on with their job. The short guy who serves in the bar during the day is very friendly and the young chap who checked me out early Monday morning was a sweetie and more chatty than the other young guy who was on reception during the day/evening. But, please teach your Saturday night staff (young blonde fellow) how to make tea properly!! I came back with my friends who were visiting from Gibraltar late in the evening for a night cap and when my friend ordered tea with milk she was presented with a pot of warm milk with a tea bag in it! We were quite baffled and asked for him to take it away and do it again only to get redbush tea instead of black tea. Oh well, my friend didn't want to make a fuss so didn't say anything again but hey, it's really not that hard and I'm sure you have a lot of guests from Britain so I think it's quite important your staff knows how to make tea. Just a little thing. Apart from that I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and felt very much at home. I will definitely visit again and have already recommended the hotel to a friend of mine who's planning to visit Malaga in January with his new wife! Oh and if you need tips on where to eat, try Clandestino, El Patio and Taberna Cantarrana. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the Plaza
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo