“All right, but dull”

Ranked #37 of 88 Hotels in Malaga
Brussels, Belgium
“All right, but dull”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

This hotel calls itself a hostal, and this is what it is. It is considered here to be cheap but considering what you get I would not necessarily agree. Rooms are very average and totally impersonal and charmless. It does not give you the feeling of a chain hotel though. Cleanliness of the room and bathroom was not convincing and our room was a bit smelly. The bedcover had not been changed for a long time, bedsheets were fresh though. Although situated in the old town our view going to a back court was all but nice. Staff was friendly and spoke English. No major complaints but nothing to praise either. One pro - private parking is provided at a good rate. Upon our return to Malaga we chose a different hotel of a slighlty better standard and at a lower rate. Would return though, unless I would find a better option in Malaga, which I did.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank oftravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Situated right next to the cathederal you can not find a better location for Malaga site seeing. A small basic hotel with few facilities although they do have secure car parking. Ideal for a short stay. Good friendly English speaking staff.

Room Tip: higher floors are les noisy
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank david s
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I stayed there for 10 days on my own . I found that the hotel was generally good with very polite and pleasant staff. However , one gentleman ( receptionist) did what could only be described as 'expose' him self to me whilst I was there. He was standing in front of me with his fly undone, wide open and had no underwear on . I appreciate it could have been a wardrobe malfunction but by winking at me after I felt very uncomfortable. very disappointing end to what has been great experience . Be care full travelling alone

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Chrisibo
Athens
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Stayed at Carlos V for 6 nights while in Malaga.I was very happy as its in a great location just behind the Cathedral...quiet...good price...and near everything! The guys at reception are wonderful..they were very helpful in every way.The room was fine... with a large,clean bathroom.I found the room to be very good....a little paint job was needed in my room on the walls..but this really is not a problem unless you are terribly fussy about those things.Only thing I missed and suggested would be nice to see in future was a mini fridge in room..and perhaps a computer in a common area for clients to use..although there is Wi Fi in the rooms.They are fixing up a big room downstairs so they have all these things in mind.There is no breakfast room but there are plenty of places near buy to grab something to eat.
I will surely stay here again when in Malaga!I felt perfectly at home here and again the guys at reception are a big help in every way..So if you are looking for a safe,friendly,cosy, and good priced hotel in a great location..give Carlos V a try! I highly reccomend it!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank philosykos
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Excellent hotel, good value for money. I have been staying at Carlos V for many years and it is always clean, confortable and friendly. I would highly recommend it as a place to stay. It is in an excellent location near the castle and cathedral, as well as bars, restaurants and of course the beach.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Magnolia826
Cork
Reviewed 20 March 2011

We stayed for 10 days - longer than planned thanks to the volcanic ash problem. The hotel is in an excellent location particularly for pedestrians. It is immediately behind the cathedral and within wast walking distance of the bus terminal, restaurants and shopping, and the waterfront.

I can't comment on parking as we got a bus from the airport.

The staff were very helpful and polite, and when we needed to extend our stay they accommodated us at the same rate that we had paid previously. They could easily have gouged us as we had no choice, so we were very appreciaitive. The rooms had recently been refurbished, good bathroom, flat screen TV, no aircon but cool with shutters on the windows,

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank exozzie
Wales
Reviewed 26 February 2011

stayed in Oct 2010 as a stop-over on our way to Gibraltar. Major construction work going on in the area but to be honest - the location of the hotel is outstanding so we didn't really mind. parking is up the road off to the right in an underground area (light switch is immediately to your left as you open up the garage by the way. took us ages to find, doh). There is a little cafe just opposite the hotel which isn't great but definitely convenient. If you're in the area for a short period of time and, like us, prefer to spend more time sightseeing & eating out than being indoors then this place is for you :-)

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple