“Well Run and Affordable”
Review of Hostal Derby

Hostal Derby
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Malaga
Hostal Derby
Ranked #75 of 145 Speciality Lodging in Malaga
Denver, Colorado, USA
“Well Run and Affordable”
Reviewed 24 March 2007

Three of us spent several days at the Derby in early March. We got very good value for the price we paid (64 E). The staff was patient as we worked on Spanish with them (no choice, since they are not comfortable in English) both in person and when I called to make the reservation. The Derby is easy to reach and central. All is clean and
well maintained daily. Some rooms face Plaza de la Marina and they are noisy even though it is fourth floor - Spaniards and the visting English do carry on until late at night. We were in back, facing a pricy hotel, and that was much quieter. Our room had two tiny balconies. There is a spacious balcony off the lobby, with a table and 6 - 8 comfortable chairs, where we had an evening snack once or twice. There was a film festival in Malaga, and the red carpet was just 1/2 block down the narrow street from the hotel, so we felt we were in the middle of the excitement. Certainly, I would to back. Summers might be hot; I did not check for cooling apparatus.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — Small elevator
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
9 Thank BinColorado

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
UK
Reviewed 31 July 2006

We chose this hostal on the basis of Lonely Planet guide and got a double room with its own shower in the room & toilet opposite. At 40 euros for a double room I have to say it's definitely the best value hostal in Malaga (and it's clean!). We were disturbed by the noise of the lift, so checked out the next night (we should have just requested a room further from the entrance) and had a nightmare trying to find anywhere (derby was by this point fully booked). Compared to the other hostals we looked at, Derby is way better value, way cleaner & it has gorgeous views of the port and a communal balcony. You won't find a better place in this price bracket in Malaga (and we must have tried about 15 other hostals)

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Squeaky beds!
  • Tips/Secrets — Check in early in the day (it gets booked up) and ask for a room away from the entrance
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
11 Thank Addis
Lachen, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 July 2003

Hostal Derby is an ok choice for a night, but it has suffered a lot in the last couple of years (I have stayed there a couple of times). It is VERY loud due to its location and to be honest the price for the rooms keeps going up while loosing any contact with reality, that is clean but shabby rooms without a bathroom. And they are VERY reluctant on reservations. Malaga seems to be an expensive place year round but to be honest, the only reason I keep staying at Derby is because I never have time to check out anything else.

12 Thank Chris75j
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed 28 May 2003

We window shopped for hostels for a full afternoon. This was by far the best hostel we found, and are planning to retun soon, particularly for the price we paid.

18 Thank OneM
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 May 2003

I have stayed at the Hostal Derby on two occasions-once when I was travelling alone and the other when I was with a companion. On both occasions I thoroughly enjoyed my stay - my room was basic but clean and the staff were really friendly even though I speak limited Spanish and they spoke no English.I would recommend this Hostal to anyone staying in Malaga.

24 Thank A TripAdvisor Member