“Great staff”

Ranked #21 of 87 Hotels in Malaga
Zurich
“Great staff”
Reviewed 15 April 2009

The absolute highlight of this hotel is the staff! The receptionists are very, very helpful with showing around the hotel room, information to organise your city visit, car parking, free time activities!! And all this in a very polite, but cordial manner. Very professional! The attic room is very cosy. It's a pity that it has no outside window. Bathroom ok, did not like the half-open shower door.Liked this hotel very much.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Itravelling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Finnish first
UK
Reviewed 22 February 2009

Malaga is a lovely city that bucked my predetermined view that it was going to be full of English lager louts up from the nearby Costa de Sol! The shops are many and varied, the bars serve wonderful Spanish wines from oak barrels, and we found some great tapas restaurants. The streets are paved with marble and there was a carnival on when we were there - which was colourful and great fun.
Our hotel - the good things:
1. It is a modern interior within a beautful old Spanish town house, with marvellous ornate balconies and old French windows. There was some lovely pieces of baroque style furniture downstairs.
2. Our room was spotlessly clean and the bathroom with shower was huge, although the room itself was quite small.
3. The hotel is just a few minutes walk from the city centre - excellently placed.
4. The receptionist who greeted us when we arrived was super friendly and helpful. She showed us non-touristy places to eat and drink on a map, and when we had trouble with our door (wouldn't lock then wouldn't open!) she came up straight away hammer in hand to try and fix it. She had excellent English and deserves 10/10 for her attitude and helpfulness.
Our hotel - the downsides.
1. They need to sort out the breakfasts! They serve until 10.30 and as we were on a weekend break we did not want to get up at the crack of dawn. However, it seems this is necessary as the majority of the food was gone by the time we got down at 10ish. There was just a few scraps of bacon, no bread for toast one morning, and just a few tired looking unhealthy doughnuts left. There was also only a dribble of juice left in the machine, and in a twist on the Alanis Morrissette song 'Ironic' they had DOZENS of knives and forks - but never any spoons!! The waitress did bring one out when I pointed to my cereal bowl and mimed a spoon - but then there were never any teaspoons available for the yoghurts - only huge soup ladles to try and dig into a tiny pot!
2. The bar looked great and welcoming - but was not open on any of the nights we were there..despite it being Valentines Weekend and a Carnival.
3. The walls are paper-thin - every b(h)ump and er....shout ..was heard from our neighbours!
4. The maids are a little over-zealous, although this could be seen I guess as a good thing. But on one morning the maid burst in while we were still fast asleep - without any tentative knocks beforehand! I think maybe it was an unsubtle hint to get up so they could get in a make the bed!
Overall the hotel is to be recommended, especially for its proximity to the marvellous city of Malaga. We caught the excellent train to the coast, revisiting the Fuengirola of my teenage years!!
Malaga has a port and a beach, and super shopping facilities. We ate traditional Spanish food, and 99% of the waiters/bar staff were very friendly and super-helpful.
The weather was warm and we sat out at a beach bar one day, with the warming rays of an early February sun on our backs! Can't be bad, as the week before I had been falling flat on my backside on the ice and battling a flooded house!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank allliemk
ottawa
Reviewed 31 January 2009

I was lucky to get a room in this hotel, not realizing there was a film festival going on and all my other choices were booked solid.
It looked nice enough when I arrived, very modern. But the single room I got left a lot to be desired.
I, like another reviewer, had trouble finding any light source when I walked in in the dark, and once in, found a bathroom that was less than inviting. While the hotel was only a couple years old, it looked like the bathroom hadn't had a good scrubbing since it opened. There were parts of the bathroom I didn't want to touch.
Also, got conflicting info from staff members on different shifts about the ability to get a cab at 5 a.m. to get to the airport.
Location, however, was great.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
Connecticut, USA
Reviewed 30 September 2008

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on our first and last day of our recent trip to Spain. It was a very nice, clean, safe, small hotel, well located near the best restaurants, shopping, sightseeing ,etc. The front desk folks were very professional and nice, and spoke very good English. Virginia was particularly helpful! I'd recommend this to any one looking for a good value with nice amenities. There are good cheap breakfast places right down the street, and a small supermarket next door. Time your parking to take advantage of their deal with a local garage for 8PM-9Am for 4.5 Euros, otherwise its 16 Euros for 24 hours.

• Liked — great bed, clean room and bathroom
  • Disliked — a little noisy at night due to mainstreet below
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Energysaver
Helsinki
Reviewed 11 August 2008

I only stayed in the hotel one short night after my late flight and before leaving for Seville the next morning, so in the end all I was looking was a clean, central and safe place to crash. The hotel filled my needs in this sense. However, I would not have wanted to stay in the hotel for a longer time. It was clean and central, but very very basic and was more of a two star hotel or hostal than a boutigue hotel.

When I arrived at 11pm, the lights in the reastaurant/lobby were off and the place seemed very uninviting and dark from the outside. This was the first ever hotel I have every stayed in where I had to pay in advance, which gave me a feeling of a packpackers' inn rather than a hotel. But at that hour, I just didn't care.

When I entered the room, I couldn't find the power switch and had to search in the complete darkness feeling the walls with my hands. I called the reception to find out that the light switch was behind the bath door - very hard to find.

My single room was very basic and small, though clean. The bed was terrible. There was a minibar as promised, but it was completely empty. Bad news after a long flight at night, when I really needed at least a bottle of water. There were no shops open around the hotel to find water, but turned out that the hotel restaurant has a vending machine. It was however not easy to spot, as the light in the reception floor were out. And the prices were minibar prices, one small bottle of water (25 ml) for the price of 1,20 euros - if I recall right.

In the safety box there was a note saying you needed to pay a deposit to the reception in order to use the safe. I called the reception, and they told me that I didn't need a deposit. The problem was that the safe worked with the key card, that also controlled the lights and electricity. So, in order to use the safe, you needed to pull off the key card from the electrícity switch. This meant that you had to use the safe in complete darkness, which was very tricky.

My room had a French balcony, but I didn't really use it, as it was very dusty. The air-condition worked well and the bathroom was very fine and clean. The area was central but completely dead at night, however, within short walk to the bus and renfe stations.
All in all, not very comfy, but ok for one night.

Stayed August 2008
Oslo
Reviewed 13 July 2008

Clean, nice and well kept. Front desk personell spoke excellent english, very helpful. Small rooms, but exactly what we needed. Air was a little bad in the rooms (ventilation did not function properly).

Perfect location across the street from a lively market. Easy driving in and out. Short walk to the lively centre of Malaga.

Poor breakfast (continental).

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room qualty
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
dubai
Reviewed 10 July 2008

The time we had in Malaga was good , however the same cannot be said of the hotel we stayed in. At the time of booking there were no options mentioned so how come we got one of the worst rooms?? or are all rooms like this?the plaster in the bathroom,on the ceiling was peeling off and a portion of the pipe could be seen, thankfully there as no water dripping/leaking. early morning was very very noisy, some trucks offloading on the street?? don't know ..the room faced a buiding under construction in a narrow back street . This was not what we expected of a 'boutique ' experience.

• Liked — easy access from train/bus station and to city centre
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)