“Wonderful retreat but not without a car!”

Hotel Villa Guadalupe
Ranked #22 of 89 Hotels in Malaga
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Wonderful boutique-ish hotel with great views of Malaga and the sea.
We paid extra for a room on the second floor with balcony and seaview. Well worth it.
The hotel is souterrain build with the entrance on the back being on the fourth floor.
First night we got a great family room on the fourth floor, with a mezzanine for our son. Views over the mountains.
The restaurant serves fantastic food.
Drawback is the location and if you're not up for a 15-20 minute hike down the hill, in something close to a black pist in a ski slope, rent a car!
Once down the hill, there is not much to do since it's on the outskirts of Malaga.
Breakfast was € 9/person, unfortunately there are no other options but to eat here, unless you have a car or take a taxi somewhere else. People are writing about the bus to Malaga, absolutely, but you still need to hike down the hill to catch the bus!
And in 40 degrees in August, you can only imagine.
The room on the second floor has an amazing view, however Malaga isn't that charming at this end of town.
Quite close to the airport (however, this didn't bother us at all. Couldn't hear it at all. However, the rooms weren't as soundoroof as one would like. One morning we woke up 06.30 when the people in the room next door took a shower.
One thing this hotel would need is either a minibar or the option to make a cup of coffe.
Wonderful pool, we had it almost to ourselves.
Overall a great little hotel (11 rooms I believe), but a tip is to have a car since a taxi to Malaga center costs € 15-20 and there is nothing to do around the hotel.
Or, for the hotel to arrange some kind of shuttle service!

Room Tip: Second floor with balcony and seaview!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jeanette B

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Let's start with the location which is usually the main point for me. The place is not in the center of the city but easy to access by car, taxi or by bus, however, if you take the pace, prepare for 10min or so uphill (or downhill) walk - taxi from the city center is 10euros. So not a problem!

The neighborhood is rather upscale and you will enjoy a nice view .We we lucky to have dinner at the hotel while a local band was performing which was real nice, with a night view of Malaga. It is a superb-place if you a light sleeper; Perfect for relaxing vacation! I don't think I would trade it for a place downtown even if I have to take a taxi late in the evening. Remember, the restaurant is quite famous and worthwhile tasting the food!

Rooms are OK, normal as I say - nothing fancy but sufficient! My issue were the pillow which was too high but you can always find a way around.
Breakfast didn't look attractive but you can get coffee and juice and then relax around the pool preparing for the day.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2014

After 3 days in the centre of malaga we (my girlfriend and I)decided to go on the outskirts to unwind.
Our initial thoughts, after the stay in a swanky state of the art hotel, were mixed. However, this soon faded and we loved the hotel within the hour and continued to do so for the rest of our 4 days/nights.
The hotel itself has amazing views, is quiet, has a good outside area with pool but the best thing is without doubt the staff! I had read about the friendliness of them, but didn't believe they could make your stay that good until I was there. Nothing was too much for them!
The downside of the the hotel
1- it is out of the way, so if you were wanting to head into malaga itself it isn't the easiest. There is a bus at the bottom of the (steep) hill which is cheap and takes 20 mins to get into malaga, but there aren't many places to go or eat about if you don't have a car.
2- the room isn't "modern"- however, this is my being over critical as I don't go on holiday to spend time in my room.

Overal I really enjoyed my time here and would go back for sure! For a quiet and relaxing break I would definitely recommend this hotel! Further to this, the food at the hotel is some of the best I have eaten!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PartTimeFoodie123
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Gorgeous hotel - up in the mountains. The view alone is worth the price of (very reasonable) admission. We had room # 2 - it has an upper loft with 2 beds. Great for a family of 4. Beautiful pool, excellent restaurant with a picture window view. Lovely people running the place - parking directly our front of the main entrance. A real pleasure, and #1 in Malaga for good reasons.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Good food
Great service
Recommend to anyone
Had lunch there yesterday , wonderful views over Malaga
Looking forward to going back "............................................................................................................
Thanks Danza

Hartley C. Bolton

Room Tip: Great views on the south side
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This hotel has one good thing....the view.

Everything else was either terrible or so mediocre I would never pay money again to stay here.

Food -- terrible.
Service -- incompetent.
Rooms - bland.
Walls - paper thin. So noisy, I was unable to sleep at all.

I would rather sleep in the back seat of my car than stay at this place again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank TheWriter13
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This beautiful hotel and restaurant high atop a hill overlooking Malaga is stunning. However, over and above the view is the fantastic cuisine where each dish brings a fresh discovery of flavors. The staff stand out as the most delightful part. Made to feel special and pampered, I also felt welcomed into their world, a world of excellence with a family touch and true enjoyment of life. I highly recommend the Friday Music evenings with tapas and cocktails. But, if you have the time, enjoy a full meal. You will be delighted!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends