“Good if travelling by rail or bus”
Review of Sercotel Malaga

Sercotel Malaga
Ranked #35 of 88 Hotels in Malaga
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good if travelling by rail or bus”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I chose this hotel because I was travelling to Seville the next day and only had one night in Malaga. For this purpose it was ideal, it only takes 3-4 minutes to walk to the train station.The hotel is modern and I found the staff to be very professional, upon arrival I was upgraded to a higher class of room and it proved to be large and comfortable. As I only stayed one night I can't comment on the other facilities available but the proximity to both rail and bus stations make it an ideal stopover hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Man_with_beard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Second visit to the Puerta Malaga and had a great experience. The hotel is very accessible from Malaga's main train station which is ideal for the airport and day trips. It's handy for the beach (promenade Antonio Banderas) and a 15 minute walk into town.

Rooms are comfortable and cleaned daily. Toiletries and other amenities included. There's a mini bar, but there's also a supercor supermarket and a corte ingles outlet store across from the main hotel entrance which are both handy for the things you need. My last trip to the hotel was 3 years ago and I did notice a big improvement in the wifi in rooms.

Very happy to recommend and will no doubt return!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Ironbridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I am certainly NOT in the habit of complaining unnecessarily, but the attitude of the reception staff and the (so called) Manager was appalling. We had an OK 1st night - me and my fiend -but 2nd night we had the room neighbours from "Hell" partying and chatting loudly and banging doors at 4 in the morning...contact Hotel reception that night...they came up, we heard the lads in the room go quiet and they left...then it all started up again.....considering we paid £102 a night for the twin room, the least we wanted was some concession or offer. The lady on the reception desk (Nuria) was huffing and puffing when we made this complaint and kept going out the back to consult (2 times) with her duty manager....when she came out the 2nd time, I just said can I not speak with the man who you keep going back to consult...he came out and said he could do nothing til Monday (we made the complaint Saturday Morning) when the Manager came on duty...we asked could they not reduce the second night-NO they said- we said could they not offer us a 3rd night (for our return to Malaga for a reduced price-they said they could reduce from 215 euro to 115 euro...I said that we'd paid £102 for a night anyway..this carried on until the lady said best they would do was a complimentary breakfast...14Euros...I told my friend that we should NOT accept this and just sort it out on the Monday, when the manager returned..phoned hotel, go the 'Manager' who would not budge on the information she had received (offer of breakfast/'reduced' room rate 115 Euro...I said if she was the manager surely she could do anything within her discretion..she said 'this is out busy period as there is a Feria in Malaga and also that 1400 other guests had slept perfectly well...I replied that perhaps they didn't have a party going on in the room next to them and that we the poor unfortunates who did, she said we had been made an offer...which I said was NOT good enough.....she said she had no authority to reduce the room rate any further than 115 Euro for the room/night.....I gave up and put the phone down...clearly only desperation would drive me back to this Hotel....also as a footnote (every other Hotel we stayed in (Seville/Granda) was perfection....much cheaper, bit of equally good standard and much more friendly staff....

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Huddersfield
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Turn right out of Maria Zambrano station and right again on the street parallel to the train lines; about 3-400 metres on the left it is the first building that looks like a hotel just beyond the Mercado of Corte Ingles so don't be put off by the signs on the 6th Floor; it's number 17 so don't walk too far. Having sorted out the directions it is not that far to the centre or historic areas; I would risk a walk to town take in a tapa or two and get a taxi back if approaching midnight. Clean and efficient hotel but don't forget that there is a coffee bar and that there are a number of other breakfast options in the bars nearby or in the station itself. Very good for station and airport connections.

Room Tip: Probably go for the 6th floor which might be quitter; the sound insulation is not that good from/to...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Twinsburg, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed here for 11 days (checked out Aug 7th, 2014). This was a great location for us because it was right near the train station which made getting to the airport very easy. Also the Maria Zambrano Train station has a mall and food court. The tourist desk inside the mall was helpful and thru them I was able to book 1-day bus tours to Gibraltar, Grenada, and Benalmadena. A word of advice would be to book your tours in advance since they fill up pretty fast. I missed out on tours to Sevilla and Cordoba. Since this hotel is kind of in an urban spot, it was very easy to get around and see the city of Malaga. I highly recommend doing the City Tours Hop On Hop Off Bus. We did that on day1 to get a good view of Malaga. The pass is good for 24 hours so you can get on and off do some sightseeing or head to the beach. After that, we became regular riders of the regular city bus to get to our daily attractions. We often walked back from the beach, which is about 30 minutes (but gives you a chance to do more sightseeing on the way back).

The hotel lobby and rooms were very clean and upscale. We ate dinner quite a bit at the hotel restaurant. The food was very good and we also got room service a couple of times. Everyone was very nice and friendly. They also have touristy info in the hotel lobby. We found a flyer for dinner and a flemenca show. I highly recommend Alma Flamenca. It was an easy cab ride away.

We had a wonderful time in Spain and I would certainly visit Malaga again and stay at the Silken Puerta. Did I mention there is a supermarket directly across the street?

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Brighton
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is a modern business hotel a few minutes walk across from the train station and (new) metro station. The area is not great, but it is very easy with the new metro to travel a few stops to either the historic centre or harbour for restaurants and bars, or further afield.
The hotel has parking underground, for around Euro 14 per day. The rooms are bright and modern, with wide beds. Good free internet, and try to get the breakfast buffet included as it is very good.
Only 15 minutes easy drive to the airport.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Clydebank, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed at for 3 nights as a solo traveller. I arrived very early & was delighted when my room was ready immediately. All the staff were very helpful & extremely pleasant. I had a room on 5th floor which was great. Very clean. I stayed on a b&b basis but ate in the Cafe restaurant downstairs on 2nd night. I also used room service. There was a wee mix up which I have to say was sorted right away. Breakfast was great & I was happy with the choice available.The hotel is close to the main train station Maria Zambrano & bus station plus an abundance of taxis too. I took bus when I arrived which cost €3 & only 5 minutes walk to hotel. I decided to take a taxi on way back which cost €15 which I thought was fair. The hotel is about 30mins or so walk from Port & main shopping area but I enjoyed walk. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Anything above third floor. There is a main road at either side of hotel which get very busy at time...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo