“Fabulous hotel, great location, amazing City”

Hotel MS Maestranza
Ranked #14 of 88 Hotels in Malaga
nr Oxford
“Fabulous hotel, great location, amazing City”
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We managed to 'dump' the kids and nip away for a short City break in Malaga, where we were fortunate enough to stay at the Hotel Maestranza. Well, what a fabulous find this place was!! Superbly located, being just 100m from the beach and a ten minute stroll (or seven minutes through the smelly tunnel) to the wonders of the Old Town, it had everything we were looking for - a lovely roof-top terrace for late-afternoon sunbathing, a nice jacuzzi, a handy little gym, superb views of the Bull Ring, both castles and a glimpse of the beach too! It also had a bar and a restaurant though we confess we didn't go to these - but we did go to the cafe just outside each morning for some delicious coffee and bakery. One day, we even ordered some take away rolls filled with cheese, ham, etc, that were individually wrapped and scoffed later on while at the beach!
If tapas and cheap but oh-so-smooth Rioja is your thing, you'll struggle to beat the Old Town in Malaga - we'd advise strolling around just about all the street bars in the day and taking your pick but in the evening, a trip to Vino Mio on Calle Alamos is essential (though the flamenco only goes from 8-9:30pm) and Liceo, which looks like it's just opened and isn't in the best area but has a truly amazing flamenco show from 8:30 and is really quite amazing once inside and upstairs. Then head back down to either Calle de la Caldereria or Calle de Sanchez Pastor for later night drinks and tapas, all sat outside in the beautiful weather of Southern Spain. If you fancy a bigger meal, El Pimpi is probably a good bet too - and we didn't manage to get to Tapeo de Cervantes due to time but the menu looked fab.
We did an hour cycle tour for a very reasonable 18 euros one day (pick them up from outside the incredible Cathedral), and the guide does take you around most of the Old Town, where you can learn more about some of the gems that exist in terms of both food, architecture and history - on the back of this, we found some free museums to browse through that were very interesting indeed.
Naturally, there's a Picasso theme to a lot of places (Malaga being his birthplace) and they are currently renevating the square where he was born - doesn't cause too much of an issue though and you can still see the building where the great painter (or not in my opinion but each to their own!) was born. You'll also hear some stories about Malaga's other favourite son, Antonio Banderas, who apparently still comes back once a year for a visit.
There are plenty of banks in Malaga but be aware that they shut at 2:30pm - they're also full of generally unhelpful staff who stand around doing not-a-lot! So I'd suggest you get your euros before you travel or just get a wedge out of a cash machine straight away to avoid multiple foreign charges.
A quick note on the beach - we were told that it's man-made with sand from the Sahara and we found it to be really quite nice. You can hire sun loungers for 4 euros, though there's plenty of space if you just want to throw a towel down and lie on it for free. Seemingly thousands of guys walking along offering Coca-Cola, Fanta, water, etc - rather annoying after a while until you suddenly get a thirst and then you're thankful you kept a euro handy for an ice-cold Coke! Be warned though that the water is (or at least was) freezing and that you're walking straight into a load of stones once off the sand. So depends what you're looking for in terms of the beach - if you just want to lie on it and enjoy the weather, it's great.
To sum up, amazing place and a quite super hotel to be based at if a City trip with the added bonus of a beach is for you. We booked through booking.com and found it very efficient indeed - all the details were waiting with Reception on arrival. We had a room on the 5th floor with a castle view (though you could look out left from the balcony and see the sea!) - the road below, as mentioned in a few reviews, is quite noisy but only from the balcony itself - close the doors and we could hardly hear a thing. Presumably, higher up nearer the roof (12th floor) would be even quieter. The Reception staff don't speak a lot of English which we personally thought was great since it gave us a chance to test out our Spanish - but they are very helpful and really try to guide you in the right direction on anything you need. There's a supermarket just across the street that sells all the usual stuff (except cigarettes - you have to go slightly further afield for those) and we bought some lovely cheap wine to quaff on our balcony - 97 degrees at 7:30pm, a glass of wine and a great view before going out to eat equals Heaven for us!

Room Tip: Probably best to stay at least above the 4th floor
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank RikAKAShaky

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2011

The title says it all. Good clean hotel situated in a fantastic location to explore this friendly city. The down side is if you drive. Parking is difficult to find without paying, the hotel charged us 14 euros with valet service which we tought was good value considering we paid 21 euros by ourselves at the same car park. One little note: try the little coffee/bakery shop under the hotel, lovely pastries and coffee.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amadeus15
Aussie in UK
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Rooms are decent size, loads of toiletries are complimentary. Little balcony in, I think, every room.
The gym is completely overrated and unusable, disappointing as this is always one of the things I look for when booking a hotel. The rooftop has nice views and several deck chairs.
There is no pool.
My bed linen was very torn but I forgot to take a photo for proof.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Miramar, Fl
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We booked a no-smoking room for 3 adults 8 months prior to trip and the hotel had the correct paperwork ready for us when we arrived. The hotel building is a little difficult to find due to one-way roads, but follow the hotel signs on the street. The staff was courteous and knowledgable. The room was divided in two with a partial wall; the bathroom had a jacuzi tub. The room was comfortable for 3 adults.

The hotel is next to the bullring. The Alcazaba is a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

There is a public parking underground garage within a 5 minute walk of the hotel, an ATM and mini-market across the street, and an awesome bakery next to the hotel. We woke up to the smell of fresh baked bread! The hotel is about a 25 minute drive from the airport.

We would stay here again.

Room Tip: We used BOOKING.COM to reserve the room; no hassle
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank A2Go
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 2 June 2011

-- Catch "A" Bus right outside Baggage Claim. 2 Euro to Plaza de Torrijos (last stop) 25 minutes.
-- Staff really friendly and knowledgable, Choose high floor for less street noise (Floors 10-12)
-- Rooms decent size with nice fixtures in bath, plenty of hot water and high quality toiletries and great balconies
-- 3 Blocks from beach - free glass of Cava on arrival
-- Fridge and minibar in room but no coffee/tea facilities
-- Excellent air conditioning - easy to control
-- Great French cafe next door with breakfast breads/pastries to die for and great coffee
-- Really clean
-- Value for money.
-- Wireless internet good signal and fast in Room 1106
-- I left computer charger in room and they mailed it immediately - I was impressed.
-- I will stay here again for sure

Room Tip: Ask for high floor (10-12) to avoid street noise
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Traveller_45_UK
Lancashire
Reviewed 27 May 2011

This hotel is a less-than-4euro taxi ride from the main shopping area of Malaga, and close to the beach. It has a very small entrance and I wasn't expecting the 4 steps up to the reception.
It is the (internally) quietest hotel I've ever stayed in. I was on the 11th floor. There was no noise from slamming doors, no voices, no lift noise, no sounds from cleaners, from rooms next door, above or below. There were always plenty of people around at breakfast. I was beginning to think they'd put me there in isolation! There was traffic noise from outside, but closing the balcony door stopped it, if necessary.
The room was OK, but not as nicely decorated as the photos on the website. The pillow was a bit hard and I couldn't get my neck comfortable, but that may say more about my neck than their pillows! The bathroom was clean and fresh-looking, and bigger than some 4* hotel bathrooms I've experienced. My companion wanted the air-conditioning on at night, but it was too noisy and blew cold air which bounced off the curtains and gave me a cold draught on my head, so it had to be switched off.
The meals here are big . I asked for a sandwich and got a triple decker with lots of chips and plenty salad! The one time I had room service, it took 3 phonecalls to get anything to eat, they said there was no waiter. But, the food came in the end, and it was delicious.
There were leaflets at reception regarding an excursion to Mijas, including a flamenco show and novillada (bullfight for trainees). Having asked several questions about this, I booked it and discovered that the info they gave me was inadequate and inaccurate. This caused quite a lot of inconvenience.
The view from the 11th floor balcony, (looking out over the bullring, cliff face, castle, botanical gardens, fountain and very complicated traffic system) was spectacular. I spent ages watching swallows flying around at eye-level, or below. I was also fascinated watching the student bullfighters practising their moves in the ring (no bulls involved), and watching them give a demonstration to a group of tourists.
I did not make use of any of the 12th floor amenaties. I forgot to go and have a look!

Room Tip: Views from the top floors are spectacular!
  • Stayed May 2011
4 Thank Reinalina
St. Petersburg, FL
Reviewed 21 May 2011

Stayed here in May 2011 for 2 nts after a repositioning cruise. The staff was very helpful. I've travelled extensively in different parts of the world, and was pleasantly surprised with the room. The bathroom was exceptional, the room spacious enough, and the view from the balcony was a million dollar view. The best part of this hotel, though, is its location. Literally a 5-min walk to the beach, and a very easy 15-min walk into the central district. When I come back to Malaga, I will definitely stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor looking over the bullring!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo