“One bad experience marred an otherwise excellent stay”
Review of Hotel Tribuna

Hotel Tribuna
Ranked #58 of 88 Hotels in Malaga
county down
“One bad experience marred an otherwise excellent stay”
Reviewed 31 December 2011

From the price we paid I wasn't expecting anything fancy or flash. The hotel was clean and central, nice bedroom (a bit of noise from outside, but just what you would expect on a city break). The breakfast room was also the bar/cafe which was very bright and pleasant, and the food was fine too. However on one morning we mentioned to the waiter the the coffee in the flask was cold. To prove to us that he thought it was warm he poured a cup in front of us - and stuck his finger in it! Incredible - I have never seen anything like this! He continued to argue with us, then eventually brought hot coffee from the cafe counter (not that hard to do) then said we would have to pay extra. Needless to say we did not pay extra - and he did not stick his finger into the steaming cup to prove it was hot!

Without this encounter, I would have given the hotel 5 stars - it was clean, central, great value with (mostly) helpful polite staff. I would still recommend it - but do be careful of that coffee!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We stayed for one night as planned, and found it do be quite average. We were glad we didn't have to stay longer as it came across as a bit dingy and in parts unkempt (stains on the carpet in the corridor, very rickety lift etc).

However it was clean and for the price paid probably what one would expect. I wouldn't want to stay here for a week long holiday, but for a night stop over it's fine. Nice and close to the main part of town, which is good.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Very good location, about 15 minutes walk from the railway station and five minutes from the town centre. Nice hotel too, certainly no problems with it! Just 20 minutes walk up the riverbed to the football ground too, and that's the most important thing, of course!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed 16 February 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and although there was nothing particularly wrong with it, neither were there any notieably good features.
The rooms were of average size, with slightly dated and plain decor; the en suite similar.
The single beds weren't particularly comfortable but the room itself was light and airy with a balcony style window onto the street below.
The staff were fine but not overly friendly or helpful.
The location was fairly good however the hotel does overlook an empty man-made river as well as having a slightly dirty, run-down area next to it.
Additonally, the afternoon we arrived an unexpected maintenance man arrived who spoke no english and just walked into our bathroom uninvited. This was inconvenient, especially as we had not been warned that he would be coming.
On the plus side there is a computer in the hotel lobby with free internet access for guests which we took full advantage of during our stay.
Overall the hotels standard was equivalent to the price we paid but would say that there is probably much better value accomodation to be had in Malaga.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 February 2011

The Hotel was ok, but nothing exciting. Location was good. It looks on the map that you have to walk a bit to get to the main sites, but actually this City is so small, that it felt like everything was around the corner (maybe not the beach), so that was a big plus for us. Staff was very friendly and helpful. They spoke English too, so that's a plus.

Unfortunately terrible smell in the bathroom and from the air conditioning made me want to leave this hotel as soon as we arrived. We stayed only for 2 nights, so we didn't bother, but it was disturbing. And, of course as everywhere in Spain, acoustics of the building sucked! You could hear your neighbors, people getting the elevator - our room was just beside it and there was a huge noise from the streets. Ear plugs didn't really work in there.

Overall, price was good (but maybe a little overpriced) and I wasn't very unhappy about the rest but would never go back there.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Livingston UK
Reviewed 10 November 2009

My friend and I stayed two nights. First impressions of the room were that it was gloomy and dingy, with drab furnishings, but clean. We then found the safe would not lock but this was soon fixed and we went out for the afternoon. When we came back early evening we discovered the shower doors would not close - the gap was several centimetres - We were given another room that had the same furnishings but the lighting was brighter and the shower was good. The hotel is on a busy street, and the windows and shutters are not soundproof, making traffic noise troublesome for us. More disturbing however was the internal noise from the neighbouring rooms, of TV, and room doors banging. It wasn't that we had anti social neighbours, but that soundproofing and maintenance were completely lacking.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Malaga hotels

belfast
Reviewed 13 January 2009

I was taking a suprise trip to malaga just for one day to suprise a friend who lives there. In case this seems strange the fare from Belfast was dirt cheap. The Kris Tribuna is a nice reasonable well located hotel. During my short stay in Spain I used my credit card just once to pay the hotel. Rest of the time it was securely in my wallet. On checkout I as asked if a receipt required that struck me as strange. I of course insisted. There was only one person on reception on my checking out.
Three days after my return home I had a call from my credit card company that someone had tried to use my details.
As the only place my card was used -the hotel I phoned them and the reception would not put me through to the manager.
I have stayed at Kris Tribuna three previous times with no problem but never again. If you stay I suggest you take great care and check your credit card for a few days later or pay cash and get a receipt

• Liked — location modern clean
  • Disliked — credit crd issues
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)