“Comfortable hotel with great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Molina Lario

Hotel Molina Lario
Ranked #3 of 90 Hotels in Malaga
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“Comfortable hotel with great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

LOCATION

The hotel is about 20 minutes by car from Malaga airport.
The hotel is perfectly located next the cathedral. Most rooms get a wonderful view.
The beach is about a 15 minute walk away.
The hotel is literally surrounded by restaurants, cafes, ice cream parlours and shops, and yet it didn’t feel touristy or overly busy.

STAFF

The reception staff were friendly and helpful. They gave us directions to various places and were happy to assist us with our bags when we arrived and departed.
It’s not the kind of hotel where the staff go out of their way to help you with everything but they are there in the background for when you need them.
I noticed that many people have complained about the breakfast staff. Personally I didn’t have any problem with them. You give your room number to them when you enter the restaurant and that is it. I’m not sure why people have complained about that because it is common practise in most hotels.
The cleaners did a really good job. On the rare occasion that we saw them in the corridor they always said hello.

ROOM

We booked a superior room. It was fairly spacious with twin beds, writing desk, armchair, double wardrobes (could have done with a few more hangers) and tea/coffee making facilities. We were surprised at how large the bathroom was. And it was very clean and modern.
The beds were hard (as many people have stated) but not uncomfortable. We didn’t feel the need to ask for a mattress topper although we were told that one was a available if requested.
We had double doors that opened out to the main street. It definitely wasn’t a balcony but it was nice to be able to get some air into the room. Some hotels I’ve stayed in don’t allow you to open the windows at all. We were only on the 1st floor so we were quite close to the street and we did hear quite a bit of noise in the night. I’d imagine that if you stayed on a higher floor that this wouldn’t be such a problem.
We had a lovely view of the cathedral though.

ROOM SERVICE

We ordered room service one night as we’d had a long day and didn’t fancy going out. I wouldn’t recommend the room service. The menu is very limited and not cheap. We ended up ordering pizza (not exactly Spanish cuisine) which, to be honest, was a bit tasteless.

ROOFTOP POOL/BAR

The rooftop pool/bar was fantastic. It is only small but we never found it to be busy. You get a great view of the harbour and the cathedral. You are overlooked by the neighbouring hotel which is quite a few floors higher than this hotel.
At night the bar is lit up. The drinks are VERY expensive so beware.

FOOD

We only ate breakfast at the hotel as this was included with our room. There wasn’t a huge selection but what was available was good.
There was a hot selection (eggs, bacon, sausages, cooked tomatoes, mushrooms etc.). Fresh fruit and yoghurt, cereals, breads and pastries.
The hotel has new Nespresso machines for coffee and tea. Fruit juice and milkshakes were also available.
We didn’t realise until the last day that there were also a couple of hot dishes that you could order free of charge – pancakes, omelettes, churros. Shame we didn’t find that our earlier.

Our trip over all was very nice. Malaga itself is a beautiful city with an interesting history.

TIPS:

Visit the harbour (about 10 minutes walk). It’s pretty at sunset, there are a few boutiques and some nice restaurants to enjoy tapas.

BEWARE pick-pockets. Entirely my own fault for not being careful. Pick pockets often work in pairs and will target tourists in the busy areas. I nearly lost my purse right outside the hotel! Luckily I felt the woman reach into my bag and I managed to catch her arm and give her a good yelling.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a superior room or suite on one of the higher floors. This should limit the amoun...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank aprilshowers14
932722083, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Molina Lario, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Customer
Thank you very much for your detailed and very well organized comments. We are glad to know that overall you spent a wonderful time in the city and that you enjoyed Malaga itself. Furthermore, we would like to apologize for the noise issue and for your experience with the room service. We are conscious of the noise that can be heard around the hotel and that's why we are trying to install a double pan glass window in all our rooms to solve this problem. Additionally, we take all your reviews very seriously so we will talk directly with the department in charge of the rooms’ service to look over the menu and will try to complement it for the next time.
Again, thank you very much for all your opinion and if you ever come back to Malaga again, do not hesitate to contact us, we will be delighted to have you again.

Nuria Verdaguer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Turkish first
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

For city centre location - along with the AC Marriott across the street there is none better. All Attractions, Shops, Restaurants & Marina are within walking distance.
Check in was fast, friendly and efficient. All reception staff were very helpful, professional & friendly.
Room on level 5 was very spacious, cool in temperature, clean, bathroom was an excellent size. Room safe very large.

Breakfast in my opinion needs improvement. I stayed in the Barcelo last year and they offer the best breakfast. In the Molina Lario the room for breakfast needs a re-layout. It's cluttered, crowded, and a bit all over the place and there is always the potential for collisions and breakages (witnessed). The food is basic and didn't meet my expectations for this type of hotel and compared to the Barcelo.
If the hotel read this please observe the room layout and food available at the Barcelo for reference.

The "pool" is on level 8. It's not a swimming pool. It's for dipping in to cool down. The area will suit some people but it's nothing to get excited about. The rooftop at the AC Marriott is even more pretentious in case you think you're missing out on something as it's higher and seems "bigger" - (it's not - just more seats).

The lounge on level 7 is shared with the pool area on level 8. While we were there a private party on level 7 still ended up on level 8 so if you want peace and quiet there you mightn't get it.

All that said. It's a great base for a city stay and it was enjoyable. It's clean, quiet, comfortable and I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Agredable
Dear Customer
Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor, we really appreciate receiving your sincere feedback about your stay. We would like to apologize for any disorder you found with the hotel and would like to mention that we are aware that the breakfast assortment and area might need to be improved, we have taken your criticisms seriously and are already working on it. However, mention that beside the offered dishes on the buffet, you can order as well free-of-charge hot meals and that if it is very crowded and the weather allows it, there is extra space to have breakfast at the terrace.
Furthermore, we are happy to know that you found the treat of our staff friendly and that you had a comfortable stay at the Molina Lario.
We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

Great Value for money hotel in the heart of Malaga. We ha d a junior suite for a bit of extra room and that was a good idea. Randomly, you get free whisky in the room (wish it had been free gin instead though! Pool can get really crowded during the day - and it is quite small. We didn't try any of the restaurants so can't comment about that. Lifts are a bit weird to work out. Would defo stay next time... Views from rooftop are great.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alimcl
Dear Customer,
Thank you for your kind comments. We are happy to know that overall you had a pleasant and wonderful stay in Malaga and we would like to apologize for any inconvenience the high occupancy of the hotel may have caused you.
We are looking forward to seeing you again

Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Molina Lario for four nights and found the hotel nice but not in keeping with the hyped reviews.

We upgraded on arrival and had a spacious room on the 3rd floor. The room smelled damp whenever the windows were closed for a long period of time and we found nail clippings on the floor during the first day. The hotel cleaned the room and we were given some chocolates which was fine.

Location is good, very close to all landmarks but it can be a little noisey. The area round the hotel is tourist central so explore further afield.

Bars in the hotel are fine, relatively inexpensive. However the rooftop pool is a joke. It's a small square plonked in the middle of the bar, and certainly no good for swimming.

We had breakfast one day and found it average. There are much better and cheaper alternatives in Malaga.

Without staying at another hotel in Malaga it is difficult to say we would come here again, but at the very least it wouldn't be my immediate choice.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Luke,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us why our service failed to meet your expectations. We take all your opinion seriously and would like to take the opportunity to apologize for the different uncomfortable situations you had with the hotel. We would like to mention however, that we are conscious of the noise that can be heard around the hotel and that's why we are trying to install a double pan glass window in all our rooms to solve this problem, furthermore, due to limited space, the rooftop pool is just a way to cool oneself down after a hot summer day, we are sorry for you not being made aware of that previously. Moreover, cleanliness is one of our main policies and we are very sorry that you did not find it this way; we will talk with the department to avoid any similar situation again. Finally, although you can always order free-of-charge hot dishes, we are aware of the shortage of the breakfast variety and we are already taking care of the matter in order to improve it as soon as possible.
Again, thank you for your comments and we can only apologize for your not satisfactory experience in our Hotel.

Bangor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

I loved my stay in this hotel. Its location is perfect, as it's close to the cathedral, the historic centre, the main shopping and eating streets, the beautiful Paseo del Parque and the port. It's also only a short walk (about 10 minutes) to Malaga Centro Metro station.

My room, on the 4th floor, was large, spotless and very comfortable. The small balcony was great for a view of the street below but once the balcony doors were closed, the noise was shut out completely for a good night's sleep. There was a blackout curtain, too. The bed was huge and came with a 'pillow menu' in case you prefer a particular type of pillow!

I ate on the roof terrace a couple of times because it was such a lovely place to sit and enjoy the last of the sun. The food was good, the beer was cold and the local wine was excellent.

The receptionists were knowledgeable and helpful.

I'm looking forward to staying here again when I go back to see more of Malaga.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ghostlymand
Dear Madam,
Thank you for your thoughtful comments about the Hotel. We are glad to know that all the hotel facilities and staff meet all your expectations, that you spent a wonderful time in Malaga and that you had the chance to taste a little bit of the Spanish culture.
We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

I booked a basic room with no breakfast no parking at 275 euros for 2 nights. I then called the hotel about parking and a view from my window I was told I could ask about upgrading with a view when I arrived and they could not guarantee any parking. There are about 4 car parking spaces out side on the main road and the chance of getting one of these is remote. When we were checking out some one was complaining that the underground car park had been full so she had to use another. So try to get there early. When I arrived I was asked about an upgrade and it was 11 euros a night. Ask about breakfast offers as I got 2 for the price of one. Both great value. I looked at the upgrade room to see if it was worth it and it was, the room was very clean spacious and included a 1/3 of a decanter of good Brandy. There is also a large selection of pillows to choose from. I also looked at the room I had originally booked and I could have been anywhere and I think I may have cancelled my room as it was not what I call value for money at 275 euros for 2 nights. The hotel had wifi problems for most of Saturday and Sunday morning. Breakfast was very good for 9 euros!. Location great for bars, restaurants, marina and beach. The red tour bus stops 10 metres away and is great to hop on and off to see all the attractions. if you are driving take the GPS. We came from Cadiz area and there is no right turn off the main round to the hotel, so you will have to make a u-turn somewhere. Would go again if I could guarantee upgrade for 11 euros a night.

Room Tip: I had room 610 with a view of the cathedral. there is a patio door to a very tiny outdoor area whe...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yorkslasstraveller
Dear Customer,
Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor, we really appreciate receiving feedback from our guests. We are glad to know that all the hotel facilities and location meet your expectations and that you enjoyed the city during your trip. We would also like to apologize for the WiFi problems and we would like to let you know that our maintenance staff is checking at a regular basis all the hotel equipment and installations to fix any bugs up so we are always trying to solve any problem as fast as possible.
Again, thank you for your comments and we are looking forward to seeing you again.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Great location in the heart of the old town, close to all shop, bars and restuarants. Good sized rooms with all facilities you'd expect for this standard of hotel - we were on the 5th floor so no noise from the street to be heard, although i do know that the lower floor rooms can be though. The roof top pool and bar are excellent and the restaurant down stairs and bar good as well, although we only had a drink at night. Over all good value for money and enjoyable 3 night stay in July.

Room Tip: Higher floor if you don't want to hear the noise from the street below if you are on the side of...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends