“Don't Bother with Breakfast - Noisy - Shower Scalds and freezes all at once!”

Mariposa Hotel Malaga
Ranked #13 of 87 Hotels in Malaga
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I Chose this place for its high Tripadvisor rating.
On the first morning I went to get breakfast late, 10 Minutes before they closed the service.
I was greeted by hostile waiting staff who started my breakfast experience by taking the tray away containing coffee cups in the middle of me making coffee.
When I expressed my dissatisfaction the response was pretty much F@#K You! breakfast is finished. Whilst arguing with the waitress the waiter continued quickly clearing away everything in front of me before I had chance to help myself.
I wish I'd never bothered as the coffee I did eventually manage to sample was acrid! The remains of the buffet breakfast was disgusting and I wish I hadn't bothered at all!
This place is over rated with exceptionally ignorant and rude staff.
The manager did try to appologise a while later, but I was so wound up and annoyed over the whole episode that I was in no frame of mind for apologies. I cancelled our breakfast booking for the next two mornings and we ate out.
The rooms were of reasonable size and fairly comfortable.
The bathroom was reasonable with a shower that flooded the floor and either froze you or scalded you once you'd spent 5 minutes adjusting the control for acceptable temperature.
There were no bath robes or slippers.
Sound insulation in the room was extremely poor.
I certainly will not stay in this hotel or chain again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank jamestoo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,023)

Reviewed 25 February 2012

Clean and central located hotel with free wifi. For the price nothing to complain.

One can, however, already see that a lot of the interior and furniture is cheap. Even though the hotel cannot be that old yet, the furniture in the lounge and the carpets in the corridors show already substantial wear and tear.

Still. I recommend this hotel to anyone staying for a short time in Malaga. The train station for the train to the airport is literally three minutes away.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank fere0010
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Nice place to stay, just two steps away from the old city center and the bus to the airport. Also the railway station is just a fifteen walking minutes away.
Good beds, nice people. .............................................

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank j z
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Although i cannot quite put my finger on why, i was a little disappointed by this hotel, it was like a cheaper version of what it looks like it the photos, only stayed one night and was glad of that, although i did arrive quite late and leave reasonably early in the morning... room did seem to be clean and had everything i needed, and was a very short walk to all the bars and restaurants in malaga (which i had more time in malaga itself as it was a lovely lively fun place to spend time). Nothing specifically bad to say about the hotel, but just didn't do it for me...didn't have any atmosphere, almost felt like an upmarket youth hostel...

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank fi_abz
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We liked it. We were impressed by the desigh, the bed was the most comfortable of all the trip and the service at the reception was really friendly and helpful. I also enjoyed a very comfortable bath and lemon water at the reception was a nice touch. However, I can see where the bad reviews are coming from: there was a very annoying electrical noise from somewhere - I can distract myself from such noises but I can that someonecould be driven nuts by it. And it was not as clean as Spanish hotel ususally are, for example I found someones shoe under the bed - a clear sign that under the bed space was not vacumed before we checked in. Not a big deal for us, but still something to work on.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aallssuu
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Well they must be doing something right because I've worked out that I've stayed in this hotel four times now. Excellent for getting swiftly from the airport (couple of stops on the RENFE and a 5 min walk from Malaga Centro station), clean modern rooms, friendly staff and a short walk into town. Paid less than for similar hotels. Being located near the docks there are occassionally some ladies of negotiable affection on the corners but they seem friendly enough and overall the street is quiet.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ceri-anne
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I staid in the Lola for the first time now (was in Room Mate Larios before) on a business trip and liked it very much. Same as the Larios the Lola is a very nice and very modern hotel with a style I like a lot. Chill-out music playing in the lobby (from a CD you can buy), very modern rooms with an unusual decor (not this same old hotel feeling) and friendly, very helpful staff. Last but not least, the hotel is very close to the olde city centre, the bus and train station (when coming from the airport), and the new harbour promenade. Nevertheless we had very quiet nights. I will certainly come again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple