“Just what we wanted.”

Ranked #11 of 90 Hotels in Malaga
Isle of Man
“Just what we wanted.”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

A friend and I booked to stay in Room mate Lola for a weekend in Malaga. Its proximity to the centre was perfect for us as we didn't have a car so it was just a 10 minute walk onto the Alameda. The hotel itself is very trendy with lots of different room to relax in our favourite being the chill out room, although there also was pink room and the breakfast room. The hotel came with free WiFi which was ideal in helping us search places to eat in Malaga. The area of Malaga it is in is the equivalent of of London's Soho area, there are a few bars and quite a lot of risqué night-life. The room was very clean and the staff were very helpful. However one downside to the room was it was very hot, although it was March and the weather we had at the time was unusual. The rooms have a tendency to carry noise which is slightly irritating at night but not enough to prevent any sort of sleep. The other Room Mate hotel in Malaga is in the epicentre of Malaga which would have been ideal, but unfortunately not in our price budget. Overall an excellent stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Georgia A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I stayed here for one night this week. I arrived really late so probably didn't see it in full motion, but it appeared very neat and clean. The rooms look good, they're not very 'warm' in style, but are trendy and modern. The reception staff were helpful and good with directions.

It's about 5 minutes walk to the main shopping strip of Malaga. Parking wise though - beware. It's super tight to get in and around the cark park so be careful!

It didn't blow my mind, but it was clean, tidy and fine.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank karinski
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Great location, very clean and beautiful, great service and adecuate breakfast......but the shower has a cycle of every 30 seconds you go from warm to really, really cold to really hot and back to normal ....
Also the trash (you dont see it) is pick up in the street across the hotel every night between 12.00 and 12:30 am, very loud!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Willard F
Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed in Room Mate Lola two weeks ago (3 nights in a standard room) and really enjoyed our short stay.
The hotel has a great location, very close to the old town, approx. 5-10 minute walk from the train station on Alameda Principal (very handy, quick and cheap for getting to/from the airport) and within walking distance (5-15 mins) to a lot of attractions like Cathedral, marina, shopping area, Alcazaba etc. It also didn’t really feel like a red light district area, however it can become quite noisy at the weekends, at nighttime and early hours of the morning. There is a small family-run shop only 2 minutes from the hotel (round the corner) where you can get all your essentials (water, beer, snacks etc); we also found a great cute bakery/cafe nearby called Love Is Bakery, on Alameda Principal No.37, only 5 mins from the hotel - great cakes and cupcakes, fantastic place!
The standard room we had (no. 202) was lovely, clean and very comfortable even though may seem quite small. We had their buffet breakfast included in our rate and it was very tasty, adequate, with fresh products but quite limited choice (e.g. no hot food, no veg like tomatoes for sandwiches etc, but their Spanish omelette was absolutely to die for). We really liked their breakfast but if you prefer eating something new each morning, you may be disappointed.
The staff were nice and helpful (e.g. helped us book into flamenco show), but definitely lacked a bit of smile and warmer & friendlier approach to guests.
All in all we really enjoyed our stay in Room Mate Lola and would recommend this trendy modern hotel to others without hesitation, the value and great location that you’re getting is really hard to resist.
The things I can suggest to the management to work on are: offering a bit more choice at breakfast, providing tea & coffee facilities in rooms (it wasn’t possible to get a cup of tea in the afternoon, we were told they’ve no kettles to boil the water...) and staff being more friendly and engaging. My rating would’ve been higher if it wasn’t for those little things and touches that were missing and that are a must in a 4-star hotel; therefore only 3-stars today from me!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the staircase if possible. We didn't want to spend hours waiting for the ver...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Balkans
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I Chose this place for its high Tripadvisor rating.
On the first morning I went to get breakfast late, 10 Minutes before they closed the service.
I was greeted by hostile waiting staff who started my breakfast experience by taking the tray away containing coffee cups in the middle of me making coffee.
When I expressed my dissatisfaction the response was pretty much F@#K You! breakfast is finished. Whilst arguing with the waitress the waiter continued quickly clearing away everything in front of me before I had chance to help myself.
I wish I'd never bothered as the coffee I did eventually manage to sample was acrid! The remains of the buffet breakfast was disgusting and I wish I hadn't bothered at all!
This place is over rated with exceptionally ignorant and rude staff.
The manager did try to appologise a while later, but I was so wound up and annoyed over the whole episode that I was in no frame of mind for apologies. I cancelled our breakfast booking for the next two mornings and we ate out.
The rooms were of reasonable size and fairly comfortable.
The bathroom was reasonable with a shower that flooded the floor and either froze you or scalded you once you'd spent 5 minutes adjusting the control for acceptable temperature.
There were no bath robes or slippers.
Sound insulation in the room was extremely poor.
I certainly will not stay in this hotel or chain again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank jamestoo
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Clean and central located hotel with free wifi. For the price nothing to complain.

One can, however, already see that a lot of the interior and furniture is cheap. Even though the hotel cannot be that old yet, the furniture in the lounge and the carpets in the corridors show already substantial wear and tear.

Still. I recommend this hotel to anyone staying for a short time in Malaga. The train station for the train to the airport is literally three minutes away.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank fere0010
Dokkum
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Nice place to stay, just two steps away from the old city center and the bus to the airport. Also the railway station is just a fifteen walking minutes away.
Good beds, nice people. .............................................

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank j z