“Amazingly flexible, helpfull staff and beautiful area”
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #17 of 87 Hotels in Malaga
Budapest, Hungary
“Amazingly flexible, helpfull staff and beautiful area”
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We went on our honeymoon to Andalucia and spent two nights in Malaga at the Hotel California. The staff ended up upgrading us to a beautiful room with a balcony even though we had failed to ask for a room with a view and they were practically fully booked. They also helped us find places nearby. The room was very spacious and comfortable, with a five star bathroom, great paintings,and nice wooden furniture, giving the atmosphere of a Spanish mansion, which is what the hotel was earlier. We will definitely return!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tamas S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in November, 2011. We were facing a fairly busy street, but had an amazing view of the sea through the big bright windows in our 2nd floor room! The traffic did not disrupt our sleep ever. The roof top patio was a beautiful place to sit at night and look across to the water and see the stars.
The building felt authentically Spanish and was beautifully maintained. Our room was spacious and clean. The bathroom was a good size, with plenty of soap and clean towels. Floors are uncarpeted which I always think is so much cleaner, if a perhaps a little noisier. The king sized bed was two mattresses pushed together (I think that is more common in Europe) but was very comfortable.
Our breakfast was included and was more than enough food to start the day - juice, fruit, muesli, yogurt, croissants and other bread, jam, cold meats and cheese, as well as wonderful cafe au lait or tea.
The staff was always friendly, and willing to answer questions, call a cab, or whatever was needed. They spoke English much better than I speak Spanish and we never had a problem being understood.
The location was great - about 10 or 15 minutes to walk downtown, depending on where we were heading. We only used the bus once - to go up to the Gibralfaro Castle, but it was very handy. There is a good sized grocery store around the corner (with a large selection of wines) and the beach was a 5 minute walk.
We will most definitely stay here again if we are lucky enough to end up back in Malaga.

Room Tip: HIgher floors, facing the street have a nice ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank STRCanada
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Recently stayed for a 3 day long weekend. Was a pleasant and comfortable stay.

Location: Easy 10mins walk to the Malaga Park and historic city centre. One street back from the beach as well (quick 5 mins walk). The location was suitable and felt safe but was not really in the middle of anything. This was compensated by easy access by public bus – the number 11 stops right out front, with frequent services (every 10-15mins) and takes you to General Torrijos Square (the centre). Can also catch the “A” line to/from airport to the Square. Highly recommend this for €2 cost.

Paseo de Sancha is a busy road, so whilst you have great access to public transport at your doorstep, road noise was audible until the early hours of the morning.

Room: Nicely appointed room with fridge (no minibar), TV, desk, chair, safe. I also had a lovely patio with table and chairs with views out to the ocean.

The TV had numerous channels however none were in English.

Sleep Quality: Very comfortable bed with one good pillow. (My double bed was supplied with one pillow, wide enough for the whole bed – not sure how you would go if two people were sharing this pillow!).

I found my room rather noisy for sleeping though – noise from the road and noise from other guests in the adjoining room was very audible. The room doors can’t be closed quietly (meaning you end up slamming the door a little) so this intruded on a good nights sleep.

Given my room had a lovely patio, I did find it lighter than what I am used to.

Bathroom: Functional bathroom with toilet, bidet and shower over bath. Good water pressure and plenty of hot water. Adequate supply of towels. When the towels were replaced on the 2nd day, just 1 towel and hand towel were left for the sole occupier. I guess it felt a bit stingy! One of the clean towels on day 1 could have been a little better.

Food: B/fast is served to your table in the dining room. Consisted of juice, cereal, fruits, croissant/bread and spreads, cold meat and cheese, tea/coffee. I would definitely say an ample b/fast if this is to your liking and reasonably priced at €9

Service: staff were friendly and accommodating. They spoke a little English however I was understood most of the time.

Value for money: Good value for money at €66 per night including b/fast.

Other: Limited information is made available to you about the hotel upon check in – you just need to ask though as all staff are accommodating. Eg, I only became aware of the rooftop solarium after my visit!! The room was comfortable enough and general cleanliness was good – just not excellent. Wi-fi comes at a cost or you can use the internet in one of the lovely public rooms. The Hotel is lovely, colourful, charming and welcoming. My experience was good and was as advertised.

Room Tip: Room with balcony is great however is a little noisy.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank AussieKC03
Schweiz
Reviewed 6 November 2011

The California is close to the Malagueta (the beach AND the plaza de toros). The hotel is spacious and airy, it has a very generous atmosphere. Our room was nice and tidy, maybe a bit narrow for a suite but otherwise very nice. The bathroom was big and clean, although a wee bit smelly.
Good breakfast!
The staff were very kind and helpful and I'm sure we would have sortet the toilet problem out, but we only stayed one night and didn't take the time to mention it to the receptionist. All in all a pleasant experience.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We had seen this place before and liked the area.It is convenient by foot for the centre of town. Local buses( with some changes) take you all over town including the airport and train/bus station.There are plenty of eating options nearby and the beach is only three minutes away.It is however, a lousy place to park a car,so beware of high charges in local public car parks.
The team are really helpful and the rooms are very clean/comfortable with some quirky decor twists. Breakfast is ample.The sun deck on the roof is a great place to relax.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank juntemada
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I booked Hotel California just two days before travel as a budget getaway from the Great British Weather. I could not have been more delighted! Exactly what I was looking for. Spotlessly clean throughout, well equipped bathrooms with good hairdryers. Effective, quiet fridge and air con. Lovely decor, comfy beds.
Service is second to none. Nothing is too much trouble and staff were very helpful with my attempts to speak Spanish!
The room I initially had, tho perfectly adequate, had no balcony/view. I enquired about an upgrade and this was arranged the very next day, as soon as the room became available.
Beach just a few minutes walk and easy walk to town. Bus stop right outside hotel and good taxi service. Supermarket, pharmacy, tobacconist, newsagent, deli, bars and restaurants right on the doorstep. Perfecto! I will be back....!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Fantastic little hotel on the beach! Charming vintage building with well-maintained lobby and common areas. The rooms clean and comfortable with TV, closet and refrigerator. A few rooms even had small balconies or terraces to enjoy the view toward the ocean. The location is great too – about a block away from the beach and about a 10 minute walk to the city center. I felt this hotel was a great value (around 70 Euro per night – in Oct. 2011), great location and great room. I would stay here again!

Room Tip: I would see if you can get one facing the ocean with a balcony!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple