Hotel California
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Great 4.5/5
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsminute walkthree brothershotel is beautifully decoratedgeneration familya lovely family run hotelyogurtbus stop right outside the hotelsea viewclean and spacious roomsnice rooftop terracebeach and city centrebreakfast is servedbreakfast was amazingstay there againnew marinathe busbalcony room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We have just returned from a short 5 night break at this hotel. We had two double rooms, a bathroom and a balcony. The room was very quiet and the beds very comfortable. We had a small fridge. The only thing that could have improved our stay would have been a tea and coffee making facilities in the room (hence only 4 stars and not 5). The staff were very helpful and friendly. This was our first time in Malaga and we would definitely go back and would stay at the Hotel California.
Having stayed at an expensive hotel in the UK prior to our flight where we had to pay for WiFi, the free use of WiFi at HC was very welcome.
All in all I would recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ojs
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I have just returned from this hotel where I stayed for 10 days. The hotel is nice, family owned, with helpfull staff. With the reservation, I asked for the quiet room far from the stairs, lift and street and I got it. The room on the 3rd floor was small, but very clean and quiet. Fridge, air-conditioning, hairdrier, flat TV, bathtube, bidet, towels changed every day, soaps, this all make it far more then 2stars hotel. Breakfast was very good, although a bit monotematic if you stay for 10 days. Malagueta beach is just about few minues walk, if you prefer sandy beach, you can take bus in front of the hotel (line 11), to El Palo beach, great for families with children. It is about 15minutes walk to the city/harbor, which is modern and very nice. We used to walk always to Paseo del Parque (15mins) and took bus (3,4) to the train or bus station. Easy access to Granada, Ronda, Sevilla, etc. makes it great location for further exploring Andalusia. But also in Malaga there is a lot to see. All bus lines cost 1.2eur, ticket to be purchased at driver. City was very safe, even in the nights, the hotel is located in a good location with villas, clinics, etc. Supermarket is just behind the corner, you can buy everything there. Sundays closed. I recommend this hotel, much better then 2 starts, would stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Zuzkazuz
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Close to the beach and the new yacht harbour. All busses to the city center stop in front of the hotel. It's only a 10 minutes drive. Pleasant, inviting lobby, friendly staff and good modern furnished rooms. We had some sea-view from our room. Great price/quality ratio. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Higher floors on the front side have some sea-view
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Roland B
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Hotel California is up a flight of stairs from a main road (still only one lane each way, so traffic noise is really not a problem) and a 4 minute walk from the beach. There is a great grocery store around the corner with snacks, drugstore and deli items, and wine. We took the bus a couple of times which is only 1.20 euro or so, but the walk is actually quite nice and doesn't take long to get into town. You walk through a beautiful park area to get there and even at night it feels safe and is well-lit. I probably wouldn't walk it all alone late, but with a friend or group would be totally fine.

Our room was quite small, but two beds and a very clean bathroom was all we needed so this fit the bill. Breakfast included was a served affair. Always the same: fresh fruit, oatmeal, yogurt, some meat and cheese, and coffee. We filled up easily, but be patient. It's not something you can grab in a hurry.

Wifi access was annoying. Always available, but we had to keep getting these absurdly complicated codes that were good for a couple of hours at a time. Sounds okay except that you have to remember to sign off or the clock keeps ticking.

The roof top deck was fantastic and beautiful with loungers and a shaded swing. We spent a lot of time out there and no other guests came up.

All in all, Hotel California was a great value for the 76 euro or so we spent per night. We booked via their website for the first night and at the front desk for subsequent nights and felt we got a great deal.

One thing I had trouble finding prior to arriving in Spain was information on renting beach loungers. I was happy to find that they are only 4 euro per lounger per day at pretty much every vendor. I was able to negotiate down once in the afternoon. This includes some shade from an umbrella if you prefer. There are beachside bars and people walking around with coolers selling cold drinks (1-2 euro for beer, soda, etc). The bars also sold food which was quite good. I could have done without all the topless sunbathers, but the vibe was pretty good and safe. No bothersome vendors or unsavory types, mostly families.

I should point out that the beach wasn't nearly as busy as reports indicated it would be in August. There was always available space and wide expanses with very few towels or loungers.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank jeanasalman
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I would definitely return to the Hotel California! This family-owned business knows how to create a comfortable, clean and quiet place to stay near the beach. Small grocery, restuarants, El Alcazaba and the beach are near by--within a short walk. The breakfast was excellent and served in a very personable fashion. The staff was quite willing to answer any and all questions I had about the area. I am only hoping that when I return to Malaga, I can stay at the Hotel California once again!

Stayed: July 2012