“Lovely Spanish Hotel”

Ranked #17 of 90 Hotels in Malaga
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Lovely Spanish Hotel”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This Hotel is situated in a lovely part of Malaga ,just a lovely 5/10 minute walk away from Centre of Town .Wonderful Spanish feel to this Hotel .Its spotless and fantastic value .
The staff are very friendly and the room I occupied in my stay was superb with a lovely view looking onto the main street with the beach a few minutes away in the background .
If you made this Hotel your base while exploring the Beautiful Malaga ,you would not be disappointed

Room Tip: 202 or 302 are good rooms
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 26 March 2014

What a wonderful, quaint hotel this is, the staff were so kind and friendly.
Fantastic price and a great location, I shall definitely be staying here again.
The rooms were spotless clean and nicely decorated.
Wifi Internet was fast and I have no complaints about this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Montyljo
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed for 4 nights in September 2013, as part of a twin-centre holiday - a week in Granada and 5 days in Malaga.

We chose the Hotel California based on the good price, location & the fact that it was a small, seemingly family-run place, rather than one of the hideous high-rise tower blocks that dominate Malaga. We were not disappointed!

Upon arrival, we were greeted by an older chap who was friendly and welcoming. I don't believe we were offered help with taking our bags up to the room, but as there was a lift this was hardly a problem (and at least we were saved that awkward moment when a porter waits for a tip). The same gentleman helped us check-out and arranged a taxi for us with no fuss at all. Although we didn't take any day trips while we were in Malaga (as it was intended as a lazy few days after the busy city of Granada) there was plenty of information about these available from reception and we got the impression that these could be arranged through the staff too.

Our room was front-facing, looking over the terrace and road, with views of the sea through the buildings in front. We had a small-ish balcony which we made full use of. There was quite a bit of noise from the road, but it wasn't invasive and once the patio doors were closed we barely noticed it. The room itself was a good size, clean and pleasant, with lots of storage space and a safe in the wardrobe. Bedding & towels were changed every day.

The beach is a 5 minute walk, which involves crossing the road in front of the hotel and another busier road. This didn't bother us in the slightest, but might be worth bearing in mind for those travelling with children. There were plenty of bars and restaurants within 10 minutes walk, the marina was a pleasant 10 minute walk and the town centre more like 15 minutes - we made use of the shaded park as a route to town avoiding the midday sun. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel if you don't fancy the walk. The airport is a 20 minute taxi ride away (buses are available but we decided we'd spend the same on two lots of bus fare and take at least three times as long to get there).

We didn't eat breakfast in the hotel so couldn't comment on that, although the terrace where it seemed to be served was lovely - despite overlooking the road it was sheltered by plants and flowers which smelled beautiful.

I'd recommend the Hotel California to anyone wanting a good, cheap hotel away from the main tourist centre of Malaga but still close to restaurants and the beach.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amy I
Kent, Texas
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The Hotel California was a nice alternative to impersonal lodging options that you find in so many places. Located a short distance from the coast along a fairly busy street, It is about 1km to the central part of town, but broad sidewalks and the Alameda make the walk easy. Our rooms were clean, spacious, and nicely decorated. The bathroom is modern, large, and clean. We were served a large breakfast (not a buffet) and all items were of a uniformly high quality: the orange juice was flavorful, the cured ham and the local cheese were tasty, the croissants and rolls were fresh, coffee au lait was good. We were not charged for internet service - ask for a password at the desk.

The hotel staff were friendly, especially at breakfast when they told us a bit about the hotel.

We were able to park in the hotel's underground parking garage for Euro 14; based on our experience, make a reservation for parking in advance (I don't think I ever saw any available street parking in the neighborhood, let alone free street parking that was mentioned by another reviewer).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Asta365
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is a really beautiful hotel. The last night of my holiday I thought I'll splurge, and this was a great place to do it, the room was huge, it was clean and decorated to a high spec, comfy bed, great shower. Its easily in walking distance of the centre of Malaga for food, drinks and shopping, it also seemed close to the beach, although I couldn't swear to it as I didn't have time to go. However, a couple of things let this place down for me.... 1) it advertised having free parking, on arrival I had stopped just in front of the hotel which seemed (in spanish) to say it was prohibited to park except for residents of this hotel, but the women who checked me in told me i couldn't park there for any length of time, I was told there was a parking space charged at 14 euros a night, the rest of the street was parked up so felt i was backed in to a corner to accept having to pay; 2) it advertised having free WiFi thoughout the hotel, its not free its 0.8euros an hour, which considering other hotels charge a third of the cost/room/night and have free wifi i felt really let down, especially after the parking issue, i started to feel they were trying to fleece me as much as possible for every cent; and 3) breakfast, whilst the guy on reception who served me breakfast was realy friendly and polite and there wasn't anything particularly wrong with the food, I wasn't asked what i wanted, just brought out all manner of things to eat, a bowl of meusli (which i don't like and would've liked an alternative to), a bowl of melon and pineapple (would've preferred pineapple), a pot of unflavoured natural yoghurt (boring on its own, wouldv'e preferred a flavoured yoghurt), a croissant, a bread roll, a plate of cheese and salami, a glass of orange and a (very)small pot of coffee....it sounds a lot i know, and it sounds picky of me maybe, but a lack of choice about what i might have liked as perhaps a replacement to the muesli or being able to opt out of it, and the feeling of embarrassment and that I was being ungreatful, because I didn't actually want half of what was laid before me, meant i wished i just hadn't bothered with the 9euros it cost.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Matthew B
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel seems very good at a first glance. Then bit by bit you start discovering it does not offer all what it promised. Starting with charging you for internet use while on the website was mentioned it was for free, a cleaning lady who does not touch the bath and leaves the towels next to your bedroom to the receptionist with the attitude...

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank Jasie H
West Sussex
Reviewed 30 September 2013

A trip to Malaga will only be enhanced by staying at the Hotel California. A quirky and historic building in a great location seconds from the sea and minutes from the best this fabulously underrated city has to offer. The staff were unfailingly and cheerfully helpful. The breakfast, as has been noted in other reviews, is plain but plentiful and well worth the extra euros.

Room Tip: 304 is a room with a view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple