“Please don't waste your money here. Worst place I have ever eaten.”
Review of El Pimpi

El Pimpi
Ranked #106 of 2,267 Restaurants in Malaga
Price range: US$12 - US$25
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centro
Description: This emblematic wine cellar built in an old house from the 18th century is a meeting place for people of all ages. It has welcomed many generations of artists, flamenco dancers or politicians. It is named after formerly popular city figures called 'los pimpis', young people who had helped ship crews or passengers and had become the first city guides. It is furnished in the style of Malaga, and offers local wines and delicious gastronomy which is very popular in the city. The soul of the restaurant is the lounge with the vintage wine barrels, signed by famous people, such as the family Picasso, the painter Barcelo, the bullfighter Cordobes, The Duchess of Alba, Carmen Thyssen and Antonio Banderas, who show the historical value of this place. This establisment is in the old town of Malaga, next to the Museum Picasso, La Alcazaba (the Citadel of Malaga) and the Roman Theatre.
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is the first time I have written a review on trip advisor, although I have been to many restaurants & eat out regularly I have never been so disappointed with a place that I want to write a review. The food is of very poor quality, the thing that upset me the most was that I ordered Fried mozzarella & when it arrived to my table it was fried goats cheese, I then told the waiter it was not mozzeralla & this resulted in me being surrounded by four waiters telling me I was wrong. They were incredibly rude, especially a waiter named Miguel. My partner ordered chicken which was grisly & full of tendons. There are so many nice places to eat in Malaga, please don't make the same mistake we did, do not go by the good or excellent reviews as it is the worst place I have eaten.

Write a ReviewReviews (9,921)

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We arrived at this place around 2PM and there was only 2 table vacant. We ordered drinks and a selection of Tapas. The staff were very busy but efficient. There was a "buzz" about the place.The food was tasty, Worth a visit

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Definitely a place to experience. crowded especially at night. I was encouraged to try it when reading the reviews on TripAdvisor and i don't regret it at all. I do not agree that the service is poor but believe me when the place is full and dozens of people are waiting outside to be seated you can imagine the stress of the staff!

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Very slow service from overstressed staff. Had to ask twice for cutlery and twice (!) for the bill. This is the typical tourist trap that should be avoided.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The place was recommended to us by a taxi driver. The entrance from the old town side does not give anything away when it comes to how big the place is. It is once of the biggest restaurants we saw in old town. It looked like they had two or three separate kitchens. We sat outside on a particularly hot evening and the atmosphere was awesome. Even though they were almost to capacity inside and out, the waiters were always on the ball. We didnt have to wait for much. We had a mix of mains and tapas and we were all really happy with the food. Prices are above average probably but worth it. When we got talking to the waiter and he found out we were a table of Portuguese and South African's celebrating special occasions out came the free shooters and free deserts one after the other. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone walking around Old Town looking for a little bit of everything.