“STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE”

Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This was our second visit to Messina, however we did not enjoy this visit as much as the last. The dining room is disappointing and lacks atmosphere even when full as it was on the night of our visit. My wife and I were going to have the tasting menu however with so many strong fish elements to the menu we ordered from the main menu. We had a delicious duck tartar, a very underwhelming crayfish tartar with coconut foam and small pieces of pig cheek in a nice broth which was lovely. We both took a fancy for our main course of neck of baby goat with pickled veg, unfortunately it was bland and tasteless. To finish we shared a bon-bon in banana cream, it consisted of 4 tiny bon-bon’s smaller than a malteser in a tablespoon of banana cream. We played safe with our wine and had a pleasant bottle of Muga. The total bill was 150€ excluding service, we left a good tip as the service itself was excellent.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I always make a point of seeking out a Michelin restaurant, whichever town I happen to be holidaying in.

I had high hopes for the Messina. When I actually got there, I struggled to find any starter I wanted. 'Baby goat's neck' is not really something I ever want to see on a menu!

The staff were very pleasant, but only had pre learnt phrases of English. When I asked them about the different oils we were served to taste... They ran out of phrases.

The crayfish starter was delivered and we were told how to eat it, but actually didn't understand what we were being told, after repetition.

I speak several languages and have rarely not been able to make myself understood.

The sea bass was small and uninspiring. The ravioli was however good. Desserts left us wanting too.

This was a very expensive evening. I don't object to paying Micheling prices, but I do expect more in terms of decor, location, service and ingenuity of food

1  Thank Mozburger
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Recently visited this restaurant with three other people. The moment we arrived it was such a fantastic experience. The décor is smart, staff charming and knowledgeable. The food was outstanding. The cutlery, glasses and plates etc were top quality and different. The place is spotlessly clean and the food was amazing. You just have to go if you are in Marbella it is a wonderful place.

1  Thank AnnKB
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Greeted by two beautiful and attentive waitresses. Decor spacious and attractive. Starched linen napkins, interesting silver metal menu cases, all china and glass were of excellent quality. Food delicately presented, tasty morsels as pre meal, two different flavours of oils for good bread dipping. Good menu choices. Cooking of a high standard. All very enjoyable and to be recommended.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

By far the best service I have ever experienced in a restaurant. Such minute attention to every detail from the outside to the inside it has a very contemporary, open-plan, minimalist feel, which nicely prepares the palette. Everything from food presentation to the taste was perfect. We had the 'Sushi de-fusion' (Tuna sashimi)i to start, which was exceptional, followed by the Fish in an ridiculously tasty pistachio sauce, with banana bonbon to follow for dessert. EXQUISITE! Would highly recommend Messina for the finest dining experience with the best service and diverse flavours you will ever come across. A great way to end our holidays. Thank You!

2  Thank mjosephalerts