“Very bad experience”

Puente Romano Beach Resort & Spa Marbella
Ranked #6 of 70 Hotels in Marbella
“Very bad experience”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

As a leader guest member (leading hotels of the world "LHW") i try stay in hotels belonging to LHW as they are usually comfortable 5 stars hotels with good service. I previously had a great experience at Marbella's Gran Melia Don Pepe but wanted to try this time Puente Romano because it belongs to LHW. What a bad decision!! Everything went wrong so i shorten my stay and run away (to stay at Gran Melia Don Pepe). Everything was awful (unfriendly staff at check in who don't know how to smile, unfriendy staff at restaurants and pool who make a great job at avoiding you, noisy room - junior suite - so far away from the pools and beach with a poor view). Avoid this place which is so poorly managed!!

• Stayed April 2014
9 Thank Olivier O
PuenteRomano M, Director General at Puente Romano Beach Resort & Spa Marbella, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Guest,
we are sorry that you had a bad experience.
We would however be interested to know exactly how you feel management let you down.

We make every attempt to be friendly and help our guests, and if you feel the staff were unfriendly please tell us confidentially who it was.

We are surprised you feel the way you have described as many other guests have commented and found exactly quite the opposite.
By opening our new facilities and restaurants the client experience will be enhanced in the future.

Once again our apologies that we were not to your taste and satisfaction.

manzur@puenteromano.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I must admit I was quite excited to spend 4 days at Puente Romano, 5 stars Grand Luxury Hotel, on the beach near Marbella... I could write a very long list of everything that went wrong -everything, basically- but this is actually the 1st time I feel I have to write a review in order to help everybody who could be tempted to avoid making the same mistake than me... DON'T GO THERE!!!!
This place is NOT managed whatsoever, NO service, very noisy, unfriendly staff doing a very good job avoiding you, it can take up to 30 mns to beg for a menu or someone taking your order or helping you find a table or a towel, the rooms ( I had a junior suite) nice size but view only on other concrete bungalows, very poor layout of the numerous buildings, very long walk to actually even see the beach, small pools, and overall not cheap at all either.
Avoid, avoid, avoid.
Gran Melia is a much better option.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Geoffroy M
PuenteRomano M, Director General at Puente Romano Beach Resort & Spa Marbella, responded to this review, 25 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. I am very sorry to hear of your recent disappointment in our hotel and services. We assure you that guest satisfaction is our top priority and we want the service at our Hotel to reflect that principle.

I can assure you that Puente Romano is driven by the authenticity of its botanic gardens and the true Andalucian architecture as well as the wide gastronomic Restaurants for every taste. Of course everyone is entitled to have different opinion of their favorite places and hotels and we respect yours entirely.

I will be delighted to speak to you personally and convince you of our best intentions. We would never wish to lose the confidence of our valued guests and on behalf of the entire team we hope to have the opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Jorge Manzur,

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We visited the hotel in July 2013 for my wife's and my father in laws birthday. Before visiting we checked Tripadvisor and saw that there was some construction. The hotel reassured us several times that it would be completed by the time we arrived. It wasn't and the noise was terrible. The hotel kindly refunded part of what we paid, and offered a dinner plus a 5 night voucher to return.

We returned this month (April 2014) and to our surprise, many parts of the hotel were under construction. Hammering, drilling, digging for all 5 days. The hotel didn't inform us of this, so we have wasted the cost of 4 flights, and he hotel has refused to refund what we spent on food and drink there, which is what I have requested. They are instead offering 3 free nights back at the hotel.

The manager, Jorge Manzur, seems dismissive of our concerns and is even suggesting that our complaint is about the closure of 2 out of 3 swimming pools. We have never even mentioned this. Only the very loud noise throughout the resort, which ruined our holiday.

This is very sad because the construction work finished the day we left and the hotel could have avoided these problems by informing us before we booked.

I hope they will now do the right thing and refund the food/drink costs (I am writing off the flight costs myself).

A real shame.

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank damiancollier
PuenteRomano M, Director General at Puente Romano Beach Resort & Spa Marbella, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Mr. Collier,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We appreciate and value your feedback, and regret that your experience and the steps we took to compensate did not live up to the high standards that we set for ourselves.

During your stay we were enhancing our Hotel and general facilities, and worked with our team to minimize any inconvenience.

We strive to provide our guests with an exceptional stay and personalized service from arrival to departure. I am disappointed to hear that this was not your experience. I would appreciate the opportunity to personally discuss your recent visit with us.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Have been going to this hotel off and on for over twenty years and it is still the same high standard. A 5 star hotel set in beautiful lush tropical grounds. There are various restaurants to choose from, Italian, Japanese, Tapas, Fish on site. There are bars to snack at by the pools, bars, a gym, tennis courts with expert coaching if you require. Puerto Banus is a short drive away or Marbella town. Set by the sea, the service is excellent, there are rooms, suites or entire villas if you so wish.
Always busy - always enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
PuenteRomano M, Director General at Puente Romano Beach Resort & Spa Marbella, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such wonderful feedback following your recent visit to The Puente Romano . I am delighted to read how highly you valued the services from our team, as well as all our restaurants, gardens and the rest of the amenities in the Hotel.

I have shared your feedback with all the team and I look forward to welcoming you back again hopdfully very soon.

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We have booked 15 days at Easter in a one bedroom suite at substantial cost. We book a suite to make things a little easier, because we have a small child who goes to bed at 8pm and we need somewhere to sit and eat in the evenings (as opposed to sitting in silence in the dark).

I call the hotel to make sure everything is fine this morning before our trip on Friday. This is the conversation:

Me: We booked with Amex, can you confirm breakfast and a complimentary dinner is included please?

Hotel: We will confirm that when you get here.

Me: We are staying for a long time (15 days) and we have booked a suite can you confirm that it has a separate bedroom and could I request a refurbished room given the length of our stay?

Hotel: You will get a separate bedroom but as to whether it's refurbished or not ... No guarantees. Some have better furniture, some bathrooms, we can't promise anything.

I hang up because I was very close to cancelling the booking. I have not yet been to the hotel and they have already given me a terrible first impression.

I don't think this level of service or unhelpfulness is acceptable at all when you pay such high prices.

I am disappointed. I wish the lady that answered the phone would quit her job and give it to someone that really wants it instead ...

Stayed April 2014
6 Thank Cristina R
PuenteRomano M, Director General at Puente Romano Beach Resort & Spa Marbella, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

We would love to reply to this user of TripAdvisor but we cannot respond to an anonymous comment.

For understandable reasons it is impossible to follow up on complaints unless we know the name of the person making the claims, so we can check if the facts are correct and do a thorough follow up.

I would be very happy if you wish to contact me directly and with pleasure I would attend to all your questions and concerns personally.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

My friend and I have just returned from a lovely girly weekend and have to say we had a fabulous time, despite the renovations, which sadly were all completed the day after we left!!
We arrived and were told our room wasn't ready, we went to the beach restaurant and had a light late lunch,we then returned to reception and were taken by golf buggy to our suite, which was spacious,comfortable,with a lovely big terrace and large bathroom.
We ate that night in serafina the italian restaurant, we were greeted by the polished,charming front of house team and made to feel special and extremely welcome.
The food was absolutely delicious,particularly my wild boar pasta which was exceptional,we chose a bottle of Chablis premier cru which at under €50 was a bargain, the atmosphere was lively and fun,with the slickest service,a great first night!!
The next day we went to the pool by the beach,we managed to get sunbeds even though it was extremely busy,due to half term and only one of the three hotel pools open because of the renovations,down side the pool was full of children with inflatables,also slightly under staffed that day.
We also ate at the sea grill which is so beautifully decorated,a glorious light open space comfortably furnished.
We had cocktails at the bar and were given menus to peruse whilst waiting for our table,again charming service,so attentive.
We both had lobster & crab salad to start, which was very good,my friend had tandoori monkfish and I had seared tuna which was sublime.
We had coffees and were given a stand full of gorgeous petit fours a perfect ending to a meal,although I have to an expensive one,especially compared to serafina.
Each morning we had breakfast brought to our room to enjoy on the terrace,the room service was swift and excellent quality.
The morning of our departure I called reception to ask for a late checkout as we wanted to make the most of our last day,no problem we were told we could checkout at 2pm!
To sum up,the hotel is so pretty all low rise white apartments set in beautiful,fragrant botanical gardens,wonderful staff and seriously good food.
The only negatives were the pools being closed at the time of our visit and the shower which isn't very powerful.
That said I will definitely return, its a lovely place.

Room Tip: Choose a suite away from the main hotel as the disco can go on until very late.. Ones by the beach a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Deborah Menta M
Dear guest,

Thank you for your excellent review of The Puente Romano and for awarding us with a top score! I am extremely pleased that we met and exceeded most your expectations and that we provided comfortable accommodation as well as hight level satisfactory service.

As you may already know the Hotel has been undergoing new projects to ensure the guests of the Hotel have more enjoyment and adventure inside the resort. I hope you will return with your friends and see all our new installations. I am certain the new changes will make your stay even more fun!

On behalf of the entire team wish you a nice Easter and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you soon to Puente Romano.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

This is a very good hotel. The rooms spacious, the staff excellent and the restaurants excellent. The grounds are beautifully laid out and it is easy to stay there without feeling the need to leave the hotel grounds. Downsides, the bedroom are a bit tired, the jacuzzi element of the bath didn't work and the showers really should match the quality of the rest of the bedroom. Also why are the toilet and bidet so low? But these are really minor niggles. Tip, try the gourmet burger at the restaurant on the beach. Not quite sure why I ordered it given the range of seafood etc on the menu, but I did and it was the best I can remember having.

Hotel is undergoing a refurbishment but it is being done with minimum disturbance to guests. A new restaurant is being added which sounds superb.

Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but is still value for money.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marcus K
PuenteRomano M, Director General at Puente Romano Beach Resort & Spa Marbella, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your descriptive review of Puente Romano and for awarding us five stars. I am so pleased that your experience with our services was satisfying and you have enjoyed the food in our Restaurants. Our chef and his team are extremely happy with your encouraging remarks.

Our number one priority is to ensure that our guests are made to feel special and that they take away with them nothing but wonderful memories and all the team are thrilled that we achieved this for you.

The works that are currently taking place in the Hotel will be over by the end of next week and the guests will be able to enjoy our new installations.

I do hope you will return and allow us to demonstrate once again our hospitality on your next visit.