“Absolutely fabulous - We won't holiday anywhere else!”

Marbella Club Hotel
Ranked #3 of 70 Hotels in Marbella
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fabulous - We won't holiday anywhere else!”
Reviewed 7 September 2011

My husband and I took our 4 year old son for a week and had an amazing holiday. We have been before but not with our son and we had forgotten how wonderful this hotel is. The setting is superb with a luxury feel yet allowing for a relaxed holiday. Our son went to the kids club for a couple of mornings and really enjoyed it, they put on different acitivities everyday for them and even swapped arrangements round to suit you if you requested something different. We find it hard to get a hotel that caters for both our desire to be in luxury surrounds with a real touch of class, and allows our son to actually have fun. The beach is wonderful and the pools are superb.

We had an excutive room close to the top pool which was beautiful. The breakfast were truly wonderful and there is more than enough choice for all tastes. The outside bar and restaurant in the evening is candlelit and like something out of a film set and you are surrounded by history. The service is also excellent and nothing is too much trouble.

The hotel is brilliantly placed for both Marbella and Puerto Banus so you can eat out here which is nice to add some variety to the holiday.

We can't recommend it enough and will definately be returning next year!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
CAGP, Director of Sales at Marbella Club Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review, we are very glad to hear about your stay at the Marbella Club and that you and your family enhjoyed so much, especially your 4 years old son at the Lions Club.

We hope to welcome you again very soon, with best regards.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Stayed in August with family. Beautiful setting but never felt totally welcome or that I was getting value for the top dollar we paid. Staff feigned caring and trying to help, but they never were able to offer concrete solutions. Gym was far away and impossible to find--I never did find it. Wait staff just going through motions. We lost power at midnight. Cleaning staff in their haste to complete turn down service swept up with the dirty laundry a special pillow my 12 year old had brough from home (luckily it was recovered the next day). Our package included a spa service for everyone--staff was downright nasty to our 16 year old son and made us feel like outsiders. No water available anywhere unless your were willing to pay 7 euros. I assume hotel will respond to this post with a typical nice and stock response and possibly cast me as hard to please. I have traveled extensively and stayed at very nice properties--never have I paid so much and felt so uncomfortable and not cared for. You may stay for the beauty and possible the cache--you won't stay for the service, caring or value.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank david d
CAGP, Director of Sales at Marbella Club Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
Dear Guest,

Please allow me to address directly your comment pointing out that the Hotel will respond to your review with a typical nice and stock response and possibly cast you as hard to please.

We take very seriously your comments and all the guests comments due they help us to understand what we are doing wrong and what we are doing right,so please allow me to take very good note to all your comments and bring them to the attention of the next Executive Board in order to resolve them if apply, such as providing complimentary water in all the rooms daily, not only at arrival and ensuring that all guests are charmed by our Team,

Also with all due respect, we would not cast anyone, we are just Hoteliers that do our best in order to make your stay memorable, that is what we work for and in many cases, specially at the Marbella Club, it is also our passion.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We booked the Marbella club with the anticipation that it was the best beach fronted hotel in the south costal Spain region with an enviable history and reputation and this was to be our family two week summer holiday. We booked one of the private villas which at 3000 Euros per day is expensive but having stayed at villa type hotels around the world this seemed to be the best we could find. We had booked for two weeks in august.
One arrival after a totally unsatisfactory taxi journey, organised by the hotel and at 165 euro we felt ripped off because of the intended exclusive destination. We were deposited at the reception entrance where no one greeted us. The check in was unfriendly, uninformative and totally unwelcoming for a hotel of such supposed stature.
The villa was well presented but the view from the garden was of a huge wall, at 3000 per day I would have expected a sea view, or at least any view!!
The internet failed for three days. The service was highly overpriced and the waiter service was sullen and uninspiring.
The advertised gym and tennis courts were in a sister hotel some 500mtrs plus away
After one day of the pool use our youngest daughters blond hair had gone green due to the high chlorine/mineral content in the water and the inadequate pool filtration system, The hotel ‘guest relations’ tried to help but were totally useless. We eventually went to a local hairdresser and purchased an appropriate neutralising shampoo.
We had a buffet meal on the first day, which was very good but the bill was 300 Euros, excessive for what it was.
After four days of this we decided that this was a hotel living on its past reputation and not focused on being in the 21st century, but charging 21st century prices and more. We have stayed in hotel all over the world and I have had better quality service in a Holiday Inn.
I would not recommend the Marbella club to anyone for anything other than a short weekend break for the experience and even then you may need a loan for lunch!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank paul g
Dear Guest,

First of all apologies for the unpleasant situation with your daughter hair, we are constantly checking the levels of Chlorine in the garden pool to make sure they are reduced to a minimum and this event does not happen anymore.

We also take good note on your concern about the Villas view, and we understand that you would expect a sea view, but at Marbella Club most of the rooms are located on the gardens, including the Villas. Just 11 rooms and 3 suites are located right by the sea.

All in all, we understand that your experience was not pleasant at all, and we will review all your point of dissatisfaction in order to improve the Marbella Club experience and make it better.

With best regards

Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 7 July 2011

The hotel is very nice and perfect for a minibreak.
The staff (mostly) are friendly and willing to assist despite the language barrier. (I speak English).
However the needs to be a review of the security especially in the Villas, which is where I stayed, because they are a bit isolated from the rest of the hotel.
A few quid was nicked of my wallet we were unable to unravel this mystery to date.
This was reported to the hotel management and I hope it will serve as motivation to have them improve on the security.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review, It is quite new to us, even if the Hotel has more than 50 years of History, to be consider a Rural Hotel being located right by the Mediterranean Sea between Marbella Town and Puerto Banus.

We take good note of your comments about the Security and we will review if we have had any issues of this kind during the month of your stay, and we'll make sure we will contact you with a solution.

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Firstly the good points - the staff at this hotel are great and can't do enough for you; the onsite restaurants are very nice, however unfortunately the room service menu lacks anything exciting or regional - we didn't go to Spain to eat burgers, hotdogs and pizza! The pools are nice, and again the plentiful staff make it very easy by always supplying towels and drinks as required. The negatives; usually in similar resorts the "high priced" (i.e. €3,000+ per night) villas have one of the best locations in the resort, a nice view and exceptional facilities - here while internally they are fine, the location, backing onto a rear lane and over looking garages without any view is very disappointing - you could probably find a lot better value (the rooms are a lot cheaper and a better location so this point is mainly about the villas). Secondly while billed as family friendly, it wasn't very "friendly" when we were there, mainly due to some (majority) of the other guests clearly disliking the fact that children exist on the same planet as them. Even quiet well-behaved children were getting dirty looks and in one case another guest stormed away from the KIDS pool because the children were laughing and playing (relatively quietly, no splashing etc.). Lot's of gaudy gold jewelry, too small bikinis on too old people and lot's of looking down the nose (even though I think we had the most expensive villa in the resort!). The location is good for the region, but having been to the some of the best beaches in Australia, the Pacific islands and the caribbean this beach doesn't even rate. Also another small negative, but annoying none the less, is you can't use the free wifi with an iPhone or iPad as it requires a special login that doesn't function on these devices. Overall it was a nice holiday but we wouldn't return as for spending that much money we've had much better holidays elsewhere and without so many grumpy egomaniacal guests.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the villas
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank swisssimonc
CAGP, Director of Sales at Marbella Club Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2011
Dear Guest,

We thank you very much for your review of the Marbella Club and understand your opinion regarding the location of the Villas.

Please note that we feature 2, 3 and 5 bedrooms Villas, being the 3 and 5 bedrooms Villas located in a much quieter area of the Hotel and the 2 bedrooms Villas right on the heart of it.

Some of our guests love the quiet location and privacy of the 3 and 5 bedrooms Villas and others love the location of the 2 bedrooms, that depends on their preference, which we try to understand when booking the Hotel, but again, we totally understand your opinion.

Regarding the KIDS, they are very welcomed at the Marbella Club and they really enjoy the Hotel and the Lions Club (Kids Club), and we agree, they behave super well when staying at the Marbella Club...about your perception of other guests not enjoying the kids I guess that can happen almost everywhere and I hope you understand it is difficult to deal with.

We also take good note of the issue regarding the WIFI for iphones and ipads and we are taking inmediate action to solve it.

We thank you sincerely for your time in writing this review and hope to welcome you again to the Marbella Club.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2011

After having a city break in Madrid, we were excited to spend some quality time by the sea in Marbella where we could relax and sunbathe. However, the weather did not agree with us and it rained constantly for 3 days. As much as the weather leaving much to be desired for, the hotel itself is beauitful. Full of palm trees and wild flowers, it is magnificent. The breakfast is good, not amazing but not too bad, Spanish ones are never that good! The 2 lunches available were not great though because there is either the small little pool bar next to the small 2nd pool or the main restaurant but unfortunately it was 75 euros per peson!! Because of the bad weather, the hotel were extremely kind and allowed us to leave early without any charge. I think the hotel is beautiful in sunshine, but disastrous in rain because everything is outside and you stay in villas. Overall, if the weather had been good, then I believe the whole experience would be and I would stay there again if I return to Marbella.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time and review of the Hotel, we appreciate you enjoyed the grounds and your comments about the rain are very accurate, the Hotel does not shine in its maximum when it rains, but fortunately it happens only 40 days per year, anyhow we are sorry that it happened during your stay.

On your next visit I suggest you as an alternative for the Beach Club lunch of the Pool bar, the MC Cafe, which is a very nice brasserie open for lunch and dinner where you will find both guests and locals in a very nice atmosphere.

We hope to welcome you very soon and hopefully in a sunny lovely weather,

With best regards

common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,118 helpful votes
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I've just returned from a four day break at Marbella Club, without my family. I tended to remain and dine on the property. Marbella Club hotel is an oasis and by Spanish standards, is the best there is. The buffet in the beach club still remains terrific after all these years. In summer the fish restaurant on the beach is very good although booking is essential. Lazing around reading a book can be accomplished: by the pool in the beach club with superb waiter service; on the beach by the beach club also with waiter service; further along the beach by the MC restaurant or by the upper pool which is nearer reception and also provides waiter service. The quality of food, service and accommodation is worth the cost, which some may find expensive but at least you get what you pay for.

I actually believe that the restaurants are all well worth the cost when compared with the best restaurants in the area.....and it's safe.

There is a sister hotel along the road called Puento Romano. One can visit and charge drinks/meals etc to your Marbella Club room. My wife visited last year with one of our children and had an awful time at Robertos. I visited last Thursday evening and was served the worst Bellini ever in their main cocktail bar.....caused by whatever the awfull bottled juice is they are adding to the champagne at the same time as listening to a bad pianist who kept making mistakes accompanying a 4th rate singer who murdered "At Last" which is the theme song of Sandy Lane in Barbados. I then walked down to Roberto's, the hotel's restaurant by the beach and was treated so badly by the Maitre 'd that I walked out and drove back to Marbella Club Hotel. By comparison, Marbella Club Hotel was bliss. I first sat in their outside Grille bar and drank a first rate cocktail with listening to their superb pianist and a very good female vocalist. The staff at6 this bar are wonderful and ensure everyone is happy......in fact, having stayed at Leading Hotels all over the world, this is one of my all-time favourite bars which is as lovely before sunset as it is fantastic in candlelight. I then obtained a table in the Grill restaurant which, although without Roberto's sea view, looks simply stunning and the food and service was absolutely top class.....better than it has been in the past when it was still very good indeed. They may be connected and be sister hotels but I would NEVER stay at Puento Romano......I have stayed once and find it pointless when the far superior Marbella Club is a stroll away. The Puento Romano bar service is hopeless compared to Marbella Club and while I have had good service and food at Roberto's in the past (my wife and I even became engaged there....it used to be so lovely), I no longer would choose to visit due to lowering of standards. Even the Marbella Club guests appear to be a better class of people.

The only problem I can find with Marbella Club is that the sunbeds are not terrificaly comfortable nor are the cushions in the restaurant which is why I normally grab an extra one and double up. Perhaps they are due to be renewed soon? David Shamoosh has done really well in re-invigorating the hotel and I guess he can't replace everything at once. Earlier this year I stayed at the Setai in Miami and Sandy Lane in Barbados where the sunbeds/cushions are FAR superior in every way. That is my main gripe. Otherwise, I love Marbella Club. Concierge could be slightly more together.....previous vist concierge messed up a reservation at Robertos and after five minutes of arguing with a two ladies on reception desk, my wife was accused of making the reservation for the following week.....either Roberto's being useless or a Marbella Club concierge error. Then, after more delay they said, "I suppose we could fit you in." My wife was then shown to a table in corner by hotel pool....very noisy as pool still in use, my wife kept getting splashed. My wife had booked a table overlooking the sea. Lady receptionists refused to move my wife. The food was awful.....really disappointing. I find all receptionists at Marbella Club at front desk and all concierge staff to be really helpful and welcoming although there is one older guy there who can be a little moody.

Guest rooms are good. Grounds wonderful. Staff are happy to drive you around in buggy's if you are infirm. There's a kids club, a decent spa.....it's very nice. Life is too short to bother staying anywhere else in the Marbella area than Marbella Club.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
8 Thank BarryAscot
CAGP, Director of Sales at Marbella Club Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a extensive review of the Marbella Club, it is certainly very helpful for us in order to spot areas that can be improved and not only be proud of the positive sides of the review.

We take good note of the Sunbeds and Restaurant cushins, on our next Board Meeting it will be taken to attention.

With very best regards, we hope to welcome you again very soon!