“Nice hotel beach front location”

Princesa Playa Hotel Apartamentos
Ranked #18 of 70 Hotels in Marbella
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel and overall very happy. I travelled with 11 friends for a stag party and I would deffo go back for the same kind of trip (short break).

We got a room with breakfast for 60 euro's per night ( never managed to get to breakfast) which was excellent value because it is a nice, clean hotel with a great beach front location, although never 4 star but very good for what was required.

To be honest I wouldn't go on holiday to this hotel only because the pool area is very small and if you are a family there isn't anything at all to do in the hotel, however for couples and a few mates going for a weekend away I would deffo suuggest this hotel.

The rooms were self catering type, basic but very clean and done the job. Two of our rooms were upgraded but I must say the I felt the studio rooms were better than the upgraded rooms.

A bottle of beer in the hotel was just over 2 euro's and the a snack, chips and sandwich, pizzza etc was between 5/10 euro very fair indeed.

There was free wi-fi in the lobby and the staff were friendly, like I said overall very good for a certain type of trip, short break.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Morgan071207
There are newer reviews for Princesa Playa Hotel Apartamentos

Reviewed 10 May 2012

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Princesa Playa Hotel in Marbella and we had a great time, the hotel is very clean and the staff are very friendly, we had a room on the side of the hotel which had views of the sea but also apartments adjacent to the hotel but this wasn't and issue to us.

Their is a swimming pool on the roof ( level 8 )which is quite small and there a small number of sun lounges around this area, level 7 has the hotels resturant which has fantastic views over the sea.

If you want a good value hotel in a great location then this is the place for you!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ramplins
Reviewed 8 May 2012

At now there is no season so the hotel was quiet, accept some drunk Italians at night. We live at first floor bu t it was like at third. You can feel that hotel is old, but it is clean and comfortable.
We get the apartments with see view.
The staff was very helpfully.
I can not say anything bed about this hotel

Room Tip: 109 with see view
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2012

My sister was visiting me from another part of Spain. We decided to have a few days at the sea and so we picked this hotel for its location and price. All was pre booked and no problems... until my sister rang me from the hotel. Due to Spanish strikes last month, my flight was delayed. It took me 12 hours door to door to get from Ireland to spain so you can imagine how tired i was. On the bus, my sister who arrived earlier than myself, was told she could not check in as she didn't have her passport. Living and studying in spain, and able to speak fluent spanish, she told the lady at the desk that there was no indication through emails etc that there was a passport needed. I had my passport (coming from abroad) so I told my sister to have a coffee and within 40 minutes I joined at the hotel.

WHilst waiting in line at the hotel, my sister and I made eye contact with the woman at the desk who- quite audibly announced to her collegue that this was the girl without the passport who was trying to check in. 1st customer care rule: don't announce other people's business infront of everyone!

We were dealing with a male at the desk. My sister, in Spanish, once again tried to explain how she didn't think to bring her passport with her. SHe had ID cards (from Spain and Ireland). He said it was the law- which it might be, but she said that she had travelled around Spain before and they always excepted drivers licences and ID cards.THe frustration of it all. There was no manners and customer care skills were poor. Eventually, we got checked in.

We went up to the room straight away as we got the key. I wanted to lie down as I had been up since 3am that morning. It was now after 3.30pm. When we arrived, the door was open. no beds were made, the room was not cleaned. the cleaner asked us what room we were staying in. we told her this room, and she was apologetic saying that it was not ready and perhaps they could move us to another room.

my sister went down to the front desk- and was told by the same man, that they pretty much had enough trouble with us already and that we could just wait until the room was ready.

Eh, 4* customer service? Having travelled around Europe and other parts of the world, I have found better customer service in hotels and B&Bs....

My advice, fork out the extra few euro and stay in a friendlier hotel. Having stayed at the neighbouring Fuerte the previous year, the two hotels are miles apart. Put a real dampener on the beginning of our stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank missschatterbox
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We paid £200 for a one bedroomed apartment for four nights here which was excellent value. Great location on the beach front, lovely clean rooms. The room had everything we needed and was an ok size, and we got a side sea view which was nice. The aircon wasn't very good but in april we could just open the balcony doors and get enough cool air in. The beds were perfectly comfortable.

The pool area had amazing views, and the pool was really warm. There were enough sunbeds for april but I can imagine it would get too busy in peak season. Free wifi in reception was useful.

You could get decent food on the seafront within about a three minute walk from the hotel- however we were surprised to find the area was very quiet with hardly anyone around- some restaurants there would be no one in!

Room Tip: request a seaview as its no extra cost and otherwise you'll just see an apartment block
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank helena333
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Located conveniently at the Northern end of Marbella's promenade next the the Fuerte Grand.

Good: Excellent spacious apartments in goof condition; 4* quality; low prices (when we stayed in March); Friendly staff; next to beach and close to beach front bars; restaurants & centre of town; swimming pool, terrace and buffet bar on rooftop.

Not so good: No restaurant; hard beds; few rooms have double bed and these face soul-less block next door, no outside space at ground level; parking 14 Euro per night; on-street parking pay and display 2 hr limit to 9.00 to 20.00, but free at night; ; swimming pool, terrace and buffet bar on 8th floor rooftop (only sea views by standing at edge); I doubt my back would have withstood more than the three nights on such a hard bed.

Despite the "not-so-goods" this was a pleasant place to stay for a short break and it would be unfair to rate the actual premises and ambiance other than 3. We wanted a sea view which would have "made" the stay a 5, but it was a choice between this or a double bed. It was out anniversary so the double bed won.

This meant that the two main windows to the apartment overlooked by the apartment block next door and the view was this and an inaccessible light well between the two buildings. The reasonable-sized balcony ditto with a side view of the main road through Marbella town, 75 metres away. I would have rated a double-bed apartment with a sea view as a 4, but this will never be a 5 due to lack of ground-floor amenities and cost of parking. A pity, but you get what you pay for.

I was not prepared to pay 14 Euros a night for parking as we were out sightseeing for 2 of the 3 days, but this meant up at 8.30 to feed the pay&display by 9.00.

This is our second trip to Marbella (we were next door at the Fuerte Grand on out honeymoon for one night). We have previously stayed up the Coast at Torremelenos and down at Gibraltar (home of the best hotel in the region, "The Rock").

We won't return to Marbella, not probably to this part of Spain. Over-developed and over-rated.

Room Tip: Sea-view rooms have twin beds only.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HappyCouple_Somerset
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We booked this hotel through Travel Republic (£180 for 5 nights) and were pleasantly surprised how nice and clean the hotel/apts and our studio room was. I asked for a seaview and was given a room on 3rd floor (corner balcony) which partially overlooked the apt blocks next to us but also had a lovely view of the sea. The room was spotless and bathroom was fresh (cleaned daily with new towels) with a powerful stand-in shower. The self catering cooking facilities were ok comprising of a microwave, kettle, 2 ring electic hob and toaster. Unfortunately the only criticism i had was that there wasnt an oven or grill as we had bought a pizza from the local supermarket which eventually we decided to put in the microwave and turned out a bit soggy! Oh and there was only 1 wine glass... luckily my other half doesnt drink wine! Our stopper in sink wasnt working and the maintenance man took it away .. never to be seen again! so our dishes had to be cleaned under running water. The pool area located on the 8th floor is very small and although it was too chilly for us to sunbathe while we were there i wouldnt like to see it in the height of summer! you would have to be up at the crack of dawn to get one of the 20 or so beds. We prefer the beach anyway so no problem there! all in all we were happy with Princesa Playa apts and would definately go back if we went to Marbella again. The Hotel is very centrally located for seafront restaurants (cheaper than eating in the Old Town). Would highly recommend the Indian restaurant 'Jaipur' on the Paseo Maritimo (turn right out of the hotel and its 100 yds walk). Tiger Bay pub further along just at the marina is 'cheap and cheerful drinks 1E for tea, coffee, small beer or wine and the food isnt bad either. Our best meal was undoubtably Da Bruno Italian (seafront near Constitution Park) next to the Claddah irish bar and also recommend The Patio just off Orange Square which is a 10 minute walk into the Old Town. Unfortunately we didnt pick a good week to go weather wise, i think March is a little too early for sunbathing in Costa Del Sol and wish we had waited even another few weeks for the temperature to go up a few degrees. The area is definately getting geared up for holiday season and beaches are being cleaned and restaurants starting to open up but all in all a bit too quiet for me in March (even for a 50 yr old) who would have liked a bit of entertainment at night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a seaview
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple