“Great holiday!”

BlueBay Banus
Ranked #36 of 70 Hotels in Marbella
“Great holiday!”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I stayed here with a friend for a weeks holiday in July- half board. The hotel was lovely! the rooms were basic however we were only sleeping in them so we didn't mind, we asked to change rooms at first because we wanted to be nearer the swimming pool and the staff moved us without any problems. The swimming pool area is beautiful and the bar next to it was great for getting drinks quickly.
The whole hotel is clean and a nice environment to be in. The food was a wide variety of all different types of food in a massive buffet therefore it has something for everyone. The location is a short walk to Puerto Banus main shopping area or about a 2 minute taxi ride, the hotel always would always call us taxi's if we needed one to a destination. It is a great place to stay if you're just looking to relax, sunbathe and enjoy Puerto Banus.

Room Tip: Rooms nearer to the swimming pool are better because you can not hear the road
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alice M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Polish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This hotel almost ruined my entire experience in Spain. Upon reaching the hotel, we were told our room wasn't ready and waited a little more than an hour till it was. That didn't bother us much, we thought it would be worth it. Once our room was ready, we were told it was a 2 minute walk from the lobby, the room was actually well over 5 mins away. Again, that didn't bother us. Turns out that they had gave us rooms on the 3rd floor of the building, this was an issue since we had luggage and there was no elevator. We were around 6 people, and each of us had a suitcase as we were traveling around Spain. We asked some of the hotel staff to help us in carrying our bags up the stairs, and were amazed by the responses we received: "We're too busy". Once again, that didn't bother us too much. When we got to the rooms, we were absolutely disgusted. The rooms are horribly old looking, not deserving of 2 stars let alone 4. Given my previous experience with bed bugs, I decided to check the sheets. The bed was covered with tiny bugs, they were crawling all over the sheets. We immediately went to the reception to complain, and were told not to worry as they were "probably just ants". After throwing a fit, the receptionist decided to upgrade us to the hotel suite. The suite had just the same amount of bugs on the beds, if not more, and also had dead worms all over the balcony. We immediately asked for a refund and left the hotel. Our experience was just disgusting, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
18 Thank Dana B

Travellers are raving about these Marbella hotels

Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Hotels and rooms are in serious need of an update. The rooms look like a sitcom in the 70's.
We paid for half board and only ate there a few nights. The food was ok. The breakfasts were ok to. We could get into PB which is what we wanted.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Joanne H
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Just re-read some of the reviews for this hotel after being there 17-21 Oct 2013. Why would you book a hotel that you 'knew would be bad'?
You don't expect 'service' in a buffet restaurant. Food was fine and varied, only one red wine, fortunately we enjoyed it.
Can't remember anyone complaining about a 'big room' before.
Why am I wasting my time on this 'reveiwer', she must be the manager of the hotel next door!

Reception staff were very friendly and offered us 3 rooms to choose from.
'Big room' was smashing, bathroom was large too. Yes beds were very firm, too firm for us but prob suited others. Second pillow was provided for me without having to ask (I put a blanket under my pillow the first night, next morning extra pillow!)
Pools were pools ! Loungers were loungers! Flies were a nuisance.
Great Caribbean feel to the place and yes we have been to Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominican Republic, Cuba and Pedro's Beach Bar just along from the hotel completed this feeling.

Staff were very friendly and attentive, though short staffed in the restaurant we thought but it is a buffet.

We will definitely go back to the Blue Bay, good value, great location and the staff were fine, I guess if you treat people the way you would like to be treated, it will work...

Great weekend, thanks Blue Bay.

Room Tip: Would recommend 2nd floor rooms around the main pool, ours was 724.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank ClubClassCarService
Reviewed 21 October 2013

i wish i had read the reviews first before booking. the rooms were terrible we got put in a dark pokey corner i asked to be moved but the manager said the hotel was full for another 3 days n to come back,there was loads of empty rooms he thought we would just put up with it, we packed up 3 days later n got moved to another room which was worse it was grotty, old fashioned n beds was hard. meal times were a joke no cuttlery no cups n waitres,s was rude n not helpful, they was stressed out running around as not enough staff on. i never write reviews n when iv read them in the past iv often thought people just like to moan, but believe me this is the worst hotel i have ever stayed in.
location not good either, in taxi its 10 euros each way to the port or a good half hour walk along a dark road if you walk at a fast pace.

Room Tip: chose another hotel !!!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank katrinad228
London UK
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I have been to many budget hotels over the years, as well as five star around the world and you get what you pay for, so I was not expecting much when I booked this place last minute for a rock bottom deal. I read the reviews and knew it would be bad but wanted the location as it is close to PB and I just wanted a base but even expecting the worse, I was not impressed, even as a base.

The food is really bad, so bad I lost weight because I could not face it, in the over crowded packed in like sheep dinning rooms. There is no service and it is a basic help yourself. My room was big and basic with a broken toilet, a very hard bed with small pillows, the phone was broken and the smell from the toilet was offensive.

The pool looks ok but the sun loungers were uncomfortable and all packed together row after row, so close to others you can hear every word anyone says and as many guests were there to party, this was not relaxing at all with flies everywhere. They say they have free wifi but you get 10 mins a day, then you pay, if you can find a connection, which I could not.

The staff seem very angty, rude and all seem like they are ready to kill you if you dare complain or ask for help. I had a very unsavory experience with the front desk when on day 3 I asked once again if the toilet and phone could be mended in my room, the man behind reception lost his mind and made a scene in front of everyone. This hotel was so bad I had to move to another property and I would not recommend unless you are only intending to get drunk and sleep.

Room Tip: My tip is just don,t book as I said unless you are drinking, sleeping and drinking.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank stylishchick
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Wish i had read tripadvisor reviews before booking. We booked a superior room and were more than disapointed. The bed was very uncomfortable (was hard as solid rock and missed top bedding layer). After complaints house keeping tried their best by making a 1/8 inch wool blanket on to it. Room itself was very very basic - on superior room you just pay extra for having more empty floor space. I would have expected some additional furnitures like sofas etc. Further rooms were poorly soundproof. We even had halfboard. Dinner as well as breakfast were chaotic events where few hundred charter tourists struggle and push each other to get food.. Selection was huge but basic and somewhat too fatty. I am a little hard on my review since i honestly expected more due to 4 star rating. Must say that pool area with sunbed etc was beatiful as well as the whole complex as it was build to looke like a spanish village with 2/3 story buildings. Further walking distance to Puerto Banus if you're into nightlife is a plus. As a base without any higher expectations this would do fine and even might be worth for money.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple