“Trusting the tripadvisor reviews totally paid off!!”
Review of La Villa Marbella

La Villa Marbella
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Marbella
New Jersey
“Trusting the tripadvisor reviews totally paid off!!”
Reviewed 24 November 2008

My husband and I will forever be grateful for discovering La Villa Marbella on tripadvisor! We stayed at La Villa Marbella for our honeymoon for 7 nights, and the only negative experience that we had was having to say goodbye to Marbella.

For the first 3 nights, we stayed in the Shanghai room, and we loved the room! Upon arrival, we were surprised to find a bottle of champagne in our room, compliments of La Villa Marbella. Unfortunately, it rained for the first couple of days during our stay, however, we still managed to have a great time in the Old town and even took a day trip to Mijas and Malaga. Marco was so sweet...he gave us a small bag of delicious chocolates with a note apologizing for the bad weather (which was clearly out of his control!). The staff who prepared our breakfast were also very warm and accommodating. The breakfast selection was also very impressive and tasty. There were several days where we couldn't finish the breakfast that we chose, and the staff wrapped the extra food (eg. chocolate croissant) for us to taking on our day trips.

For the last 4 nights, we stayed at the Banyan room, which was another beautiful and more spacious room. It's also more private, since it's located in another building that only has two large rooms in it. The security system in all the buildings was really impressive, so we felt safe the entire time.

Our Marbella trip turned out to be better than we could have ever imagined, and my husband and I are so relieved that we cancelled our original reservation at a larger chain hotel (El Fuerte, which is only a few minutes walk from LVM) and opted for a more quaint and personal experience. Our wish is that there was a "La Villa Marbella" in every city that we plan on visiting in the future!

Since returning to New Jersey, we have been sharing our experience with all of our friends and family. I've even recommended La Villa Marbella to a client, who ended up taking a detour during his Spain trip to take my advice of staying at LVM. I didn't know this until I received an email from him while he was there thanking me and to also tell me that Marco says Hi. Hi to you too, Marco, if you're reading this! :)

Thank you Marco, Bolli and the rest of the LVM team for such a memorable experience! We can't wait to go back!

• Liked — the unique rooms and service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jeffandkarla

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 24 November 2008

Marcos was a true gentleman, charming, friendly and helpful throughout our short stay...nothing was too much trouble for either him or his staff. Restaurant recommendations were excellent, particulary a little Italian named Il Cantuccio which was superb! Breakfast was very enjoyable and the location of the hotel was perfect. We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. If you go to Marbella and you want the personal touch, you must stay here!
Troy & Elaine, N.I.

• Liked — Friendly staff, location, attention to detail
  • Disliked — Nothing, we liked it all
1 Thank Klew70
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 16 November 2008

This superb hotel is one not to be missed. The hospitality shown by the hotel's owner, Marcos, and his staff is a truly memorable experience. His constant efforts to make sure your stay is a fantastic one can only be congratulated by his guests and envied by his competitors. Of course, this would count for nothing if it wasn't for the fact that the hotel itself is outstanding. You really do feel as though you have walked into 5 star quality, with rooms and bathrooms being of such a high standard. The attention to detail is amazing and nothing is left to chance. Location is of great importance and this hotel certainly has that. If you are looking for a true portrait of Spain then you need look no further. From eating breakfast overlooking the mountains to chilling out with a drink in the evening on the roof terrace, this hotel offers a unique experience. If you are looking for corporate blandness then this hotel is not for you. This hotel offered a completely stress free break and we only wish we could have stayed longer. We shall be booking again as soon as we can next year! Thank you Marcos for all your efforts and for making this holiday a special one.
Regards,
Martin and Suzanne,
Ireland

• Liked — Customer Service and standard of accommodation
  • Disliked — Nothing!
1 Thank Heapsters
Boston
Reviewed 8 November 2008

This is my first review on Tripadvisor but our visit to La Villa Marbella was so amazing I felt compelled to write one. I stayed here the first week of September with my husband and my parents. From the moment we arrived Marcos and Boli catered to our every needs. The rooms were very comfortable, clean, tastefully decorated and the scented soaps and lotions were quite nice. Boli made many recomendations for dinner and took care of all of our reservations. We did not have a bad meal the whole week! At dinner, Marcos had the restaurants give us complimentary glasses of Sangria.

My husband and I ate at La Skina for our anniversary dinner and it was delicious. Marcos had the restaurant give us glasses of Cava to celebrate!! It was such a nice evening for us that had started with cocktails on the terrace made by Boli.

The breakfast at the hotel was delicious, there was a lot to choose from including huge croissants, breads, fruits, yogurts, breakfast sandwiches, juice, coffee teas, etc., and they are flexible with the time you would like to eat. One night my husband and I hit the clubs in Puerto Banus until 7am - not waking up until 3pm - at which point Marcos insisted on us eating breakfast!! It was fantastic and I swear he made the coffee extra strong for us!!

The roof top terrace was such a nice way to unwind at the end of the day. There was an honor bar and often Boli or Marcos were there to serve up cocktails. There was free internet, comfy couches and books to read or you could just take in the beautiful views of the mountains and the sunset. When we would return to our room after a day at the beach our bed was turned down, chocolates on the pillows and nice music playing in the background.

I can't say enough nice things about this hotel. They never made you feel uncomfortable when asking for anything and their attention to details was perfect. Our room fridge was always stocked and once they found out our favorite wine, they made sure to put that in there for us! Marcos, Boli and the staff made our stay so enjoyable and I know all of us found it hard to leave and hope to return somday to La Villa Marbella!!

• Liked — The five star service!!
  • Disliked — Nothing!!!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Nottingham
Reviewed 8 November 2008

This is the first time I've contributed to Tripadvisor. We wanted to find a chic retreat in Marbella for a bit of winter sun and relaxation after such a miserable british summer! When we saw the rave reviews for the Villa Marbella we just had to book it - and we weren't disappointed. From the smart car that picked us up from the airport, to the beautiful room (we booked the Saigon room), superb friendly welcome and amazing customer service - we were delighted and pleasantly surprised throughout our week's stay.
The hotel is made up of 4 renovated houses near to each other in the Old Town of Marbella (much nicer than the modern part). ours was in The Courtyard - but the others were very attractive too.The setting is tranquil and very close to the best restaurants, cafes and designer boutiques.
There are smart sun bathing terraces and a cute little swimming pool, a pleasant breakfast room and a lovely roof terrace where the owner Marcos meets guests over evening drinks. We were really made to feel at home.
We have only been back a couple of days but are already planning to visit again!

• Liked — Superb customer service
  • Disliked — nothing - we loved it all!
Glasgow
Reviewed 6 November 2008

This is the first time we have been tempted in anyway to write a review of any hotel we have stayed in, but felt it important. Marcos and his delightful staff ensured that our stay in Marbella was fantastic (even if he couldn't fix the weather for us.) We had two rooms the Boracay & Jaipur as there were four in our party. Both situated in the main buliding on the first floor. Both rooms were beautifully furnished with large well equiped bathrooms.

Marcos and his team are the most attentive and informed hotel staff we have ever come across - nothing was too much trouble, you felt like you were staying with friends. The recommendations for restuarants were great and enhanced the quality of our stay

Breakfast on the terrace was wonderful and informal - the food plentiful and fresh, an excellent place to mix with other guests and exchange stories.

A brilliant hotel for a short break.

• Liked — The hospitality of the staff
  • Disliked — Outdoor pool was a little chilly
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank GlasgowMarkT
Galway
Reviewed 2 November 2008

I agree with all other reviewers this is a very nice hotel (Maybe lodging is a more appropriate word) and it is an amazing location right in the middle of the old town. Marcos and his staff were very friendly and helpful and gave wonderful advice on dining in Marbella. The first room we were given (Shangai, I think) was very small with a four poster bed taking up nealy all the floor space and as it was against the wall it was a bit of a journey getting in and out!!! There was absolutely no space to sit down other than on the bed.We were however quickly moved to a more spacious room when we requested change. This room was still small but met our needs far better. Breakfast was very disappointing and needs to be improved without delay if this hotel is to retain its good name. We were served very ordinary, commercial orange juice, fresh fruit consisting of apple and kiwi to which i'd say some of the orange juice was added , toasted sanwiches on white sliced pan filled with cheap ham and cheese. Better not to offer breakfast atall!!! Cutlery is cheap, a piece literally fell apart under the stress of cutting bread!!! The rooms are nice, the whole complex is very nicely presented, there is a good sun lounge on the top floor but otherwise there are no hotel facilities atall. The pool gets no sun and is small and very insignificant. Overall the experience was much more one of lodgings or bed and breakfast.

Stayed October 2008
2 Thank JulieGalway
MANAGERLAVILLA, Manager / Owner at La Villa Marbella, responded to this review, 5 November 2008
Dear Guest ,

First of all thank you for taking your time to submit a review about us.
We are always aiming to deliver the best service as possible and for us a failure is not an option. We are frustrated that on your case we did not reach a total satisfaction.

Allow me, nevertheless, to highlight some points regarding your review:

You were a customer coming to the hotel without a booking, what we call a walk inn guest. You have requested a room to stay with us and the only one available was Shanghai. You have requested us to see the room first before confirming your booking.
I sent one of my staff to escort you to show the room, the terrace, the facilities, the pool and the buildings.
You came back to the reception and said that everything was absolutely perfect and that you would be delighted to stay with us.
At this point I came personally to help you with your luggage and give the necessary information for parking facilities and about the city. You confirmed to me that Shanghai and The Courtyard were perfect for you.

So it does surprise me your comments about our facilities and rooms since you have physically saw the room and the building and had the freedom to choose to stay or not.

I must say that Room Shanghai has been so far the most requested room of our season. It is a duplex room, with the lower area having our old Chinese four poster bed, very spacious Chinese wardrobe, 32" flat screen TV and all amenities as telephone, wifi, DVD etc. On the higher level we have a spacious bathroom and the true highlight of this room: A very spacious private terrace with table, chairs, 2 sun beds, shower and magnificent views of the old town.
The next day you have expressed your request to change rooms and promptly we have come up with another choice for you. Again, you had the freedom to decide and we were glad that you decided to continue your journey with us for 2 more nights. For me it was a sign of satisfaction and I was very pleased that our proposal of change met your requirements.
You should have at that stage shared with me these problems and I can assure you that all these issues would be resolved and I am convinced I would make you happy.
Regarding breakfast, allow me to share with you some comments:
Fruit juice is delivered daily to our hotel, freshly squeezed.
We do have a wide choice of hot sandwiches, and on this case we do use the most adapted cheese for melting (American Cheddar Cheese), York Ham (the most appropriated for hot sandwiches) or Spanish Iberian Ham for those who want to taste some local specials.
Our Fruit Salad is made daily, in the morning, to be fresh and tasty. There is a minimum mix of 4 fruits. I believe that this was what you have got.
The cutlery is hand made in Thailand and is well appreciated by our guests. True my staff confirmed to me that one of the pieces broke under effort. We are sorry for that but it was the first time that it has happened in 4 years of operation.
We regret the breakfast did not meet your expectations but we trust, as other guests highlighted, we have a very nice, healthy and tasty breakfast using the best quality products available.

As per the pool, indeed we do not have an Olympic or 5 star classic size pool since it does not fit inside a 154 years old town house.
We must say anyway that this is the only pool available in the old town, all our guests are very happy to enjoy it along our beautiful solarium and it has been highlighted in numerous reviews.
With all the respect it is not an insignificant pool and it goes in line with the nature and size of the buildings in this area.
Unfortunately I agree that you could not see the sun shining in the pool since the sun is carrying an autumn/winter position (less exposure) and it did rain almost the whole length of your stay, which has obviously prevented you to see the sun and use the terrace of Shanghai.

We are not a B&B or lodging . By Spanish regulations we were officially named as a hotel , but above all La Villa Marbella has become thanks for all guests that stayed with us ( more than 5.000 guests ) something different , simply La Villa Marbella.
It is not a classical and common Hotel as you might have expected.
As other guests said, if you are looking for an common hotel, in a common location , with classical equipment, grounds, big rooms, big pools, lifts, gardens or piano lounges, La Villa Marbella was definitely not for you.
We have a group of 4 houses, linked by the most advanced communication systems and our rooms carry the best equipment available on the market. It is beautifully and tastily decorated and above all immaculate clean.
Our Houses range from 120 to 160 years old and are nested on the most beautiful area of our magnificent Old town .We have a tremendous passion and proud of what we do, what we have and what we deliver that is why this response might look long for you.
And that is the whole experience that our guests have been enjoying so far and will always enjoy.
You said to us before leaving that you would come back, and I hope that you really will come back and we will do our outmost to match your expectations and make you happy with us.

Kind regards