“Good but needs improving”

Senator Marbella Spa Hotel
Ranked #29 of 70 Hotels in Marbella
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Good but needs improving”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Overall I'd say that we walked away happy with our overall holiday as the location and the people were wonderful. We came with our two young girls.

The hotel:
Bright, light, airy, spacious feel, contemporary and quiet. It was fully booked when we were there and you wouldn't have known. If you are looking for a bit of peace, even with kids, it's here.
You have to pay a daily charge of €5.25 for the safe - nobody was happy about that, maybe this is local policy, think it's unnecessary.

The staff:
Welcoming, friendly, hospitable, helpful - thank you all behind reception and cafe con leche makers!
There were moments where, because of short staffing that hey acted well under pressure, never lost their cool. I felt a few more staff employed in such high season would have been of great benefit.
There seemed to be no manager whilst we were there. One evening I was trying to call for a request but the line was busy for ages, I've never had that before luckily. I ended up going downstairs and saw a few people asking for things with the same complaint of not getting through. Like I said the staff dealt with it well, but they were so obviously unnecessarily understaffed.

The spa:
Lovely, has a sauna, steam room, ice room, jacuzzi, massaging water sprays and a pool... oh and a lemon spa pool where you can't touch the lemons (Erm, impossible! we all did... sorry!).
Really lovely to go with kids, can't do that in the UK. They have to be out by 1:30pm per policy, this is plenty of time. We had lunch and a rest after and then off to the beach!
Rony was very helpful. My daughter cut her toe in one of the tiles in the water, she acted professionally and dealt with the first aid well. However, the fact that there was a lack of maintenance to have a loose tile in water is not ok, it was a deep cut and took 2 days to stop bleeding.

Our room:
Balcony overlooking the beautiful mountains and not so nice dusty car park, we didn't want to pay €50 extra per night for a better view. We used that towards the great choice of restaurants along the seafront and stunning old town. €10 deposit for orange towels for use in swimming pool and spa so you just use the room ones for your shower/bath.

Wifi:
Yes 24 hour wifi so you need to keep getting it connected but it's free and good enough for emails and social media.
There is a charge for better connection but i overheard a customer not happy with the service so may have been a bad day.

The pool:
Really lovely beautiful rooftop stunning views. A good sized pool and two jacuzzis.
No staff upstairs, just a couple of vending machines if you wanted a snack/drink.
Just after my daughter's toe healed she sadly cut herself again, on another toe. She said with her goggles she saw loose tiles in the pool, so I'm guessing it's those. I'm suspecting the management of maintenance is very poor at this hotel. The first aid kit in the toilet was empty.
However Rony came to help again - my daughter adored her.

Reception staff were very helpful and apologetic, we were offered an evening meal and very early cold breakfast before we left, it was our last day at that point and they did there best to succour the situation without a manager to support them. Why is there not a manager during high season and a fully booked hotel? - ridiculous!

The pool toilets:
Ok be really really quick! The lights last about 5 seconds, no kidding! Not motion sensitive as expected, hence my youngest tripped and fell in the darkness. Just super silly!

The surrounding area:
We loved the location, it's not too near the busy area but close enough to get to the centre of action. If you like to be in the thick of it, this is not for you, it suited us. You are also near big supermarkets to fill your fridge.

Along the beach strip to your right is the direction of Puerto Banus and to your left the centre of Marbella, a short walk. The hotel is at the Playa (beach) Casablanca point.
The barbecue smells of sardines and steak tempt you, all food we had was delicious, so don't do full board as you may regret it. Just note, most places have a cover charge of 1 to 1.50 a person.
Orange Square - find it - it's beautiful - splash out! We ate in the centre, costly but delicious!
Walk towards the seafront after dinner and see the Dali sculptures.
Orange Square is a 15-20 minute walk from the hotel (ok ok, longer for me as I kept stopping at shops)

Markets:
Really I've had a better barter at Tescos! Some nice stuff but mostly tat - perhaps it helps to speak Spanish - my challenge for next time we go! I do love a good barter and didn't get that fun had - we got either "no" or "it was more expensive last week" ...pah!

Transfer advice:
If you can help it, don't get a transfer, you will miss at least 4 hours of your life each way, that's a good days fun you've paid for! Pay extra for a taxi or just hire a car. We found out that a family car would have cost us about €96 and the transfer cost £100.

Gibraltar trip:
Not really enough time on day trips was the consensus, especially the Dolphin Adventure (major pods - amazing!!!) as we didn't have a chance to see the Monkeys - shame :( If you have a car the petrol there is super cheap and you've duty free shopping, interesting place and history.

Overall the hotel was a poor 4 star and should definitely be re-rated or maintained. With some extra staff and maintenance it would have been a higher rating for sure. Management of Senator Marbella Spa Hotel, your staff are great, but support them, employ more staff and maintain your pool and spa tiles.
If it wasn't for staff professional abundant, help we would have put 2 stars on this rating.

Room Tip: Top floors are better for views of course. You may want to pay extra to avoid the dusty car park, bu...
1 Thank sophiesnap
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Marbella Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your comments, as it is through them the best way we can improve the quality of our service, understanding the perception of our product and most important the quality and friendly service we provide.
I deeply sorry for the cutting of your daughter. Let me Know that I was informed puntually, but I was outside the hotel this saturday, it would be my pleasure to serve you personally. I have personally seen how long WC lights of the pool and is 5 minutes. I depply sorry for your discomfort.
We will have very much in mind your impressions and we will work to improve these points marked so that in the next visit your perception of the product received is entirely satisfactory. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you want to return to the hotel and try to make your stay as pleasant as possible.
Thank you very much for your comments. We want to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you've told us

Miguel Ángel Piedra
Gerente Senator Marbella SPA Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Marbella not normally a place I would choose, but daughter working there meant we travelled out for a short weekend break to help her pack up! Arrived well past midnight, staff could not have been more helpful and welcoming.
Little disappointed with room, 2 queen beds pushed together, with not much room to walk around, but as we did not intend to spend much time there perfectly adequate. Room was always cleaned to a very high standard each day. Lovely roof top pool overlooking bay and mountains, and the spa was equally enjoyable giving a lovely relax to a day of exploring Marbella. Very easy walk to a not so crowded part of the beach, but lovely prom to walk along if you wanted to. Easy reach walking to the shops and old part. Breakfast was a very generous buffet style including a glass of bubbly if you desired. Food was plentiful and freshly stocked, fresh omelettes and hot food spooked to order. At tentative staff, and a lovely spa treatment room (pay extra for) should you wish.

1 Thank Denise v
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Marbella Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Guest,
We once again thank you and are looking forward welcoming you to any of our establishments

Farnborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights so we could see Enrique Iglesias in concert at the auditorium of Marbella. The location for this was good - less than $10 euros for the taxi ride.

The hotel is a short stroll (no more than 5 minutes) to the beach, where there is numerous restaurants and bars if you walk left on the promenade. The sunbeds on the beach are $5 each per day, but the ones by the pool were not too busy, especially considering we stayed mid-august. The outdoor pool was not heated, but this was a relief after being in the sun for a while!

We stayed on a half board basis, and both breakfast and dinner were a buffet. There was a very wide selection of foods at both: at breakfast there was everything you could want - bread, fruit, cheese, jam & others, yoghurts, pastries and cereals and a chef would cook omelettes or bacon/eggs if you ask. This was the same at dinner: on different nights, pork, prawns, salmon and other fish/meat was available to be cooked fresh.
The bar was very good value - cheaper than all the bars we visited outside the hotel and also served sandwiches, coffee and pastries at lower prices.
All the staff were very lovely and all spoke English well, so understanding will not be a problem.

No complaints!

The only thing that we were not told is that for the air conditioning to work, you have to make sure the door to the balcony is properly closed!

1 Thank Terri P

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The spa at this hotel is absolutely amazing! The hotel location is not right on the beach; however it is only an easy 5 minute walk to the beach. It’s not located right where all the shops and restaurants are, however that’s probably a 15-20 minute walk along the beach which is very lovely too!

All the reception staff can speak English which is great since my Spanish is very below par. The room was quite spacious; I had two large double beds just for me! There’s a bar fridge also that you can keep your drinks or any snacks in. The bathroom has a lovely tub to soak in as well but you don’t need that since the spa downstairs is divine. There’s massage water jets and different temperature pools. Not to mention a Turkish bath and a sauna, one for swimwear and one without. If you want to lay by a pool and catch rays instead, the roof top pool is quite large and that also has massage jets. There’s also the outdoor Jacuzzi next to it. I stayed at another hotel at Marbella and this was by far the best of the two!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Cairnschick
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Marbella Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2013

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Stayed here with my mom and 13year old daughter. .for my pre wedding girls only trip..had a fantastic time the main man on the desk who worked on the evenings was always so pleasant and most helpful. .all staff were lovely. .very very clean hotel and wonderful spar..great location. Holiday was that good. ..I came back for my honeymoon. .and my husband agreed...this hotel was a top 10/10 many thanks xx...and omg....that view from roof top pool! !! Is stunning. ..u have to visit this hotel...im planning my next visit asap ♥

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank amazinggems
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Marbella Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2013

Reviewed 8 August 2013

I am here with my wife and 14 year old daughter and it is just bliss.

The buffet breakfast and dinner are excellent with a superb choice - the grill is an added bonus.

Rooms are spotless and have free wi-fi and air con is godsend.

Staff are very attentive and very efficient.

Rooftop pool gives great views over Marbella and across to Puerto Banus and on clear day you can even see Gibraltar!!

Will definitely come back and would have no hesitation in recommending!!

Cameron McNeil

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Cami1967

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Me and my friend stayed at the hotel just recently for 4 nights, we caught a bus from Malaga airport to the Marbella bus station which was closer than expected to the hotel, you couldn't walk it though so get a taxi its around 7-9 euros.
Staff were very friendly at the hotel, we stayed on floor 6 and had a pretty crabby view but we weren't fussed as we didn't really stay in the room. View from the pool on the floor above was epic and the pool was clean and perfect with 2 Jacuzzis either side. Bliss.

The room itself was spotless and big, never switched the tv on so cant tell you quality etc, Good shower pressure and a pretty up to date to be fair.
Aircon worked, and a ceiling fan aswell! And quiet at night even though we overlooked the road which was good!
We went to the spa when it opened one morning, this is a great extra facility for free, its bigger than the spas ive been to in the UK and we were very impressed.

Breakfast was really nice, and echoing other reviews, omelettes made to order were great as filled you up a lot. Even though we went in peak season there was no queuing.

You are quite away from Puerto Banus its around 12 euros here in a taxi, which is quite a lot when you got to get one there and back, we took the bus back one day, but absolute nightmare to find!! But was only 1 euro 60 each.

Marbella old town is about 15 minute walk along the beach front we ate here most nights and they have one ice cream shop which was to die for!!! Lovely walk and great that the beach was only 5 minute walk from the hotel!

Only one criticism, there wasn't much information about the surrounding area or places to go, we asked one day how to get to Torreminlinos we were told to go to the bus station and get the bus (which took well over 1hr 30 mins was pretty shocked when 45 mins from Malaga airport) and it would drop you in Torreminilos bus station - we were dropped at a bus stop in the middle of what to us was nowhere, we had to ask another hotel how to get back, and they had a detailed map showing us where to go...thankfully!

Also when they ring a taxi for you.....wait outside!! They ask you to wait on the sofa, but then the taxi driver goes to reception and waits to be served only to be told its us sat on the sofa, obviously whilst this is all happening his meter is ticking over - probably should have gathered that one ourselves, but wish they'd said wait outside as he'd clocked an extra 6 euros before we even began our journey!

I would definitely go back to this hotel, as those are literally my only 2 downfalls, but we will know for next time, the hotel itself is really good and chilling. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: We had a room underneath the pool and this was quiet but no view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends