“Beautiful venue, but well below par food & service”

Olivia Valere Babilonia
Ranked #543 of 1,499 Restaurants in Marbella
Price range: US$56 - US$80
Cuisines: International
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We visited Olivia Valere last week as we had heard that it was a stunning location with high-end food etc., so my husband booked it for my birthday.

We arrived at 9.30 to an empty venue; apparently we were the first reservation of a fully booked night. Soon after, the space started to fill up quite quickly. The menu was a 3course set menu, priced at €90pp and claimed that the night also included a show during dinner - "Magic with the Stars" - first we had heard of this!
Anyhow to cut long story short, the food was okay. I had a seafood soup to start- tasty but nothing amazing; with salmon for main (not good - a little cold, quite bland and quite tough) and a glace nougat for dessert (again fine, but nothing special). My husband liked his meal, but again wasn't overly impressed.

Midway through our mains was when the show started, and I can only say bizarre. A show definitely not suitable for kids (!) and despite the shows title, included no magic...
A mixture of opera singing,(good) tango dancing, (not bad) acrobatics, (vgood) abseiling in balaclavas, (bizarre) pole dancing and dominatrix style performances followed by topless Las Vegas style finale. (are words required?) It was a really tacky and tasteless show which really we could have done without.

Lastly, service: slow throughout the night, with staff not easily identifiable as maybe only half wear uniform. No discernable knowledge or care was obvious. When you manage to get the attention of any staff member, they usually had to go fetch another for all sorts of reasons - they didn't take orders/ didn't know / didn't speak English and more.

Sorry folks.
Wouldn't recommend this place at all.
All style & no substance.

8  Thank SharonCrowley13

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Dinner has a fixed price not inckuding wines. Foos is just average with very good service. There is a show starting around 10,30 PM, but not at all appropiate for children. The disco opens around midnight but with extremely high prices. High class customers mixed with Russian millionaires (abd Russian girls flying around).

5  Thank fran07Belgium
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We went there 4 of us that went for a special night.

We went there a number of years ago and the venue, setting and food was all just perfect and special. That was then this is now and what a transformation in a negative way.

The show was very good, but thats where the positive comments finish.

The food was ok, thats the best I can say. For the money we paid 450 euro for 4 people they need to get a reality check and produce food that matches the prices we were charged.

The service is terrible. The time between courses was forever. The gap was so long at the end we didn't even get a sweet. No apology no reduction on the bill no, nothing.

Pros; The show and the venue

Cons; The prices for average food, the service being absolutely NAFF, NAFF, pathetically BAD.

If you have a choice go to somewhere else on this coast, like, Largo's, Hermosa or Play Write who will treat you better and where the food you get would be fantastic.

This place deserves to fold with the food and services it produces which is a pity its a fantastic venue and good show

6  Thank Jaktam
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Went a couple of weeks ago with all the intentions on having a fab night. I was planning on getting tipsy and having a boogie after dinner but that was not possible as the service was sooooo slow and they had no idea how to make a mojito or anything similar. I was stone cold sober by the end of the meal. I cant believe service is so slow as they are losing money on people not ordering drinks. food was v. average. I would have paid £15-20 for the 2 courses I had back in the UK however it was more than triple that here. My salad starter was 30Euro!
Show was 'ok'. I guess they whack the prices up as you are getting 'entertainment'.
Went to the adjoining club afterwards which was nice but again they didnt serve mojitos.
I would not go back.

3  Thank BunnyGirl80
Reviewed 17 August 2012

The only thing I can say about this place is: DO NOT go there!!! It’s a rip off!!!!
The venue is very nice but table decoration is very cheap (artificial flowers, cheap candle holders), very cheap show if we can call this a show!
Dinner doesn’t start before 10pm but that’s ok because you’re in Spain, you have to wait for ever before a waiter comes along to take your order, you end up paying a fortune for nothing. I’ve been to very expensive restaurants before but it was worth it. We’ve ordered the gambas for 42€ and ended up having 3 gambas and 1 LEAF of salad!!! We also had the salmon with just a little bit of rice and it was tasteless! Needless to say that we were very disappointed!! The desert was simply awful!!! When you charge people so much, you at least have to deliver a perfect cuisine and service, it’s not all about the venue. We had to ask the bill to 4 different waiters before having it!
We’ve been there last year for a couple of drinks and we were very impressed with the venue and decided to go back this year for dinner and would never go back again.
Definitely NOT the place to be!!!
Olivia, do yourself a favor and hire a good chef, redecorate your tables and deliver perfect service!

5  Thank Marky1977