“Great, but small wardrobes”

Sol Don Pablo by Melia
Ranked #9 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This is a fabulous hotel with great food and entertainment. However it was not as good as it could be in the double rooms. The wardrobe space was barely enough for one person and we had to cram our clothes in on the hangers! There has been a good refurbishment to the bathroom. The hotel must now consider extending the wardrobe space as well, as creased clothes are not what we want on holiday!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Chris P
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pablo by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Chris P,
Many thanks for choosing the Sol Don Pablo and for taking the time to send in your positive review. I am glad that you were so impressed by the food and entertainment as well as the bathroom refurb. Your point is noted regarding the wardrobes. They were newly installed two years ago but it is true that they are not very large, particularly for winter long-stay guests.
Thanks for your suggestion and thanks again for your review.
I hope that we see you again in the future.
Jaime Floyer.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,571)

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 1st to 4th March
The hotel is a little tired as was the rooms I stayed in room 838 the front door was so loose on the latch when the wind was blowing outside it would rattle as would the glass partition on the balcony
We had 2 nights of gales.
1st morning we went to breakfast we cued for twenty minutes and what a bun fight when we eventually got in.
The orange juice was watery, the coffee was awful and the natural yogurt was also watery!!!! How do you manage that
And on top of that the staff weren't exactly the friendliest to say the least even the cleaner on our floor couldn't even be bothered to say ola in the mornings and yes I did speak. Any way we didn't let it spoil our time in torre and for the second time it was great even if the weather could have been better
Me manager if you want to know what a proper 4 star hotel is then visit the rui nautilus thats 4 star.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mike11959
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pablo by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Dear Mike11959,
I am sorry that you were so disappointed with your stay at the Sol Don Pablo. I appreciate your taking the time to let us know your feelings. All comments are useful to us and will be treated as opportunities for improvement.
I am sorry that you had to experience the extreme winds that we suffered earlier this month. It certainly doesn't help to improve a holiday experience.
I hope that you enjoy your future holidays in Torremolinos.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a short Monday to Friday stay at this excellent hotel. The room was of a very good standard as was the food. I have walking problems but found that the main promenade with all of the shops etc were very close by and as such meant I did not have to walk very far to access them. We had paid for a sun facing room and this was a good decision as we had the sun all afternoon unlike the rooms on the other side. The only downside was the building work which we did not know about prior to arrival and on one particular afternoon they were fitting some fire doors and the constant banging noise was not good. It sounded like a tennis ball being constantly hit against a wall and when I called the reception to find out where the noise was coming from,thier reply was " Sorry it is building work and it wiil be the same again tomorrow. Apart from this annoyance the hotel was excellent.

Room Tip: If you require the sun on your balcony,pay the extra for a sun facing room. It's worth every pen...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TyroneM378

Dear Tyrone M,
Thank you for writing your review of your short stay and the Don Pablo. I am so glad that you liked the hotel so much and appreciate you letting everyone know.
I am sorry that you were a bit inconvenienced by the updates that we have been carrying out this winter. Unfortunately periodic changes in health and safety legislation require us to make changes - this year adding new fire doors and decreasing the depth of the swimming pool. We have at least taken advantage of the latter to make the Don Pablo pools much more attractive. I am particularly sorry that you did not receive information about this prior to booking; all the Tour Operators were made aware of these works.
I hope that we see you again in the future.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Whilst the area around the outdoor pools was a building site it did not in any way detract from our enjoyment of the Don Pablo, we were once again made most welcome by all the staff and the evening entertainment gets better. We will be back again very soon

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Harry J

Dear Harry J,
Thanks for coming back to see us again and please come back soon. I apologise for the building works and am glad that they did not inconvenience you too much. The finished article will be wonderful, especially for those guests who come a little later in the year and can enjoy outdoor bathing.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

We had an enjoyable 4 night stay at the Hotel Sol Don Pablo. The restaurant served fantastic food . Negatives - Refurbishment program which was not advised and expensive bar prices, outwith happy hour.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Derek F

Dear DJFAberdeen_,
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Sol Don Pablo. All comments and opinions are very welcome and the genuinely help us to adapt our services to the requirements of our guests.
I am sorry about the swimming pool works. As I have mentioned to other members of the forum, they have been undertaken to comply with a change is safety legislation although we have taken the opportunity to make cosmetic changes at the same time. I am sorry if you were not advised beforehand. We did make sure that all tour operators were aware of what we were doing. I hope that you were not overly inconvenienced.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Sol Don Pablo is one of three connected Hotels (Don Pedro & Don Marco) all for different budgets. Between them they offer all you could want in a Hotel. Food is very good, Staff are excellent, rooms are comfortable and the entertainment is good, there are more than enough areas to relax or celebrate and with nine pools to choose from what more could you want, this place is a treasure. All three Hotels have a very Spanish feel, and are all the better for it, much better than modern brightly lit anonymous glass and plastic boxes. This was our second visit and after visiting dozens of Hotels in Spain we consider this complex as the standard to reach, we have already booked again for May. Two outside pools were being upgraded during our stay and some people seemed upset by it even though it was January and no one was swimming (there were seven other pools) these things have to be done and some noise is to be expected, its nice to see money being spent on facilities, I look forward to using the new pools in May. I was very impressed by the manager Jaime Floyer who was very accessible and ready to talk to guests, likewise all the staff, doing a good job. All in all a excellent holiday. Thank You all.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Shramore
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pablo by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Shramore,
Thank you for choosing the Sol Don Hotels again and thank you for writing your review.
I am so glad that you appreciate the complex so much; so much so that you are coming back in the spring!
I appreciate your patience regarding the renovation of the swimming pools. We are a 40-year old hotel complex and we can only maintain our excellent reputation by constantly modernizing. In truth the annual winter renovation programme is usually more discrete than this but I am sure that all our guests will find it to have been worthwhile.
We look forward to seeing you in May.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Lovely staff. Good rooms with excellent blackout curtains, but noise does seem to travel from nearby rooms and corridors (no carpets to deaden the sound). Avoid Valentines weekend if you value your sleep. The buffet breakfast and dinner is fairly mediocre, with a few nice surprises, better for carnivores than vegetarians. Things run out during the breakfast rush, and why can't they replace those lidless teapots? January/February seems to be the construction period, last year the hotel entrance, this year the swimming pools, and the only compensation for the disturbance is an apologetic notice in the lift. Free (but slow) WIFI near the lobby and bar. Palatial lounge areas for a comfy read or chat. Room safes are €2 per night. No tea-making facilities, so bring a travel kettle.

Room Tip: Fifth floor rooms have walk-in showers. I believe the floors below have baths. There is a shade side...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank TelonExpert

Dear Telon Expert,
Thanks for taking time to review the Sol Don Pablo. As I am sure you are aware, we rely in your feedback to help us to keep improving the service and facilities.
I am glad to see that you like the rooms and common areas although am sorry to see that the food did not especially please you. I have already looked into the speed of the free WiFi and will ensure that it is improved.
I understand your comments regarding the building works. This is a time of year when any improvements have to be made to the hotel. It is the period of lowest room rates and lowest occupancy and we try to ensure that there are always full facilities for the guests that are with us at that time. I am sorry that you were so upset by them and I beg you to accept our apologies.
I hope taht we have the chance to see you again in the future.
Kind regards.